Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Seems actually pretty good, the writing doesn't seem clunky as-per typical Aaron. But I'm not sure about the heavy use of thought boxes.

That's probably Al Ewing's influence.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

The preview looks nice, the interiors are great btw, Bullseye is an odd choice for a Valkyrie villain but i am down with it.

Astonishing Member

I was thinking the same thing, the interiors are absolutely fantastic in the book, which is becoming more of a rarity nowadays. Can't wait for the 2nd issue.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Amazing issue & beautiful art.

I hope this series gives us more insight on Jane's internal life.

During her time as Thor we barely learned anything about her personal life other than she was with Sam and had cancer.

I hope this gives more insight in how she became Thor and why she is so suited of the life of an Asgardian hero.

Extraordinary Member

This All Weapon thing just seems way too gimmicky to me. Anything she needs at any time is just a little too over power for my taste.

It's not so different from Green Lantern, or the Engineer in The Authority that i can see, and that works out fine. It's actually less powerful than either of those (though she is tougher physically, i presume) because it seems like she can only make solid objects of limited size, not like a gun or nanite cloud like Angie, or more abstract or enormous constructs that GL can sometimes do.

I read the second issue, and the ending intrigues me, it's making me wonder if this will tie into King Thor somehow, since that takes place at the end of time and all, which "to the end of forever" could be interpreted as.

I found another Jane in City of Heroes today, too:

She seems to be going for more of an impression of the costume (the helmet is real tricky to pull off to be fair) but still pretty cool.

She didnt die? How was her cancer storyline resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She didnt die? How was her cancer storyline resolved?
    Once Mjolnir was destroyed, she resumed chemo and with no transformations interfering, it worked this time and her cancer went into remission

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Once Mjolnir was destroyed, she resumed chemo and with no transformations interfering, it worked this time and her cancer went into remission
    Oh thanks. I thought maybe she was resurrected. What's been done with her since? Has she interacted with Thor much?

She popped up here and thee in Thor, but nothing too much, she was busy getting her cancer under control. Mostly she was in War of the Realms, kind of holding down the fort in Asgard while Thor was trapped in Jotunheim, Odin was injured, and Freyja was in Svartalfheim, Loki was dead, and Balder was... uh, babysitting. In it, she picked up War Mjolnir, the Ultimate Universe hammer, to go assist Thor in the final battle against Malekith, but it was destroyed in the final battle, and the remnants fused with her body, becoming Underjarn, the weapon she wields here. After that, Brunnhilde granted her the mantle of Valkyrie, and that's where she's at now.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Oh thanks. I thought maybe she was resurrected.
    She actually was. She died (in battle, not from the cancer), ended up at the gates of Valhalla, but Odin and Thor managed to bring her back - though they didn't cure the cancer (see the last couple of issues of Mighty Thor). Then it happened as Raye said, she got her treatment and was cured (she appeared regularly in Odinson's new Thor book). After the Valkyrior, except for Dani Moonstar (who simply lost her Valkyrie powers instead) were killed (War of the Realms #2), Jane figured, there's a Thor now, but there must always be a Valkyrie too. That's when the ghost of Brunnhilde offered her the mantle (War of the Realms Omega).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-22-2019 at 02:06 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well I am halfway through the new issue and that in itself says something. I am not enjoying it.

The writing is so horribly on the nose. In 9 pages I have cringed at least 9 times. The overall story is fine, but this is precisely why I don’t really like Ewing. He always does this. He drags the subtext kicking and screaming onto the page. Every chance he gets he explains everything. I may be out. That’s a shame because the idea has potential the character work is good, and the art looks pretty nice. But this is not what I read comics for.

On the bright side, they may not be targeting me.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Well, I enjoyed the issue. Both the writing and the art.

I took the subtext being written so strongly on panel as part of the retro feel that the comic seams to be going for in some ways. Some of the older comics would do this. Sort of like how Jain has the old fashioned secret identity (Still not overly happy about that, but it's only been shown in one issue, so I'll see where it goes).

I haven't read all of Aaron or Ewing's work. Have either of them written an old school Silver Age comic before? I gather from reading other posts that Ewing is heavy on subtext, but perhaps Valkyrie is a way for them to write an old school comic if they haven't gotten the chance to yet. They may just want a crack at writing one.

Absolutely, this is and old fashioned book. There is nothing wrong with that. It's just not my thing. The reason I am a fan of the Jane Foster Thor was not because it was old fashioned, but because it harked back to the feeling of the old books. Not quite the same thing.

This book may appeal to a less comic book invested audience. Which is definitely an area Marvel should and do focus many books towards. Jane seems like a good fit for that potential audience, but obviously the real test of any book is whether it does find its audience. I hope it does. I am not part of that audience.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.