Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    While True, something tells me the Valkyrie Role is going to be limited, with Jane reverting back to Mighty Thor with her absorbed Mjornir once the Thor movie takes off. While I'll appreciate this story, a huge feeling tells me this is merely a holding spot until Mighty Thor popularity explodes in the mainstream.

I know some people think the comics are slaves to the movies and always follow suit, and I won't deny it sometimes happens, but it is far from a universal thing, it really depends on the specific book and most likely the editor. The Thor comics have not really done that, aside from a few cosmetic changes and nods for the most part. We wouldn't have had Jane as Thor in the first place if they had been aping the movies. Closest we came was the introduction of Malekith as a villain around the same time as Thor 2 was on the horizon, but they went a VERY different direction with him. (thankfully, movie version was incredibly boring) Thor lost an eye and became all-father after the same thing happened in the movies, but looking at King Thor, it is obvious that was planned from the start, and it wasn't a case of them imitating the movies, it just coincidentally ended up that way, or Taika took that from King Thor in the comics. (the haircut tho is likely inspired by the movies, but that is one of the cosmetic changes mentioned, it doesn't really impact the stories) I doubt they will have Thor walk away from the All-Father position and join the Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics, either.

Basically, I very much doubt they'd give her (and the other characters) this new role just to revert it because of the movie. Which is based on a run that JUST happened. I mean isn't that the perfect example of what Hickman was saying about why the comics shouldn't ape the movies? What are they going to do, just repeat themselves because the movie chose to use a recent storyline to adapt? Wouldn't it make more sense to advertise the trades the movie is based on, and point to Jane's book and say that is where she is now? Besides, though it hasn't been explicitly stated yet, unless you count the couple times he has been called the 'defender of the realms' in interviews, I think there is already a new "Thor" now that Thor is All-Father, and while he is likely going to have some trouble adapting to that role, and I think may not even realize he's in it just yet, I hope Loki can stick with it for more than an arc or two, I wouldn't want to see it cut short for movie synergy. Them just going "oh, Jane is Thor in the movies, and Loki's 's a bad guy again in the Disney+ show, guess we have to abandon the stories we were telling because of that" would suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Agreed on all points as far as the secret identity goes.

The Red Hood thing makes a ton of sense. Even if he's not behind this particular crime, I think he'll show up sooner than later. Another possibility is the female character Spencer introduced in Amazing not too long ago. I'm not remembering details but I think she is the new leader of the Thieve's Guild? Or has a connection at least?
    Oh yeah, the lady who stole like.... Everything. It is a possibility, could fit her MO, though I do think Hood's connections to Asgard make him more likely.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-07-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Basically, I very much doubt they'd give her (and the other characters) this new role just to revert it because of the movie. Which is based on a run that JUST happened. I mean isn't that the perfect example of what Hickman was saying about why the comics shouldn't ape the movies? What are they going to do, just repeat themselves because the movie chose to use a recent storyline to adapt? Wouldn't it make more sense to advertise the trades the movie is based on, and point to Jane's book and say that is where she is now? Besides, though it hasn't been explicitly stated yet, unless you count the couple times he has been called the 'defender of the realms' in interviews, I think there is already a new "Thor" now that Thor is All-Father, and while he is likely going to have some trouble adapting to that role, and I think may not even realize he's in it just yet, I hope Loki can stick with it for more than an arc or two, I wouldn't want to see it cut short for movie synergy. Them just going "oh, Jane is Thor in the movies, and Loki's 's a bad guy again in the Disney+ show, guess we have to abandon the stories we were telling because of that" would suck.
    I at least wouldn't be worried about that because I expect Disney+ Loki to be more in-line with late MCU Loki or, to take a page from the comics, Ewing's Loki.

Hiddleston said so yesterday. I don't doubt he will be more sympathetic than a full on mustache twirler, but they did erase most of his character development, and he is reset to the end of Avengers, so...

Hiddleston said so yesterday. I don't doubt he will be more sympathetic than a full on mustache twirler, but they did erase most of his character development, and he is reset to the end of Avengers, so...
    I saw one article for it but it didn't seem that official to me. But I guess we'll see...

I am not super bothered by it, though, because I consider them pretty much different characters. Just as long as the comics don't try to match, I prefer if they are kept separate aside from the cosmetic changes. They may have ended up in sort of similar places, but took very different paths to get there, and I think the movies, Ragnarok in particular, pulled from the comics more than the other way around.

But anyway, this is the Jane thread. Anyway. It seems like every time they do try for synergy lately, the movies end up changing things again so the synergy change no longer makes sense, or the comics got it wrong somehow. most notably the stuff with Captain Marvel, where it seemed they tried to guess where the movies were headed, and guessed wrong. And then they had her grow her hair out again to match the movies just to have the movies give her a haircut. So I hope they stop trying, because it's backfired a few times now. But as mentioned, it depends on the editor, and I think Wil Moss doesn't really push for anything more than vague cosmetic movie synergy, and often not even that, judging by all the books he has edited. I just can't see him cutting everything short to make Jane Thor again, especially since such a move would affect more than just her. Their primary goal isn't to make sure her book specifically is selling, I think the main Thor book will always have top priority there, regardless of what is happening in the movies. And I just can't see them having her take over the book again, even if her book doesn't sell well.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-07-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Astonishing Member

I am not super bothered by it, though, because I consider them pretty much different characters. Just as long as the comics don't try to match, I prefer if they are kept separate aside from the cosmetic changes. They may have ended up in sort of similar places, but took very different paths to get there, and I think the movies, Ragnarok in particular, pulled from the comics more than the other way around.

But anyway, this is the Jane thread. Anyway. It seems like every time they do try for synergy lately, the movies end up changing things again so the synergy change no longer makes sense, or the comics got it wrong somehow. most notably the stuff with Captain Marvel, where it seemed they tried to guess where the movies were headed, and guessed wrong. And then they had her grow her hair out again to match the movies just to have the movies give her a haircut. So I hope they stop trying, because it's backfired a few times now. But as mentioned, it depends on the editor, and I think Wil Moss doesn't really push for anything more than vague cosmetic movie synergy, and often not even that, judging by all the books he has edited. I just can't see him cutting everything short to make Jane Thor again, especially since such a move would affect more than just her. Their primary goal isn't to make sure her book specifically is selling, I think the main Thor book will always have top priority there, regardless of what is happening in the movies. And I just can't see them having her take over the book again, even if her book doesn't sell well.

To Clarify, I'm not expecting them to just retread what they've done before, but I definitely can see them having her become the mighty thor if she takes off, especially if the book doesn't sell well. It wouldn't be a direct synergy from the movie by any means, but they would use the propelled stardom generated by the movie to have her become the mighty thor. A perfect example of this is the new spider verse book coming out focusing on Miles Morales. Now the supporting characters used aren't the same supporting characters from the movie, but that huge spark from the into the spider verse help generate the upcoming series.
    Secondly, Marvel having Jane become Mighty Thor does not have to mean the other players roles would need to change. I've already described exactly how they would do it where it wouldn't be evasive. Just have her mjornir evolve again. Simple, you're done. Everyone else keeps their roles and Jane continues her role as Mighty Thor.

Ultimately, The Mighty Thor has the ability to supersede Captain Marvel as arguably one of the top heroines in the MU. Her book was a top seller back during ANAD and her announcement during SDCC was easily the top 3 biggest news release from Marvel's Panel. I just see too much hype, interest, and excitement behind the character to not have her eventually switch to her previous role.

Yeah, Jane's current weapon is called the All-Weapon. It can retake a Mjolnir shape if Jane wants it to. It wouldn't surprise me if we end up with Jane becoming a SECOND Thor (but not replacing Odinson this time) for movie synergy. That'll be a while off anyway - a couple of years isn't it? Will Ewing's Valkyrie run even last that long? Immortal Hulk is his most successful book, nothing's lasted over two years so far, but that will.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

With that said, Sam Wilson and Jane are in entirely different scenario's. Sam Wilson as Cap was a barely average selling series. He sold better than under this falcon mantle, but it often dipped below 20k in regards to physical copies. Sadly we never saw it's digital sales but ultimately Sam Wilson and Cap, while a great story, definitely didn't receive the same acclaim as Jane did. (I'd wager a large portion of that was how they started off of the series, but that's for a different thread.) In the media, we haven't even receive a guarantee on seeing Sam Wilson as Cap in an actual movie. So far, the only guarantee we have is a tv show. Jane as Thor is already guaranteed to be in a movie (and most likely will span her own movies after she takes off in popularity.)

So they're in completely different camps. I'd like Sam Wilson to be Captain America again, ESPECIALLY with everything that's going on now. But I don't likely see that situation happen. However, I'm almost certain we'll see Jane as Thor again, just because of the popularity and hype the character has.
    I think they've guaranteed Sam as Cap as much as they can without announcing a new Cap solo movie. We're not quite sure what the situation with Jane, Hemsworth, etc. will be with the movie but it's probably likely she'll appear in Avengers or team-up movies.
    To Clarify, I'm not expecting them to just retread what they've done before, but I definitely can see them having her become the mighty thor if she takes off, especially if the book doesn't sell well. It wouldn't be a direct synergy from the movie by any means, but they would use the propelled stardom generated by the movie to have her become the mighty thor. A perfect example of this is the new spider verse book coming out focusing on Miles Morales. Now the supporting characters used aren't the same supporting characters from the movie, but that huge spark from the into the spider verse help generate the upcoming series.
    Assuming the Valkyrie comic is still running again I could see them doing an arc where she transforms back into her Thor form again.

Or maybe a mini about the "lost" adventure of JaneThor.
    Secondly, Marvel having Jane become Mighty Thor does not have to mean the other players roles would need to change. I've already described exactly how they would do it where it wouldn't be evasive. Just have her mjornir evolve again. Simple, you're done. Everyone else keeps their roles and Jane continues her role as Mighty Thor.
    Thor has Mjolnir again. Although I think there maybe 2-3 extra hammers lying around that she could use if she wanted to.

She already has one. The All-Weapon was originally Earth-1610's Mjolnir, remember.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I just feel they've told that story, and having her revert back to Thor now for movie synergy would feel super cheap to me. I also think it wouldn't actually be good for her on a character level. Like, she has responsibilities with taking up the mantle of Valkyrie, that's the point. She took it up because she felt it was important, and recognized it needed doing. (and it was the same deal with her time as Thor in the first place. she recognized that there was a role that needed to be filled) If she abandons that to take up the Thor role again for.... reasons... when it's not actually necessary that she do so because the role is already being filled, what does that say about her? What does it mean for the Valkyries as a whole, and the honored dead? They'd have to address that.

I also don't think Marvel would stand to gain all that much from doing so. We've seen time and again, with a couple exceptions (Guardians of the Galaxy, mainly, that's about it) that this sort of move doesn't actually translate into much in the way of comic sales. Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars at the box office, her solo is still selling just around 27k, about the same as before the movie. (comichron appears to be down, or I'd be more precise) It may have gained a few readers from the movie, and her book is selling enough for now to keep it going for now... but not by a whole lot, unless it has a ton of hidden sales in digital etc. The number of readers for monthly sales it gained would likely be a few thousand or less, not nearly enough to save a book that was failing. It looks to have gained as much or more from tying into WotR, albeit temporarily, bumping it up to 30k. Trade sales, that gets a bigger boost from the movies, the movie goers will go into a book store or order off of amazon or whatever, even if they won't set foot in a comic shop. But they have plenty of trades they can sell people with Jane as Thor already.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-09-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

I just feel they've told that story, and having her revert back to Thor now for movie synergy would feel super cheap to me. I also think it wouldn't actually be good for her on a character level. Like, she has responsibilities with taking up the mantle of Valkyrie, that's the point. She took it up because she felt it was important, and recognized it needed doing. (and it was the same deal with her time as Thor in the first place. she recognized that there was a role that needed to be filled) If she abandons that to take up the Thor role again for.... reasons... when it's not actually necessary that she do so because the role is already being filled, what does that say about her? What does it mean for the Valkyries as a whole, and the honored dead? They'd have to address that.

I also don't think Marvel would stand to gain all that much from doing so. We've seen time and again, with a couple exceptions (Guardians of the Galaxy, mainly, that's about it) that this sort of move doesn't actually translate into much in the way of comic sales. Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars at the box office, her solo is still selling just around 27k, about the same as before the movie. (comichron appears to be down, or I'd be more precise) It may have gained a few readers from the movie, and her book is selling enough for now to keep it going for now... but not by a whole lot, unless it has a ton of hidden sales in digital etc. The number of readers for monthly sales it gained would likely be a few thousand or less, not nearly enough to save a book that was failing. It looks to have gained as much or more from tying into WotR, albeit temporarily, bumping it up to 30k. Trade sales, that gets a bigger boost from the movies, the movie goers will go into a book store or order off of amazon or whatever, even if they won't set foot in a comic shop. But they have plenty of trades they can sell people with Jane as Thor already.

We all have different interest so there's nothing wrong if you prefer her as Valkyrie, I do prefer her as Thor, and by having her as Thor, that allows the previous Valkyrie to return which was a much needed component of diversity in Marvel (if I recall correctly, she was LGBT) So I would not expect the role of Valkyrie to go void at all.
    With that said, I definitely disagree that Marvel wouldn't benefit sales wise from her transition. The Mighty Thor was selling better than current Thor, and was only superseded heroine wise by wolverine from overall sales. She sold better than Captain Marvel, Miles Morales and Ironheart which were both helmed by Bendis at the time,
    she was a selling juggernaut. People seem to forget that portion but she and wolverine was easily the biggest selling hits of that time. So really, the movie wouldn't need to add much to the sales, because she already was a top performer when they ended the series.

I also suspect it would sell more in line with other legacy spinoff books rather then as well as it did when she was the only Thor book on the market.

We all have different interest so there's nothing wrong if you prefer her as Valkyrie, I do prefer her as Thor, and by having her as Thor, that allows the previous Valkyrie to return which was a much needed component of diversity in Marvel (if I recall correctly, she was LGBT) So I would not expect the role of Valkyrie to go void at all.
    With that said, I definitely disagree that Marvel wouldn't benefit sales wise from her transition. The Mighty Thor was selling better than current Thor, and was only superseded heroine wise by wolverine from overall sales. She sold better than Captain Marvel, Miles Morales and Ironheart which were both helmed by Bendis at the time,
    she was a selling juggernaut. People seem to forget that portion but she and wolverine was easily the biggest selling hits of that time. So really, the movie wouldn't need to add much to the sales, because she already was a top performer when they ended the series.
    It's not that I didn't like her as Thor. It's just, and I have said this in regards to various things before, I prefer to see characters move forward rather than backwards. She's taken a step in a new direction, and I would rather see where that goes rather than rehash something we've already seen. We've had just one issue and an intro story in the Omega issue of her as Valkyrie, let's see where it goes before asking for her to be reverted to Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I also suspect it would sell more in line with other legacy spinoff books rather then as well as it did when she was the only Thor book on the market.
    Oh, probably. I am sure Marvel will try to get it to sell as well as it can, but I am not expecting it to reach the numbers it had when she was headlining the Thor title, and I doubt Marvel are expecting that either. As long as it sells well enough to keep it around, is all that matters.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-09-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

It's not that I didn't like her as Thor. It's just, and I have said this in regards to various things before, I prefer to see characters move forward rather than backwards. She's taken a step in a new direction, and I would rather see where that goes rather than rehash something we've already seen. We've had just one issue and an intro story in the Omega issue of her as Valkyrie, let's see where it goes before asking for her to be reverted to Thor.

I never said you didn't like her as Thor, I stated that you prefer her new role as Valkyrie, essentially because it's a new step forward. Again, nothing is wrong with that, but there's also nothing wrong with me preferring to see her as Thor. And while I'll definitely continue to pick up the series (as long as it doesn't go completely go down the tube for me lol) I can definitely see a lot of factors that would point to her essentially reverting to the mighty thor, which I would love. There's nothing wrong with me wishing for her to return to her mantle as thor, just like there's nothing wrong with you in wanting keep her role as Valkyrie. Like I said before, different strokes for different folks.

Eh, it would largely depend. The current legacy books are in the sales state they are because they're held by lesser known writers and artists as well. During ANAD, when they had the only solo series, they were being pushed by the best that marvel had to offer. That's the reason why a new character like Naomi from DC started off slow, but blew up in sales after a few issues and now sells better than marvel's current legacy line, because the writing and art made headways and drawn people in. Jason Aaron pretty much guarantees sales, and that's why it's important for Valkyrie to feel at least a good portion like a Jason Aaron book, because Al Ewing has only just now got a hit under his belt under his hulk series. If The Mighty Thor had the same creative team as before, then it would definitely have the same sales content. (Or someone similar like Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic) If they went their regular route of having a lesser known name/artist head up the series, then it would definitely reach more towards the current legacy spinoff sales. With that said, I can't see Aaron not wanting to do The Mighty Thor again if she did come back so I'd wager good money he would at least be writing the book, which means the sales already would be much better than the current spinoff series.