Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

I have no problem with Jane being a Valkyrie. But killing off all of the others, yeah that was a terrible idea no matter how Aaron tries to justify it.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'm still disappointed that Jane is no longer Thor. Being a Valkyrie, no matter how unique or powerful, feels like a consolation prize.

And I don't get why it was necessary to kill them off. That's like if DC were to kill off all of the Amazons. It's an unnecessary plot point to advance Jane's story. Whenever someone retcons that all of them are dead, I'll be the first to applaud.

Lastly, this is an appreciation thread, but it's not a Natalie Portman appreciation thread, so I hope it's not poor form to say that while I respect Portman's acting chops, I just don't see her as the right person to portray Thor. Wish they had recast the part. Or maybe keep Portman as Jane, but when she changes into Thor, a different woman plays that role. Guess we'll have to wait and see how that all turns out.

Mighty Member

Big fan of Jane-Thor . For a first issue, it was good but not on Jason Aaron level. It was really by-the-number, and the revelation of the vilain at the end was cool but not jaw-dropping. Maybe it's the antagonists, maybe it's the tempo, but this first issue, for me, was unimpressive
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I have no problem with Jane being a Valkyrie. But killing off all of the others, yeah that was a terrible idea no matter how Aaron tries to justify it.
    I doubt he will try and justify it. It’s just part of a story. What’s the problem?
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm still disappointed that Jane is no longer Thor. Being a Valkyrie, no matter how unique or powerful, feels like a consolation prize.
    Yep. That’s nagging me. Not that she needed to stay Thor, but if she’s going to have a comic then why not Thor. Brand confusion is just an excuse.

Lastly, this is an appreciation thread, but it's not a Natalie Portman appreciation thread, so I hope it's not poor form to say that while I respect Portman's acting chops, I just don't see her as the right person to portray Thor. Wish they had recast the part. Or maybe keep Portman as Jane, but when she changes into Thor, a different woman plays that role. Guess we'll have to wait and see how that all turns out.
    Honestly, she will be fine. She’s a much better actress than many people give her credit for.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Big fan of Jane-Thor . For a first issue, it was good but not on Jason Aaron level. It was really by-the-number, and the revelation of the vilain at the end was cool but not jaw-dropping. Maybe it's the antagonists, maybe it's the tempo, but this first issue, for me, was unimpressive
    This is also going to be a problem for me. Not that I didn’t like the issue, but that it doesn’t feel like Aaron. Whether the two can merge their styles and create something interesting is still up in the air. Let’s give them a little time, but how much time will they realistically have? 12 issues to prove themselves is my bet.

I enjoyed issue #1 of Jane's Valkyrie comic well enough. It did have an older feel to it, though. Jane having a secret identity in her Thor comic was a neat part of that book. Jane's struggle with cancer while secretly being Thor was really great. Here, it felt almost a little to old school. It came across as more of a standard super hero secret identity, the kind that you would find in just about any other comic.
    Still liked the comic, and I am looking forward to the next issue.

They did explain the secret identity. She was hoping to be able to keep working, which would be impossible if her identity as Thor/Valkyrie was public knowledge. Unfortunately though, she's just been demoted to morgue assistant for being unreliable! She must be wondering if it's really worth it. I'd like her to meet Spider-Gwen. She's had the same problems, and is now coming to 616 to study (and later to work) because she can't get into school or a job in her own world because she made the mistake of outing her secret identity. And Jane did wonder how Spider-Man manages it... Peter's currently unemployed, which proves that he doesn't really handle it well either. Ms. Marvel and the other Spider-Man only get away with it because they're still at school.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They did explain the secret identity. She was hoping to be able to keep working, which would be impossible if her identity as Thor/Valkyrie was public knowledge. Unfortunately though, she's just been demoted to morgue assistant for being unreliable! She must be wondering if it's really worth it. I'd like her to meet Spider-Gwen. She's had the same problems, and is now coming to 616 to study (and later to work) because she can't get into school or a job in her own world because she made the mistake of outing her secret identity. And Jane did wonder how Spider-Man manages it... Peter's currently unemployed, which proves that he doesn't really handle it well either. Ms. Marvel and the other Spider-Man only get away with it because they're still at school.
    Yeah, I get the secret identity and how it's supposed to work. It just feels a little typical to how other super hero's secret identity's work. I could easily see Spider-Man getting demoted at his job because of how tough it is to be a hero and balance his regular life. That kind of thing feels more like typical hero stuff to me. The secret identity problems that being Valkyrie are causing Jane feel a little less compelling to me than when she was a cancer patient. The cancer patient as Jane's secret identity and the struggles Jane had to overcome when she was Thor just felt like a less typical secret identity idea . Though I know that Flash Thompson was an amputee when he wasn't Venom and it could cause different problems to overcome. So there is some similarity there. I just thought Jane's secret identity issues as a cancer patient when she was Thor were a little more compelling.
    That's just my opinion.

Or, perhaps Jane being a cancer patient and the problems that it caused her in her secret identity are more typical in hero comics are more typical than I realize. I wont pretend that I have read as many comics as most members of this forum. And I've already brought up Flash myself.

I hope that this post helps clarify the point that I was trying to make, because I don't feel as if I am doing a good job of articulating what I mean to say here.
    Last edited by Thievery; 07-25-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Yeah, I get the secret identity and how it's supposed to work. It just feels a little typical to how other super hero's secret identity's work. I could easily see Spider-Man getting demoted at his job because of how tough it is to be a hero and balance his regular life. That kind of thing feels more like typical hero stuff to me. The secret identity problems that being Valkyrie are causing Jane feel a little less compelling to me than when she was a cancer patient. The cancer patient as Jane's secret identity and the struggles Jane had to overcome when she was Thor just felt like a less typical secret identity idea . Though I know that Flash Thompson was an amputee when he wasn't Venom and it could cause different problems to overcome. So there is some similarity there. I just thought Jane's secret identity issues as a cancer patient when she was Thor were a little more compelling.
    That's just my opinion.

Or, perhaps Jane being a cancer patient and the problems that it caused her in her secret identity are more typical in hero comics are more typical than I realize. I wont pretend that I have read as many comics as most members of this forum. And I've already brought up Flash myself.

I hope that this post helps clarify the point that I was trying to make, because I don't feel as if I am doing a good job of articulating what I mean to say here.
    I think it makes perfect sense. I was trying to say something similar when I said it felt quite DC like. This is actually not the normal mode of storytelling at Marvel anymore. Not for the majority of characters. It may make things interesting but I share your reservations. Let’s see how it goes.

All in all it is more of a feeling than a logical thing, so it’s not that easy to convey.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I think it makes perfect sense. I was trying to say something similar when I said it felt quite DC like. This is actually not the normal mode of storytelling at Marvel anymore. Not for the majority of characters. It may make things interesting but I share your reservations. Let’s see how it goes.

All in all it is more of a feeling than a logical thing, so it’s not that easy to convey.
    There's something about that talk with Brunnhilde that makes me feel that Jane's desire to keep a foot in both worlds may be something she'll have to sacrifice before the end of this run. But we'll see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This is also going to be a problem for me. Not that I didn’t like the issue, but that it doesn’t feel like Aaron. Whether the two can merge their styles and create something interesting is still up in the air. Let’s give them a little time, but how much time will they realistically have? 12 issues to prove themselves is my bet.
    I believe it's because Al Ewing stronger suits resides in more down to earth content. His Mighty Avengers was good but nothing outstanding, while Aaron's probably best suit is his outworldly content. I thought the issue was good, but was a bit more surprised how street level it is.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I believe it's because Al Ewing stronger suits resides in more down to earth content. His Mighty Avengers was good but nothing outstanding, while Aaron's probably best suit is his outworldly content. I thought the issue was good, but was a bit more surprised how street level it is.
    Ewing is very versatile, just look at Ultimates, Immortal Hulk, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ewing is very versatile, just look at Ultimates, Immortal Hulk, etc.
    On the other hand New Avengers and his Loki book. Not so much from where I am sitting. For me he has a very patchy record. I loved Ultimates. Immortal Hulk for me began to loose it and I dropped off the book completely. I know it’s a critical darling but it started to be overwritten and the subtext became actual text. Thats not what I want in a comic.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-25-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Fantastic Member

I know what's wrong, nobody called her fake Valkyrie and she didn't smash the patriarchy yet or beat up somebody for flirting with her, i knew some quality writing was missing here. Otherwise it feels just like your superhero comic and nobody wants that.