Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
Over 20 years? Are you counting Grant Morrison among the writers who hated, disparaged or abused Emma? Because he is the only reason she is as popular and central to the franchise as she is today. Don't kid yourself: Gen X was never going to get her there. Never.

I hated plenty of the same stories and eras you did. The difference is I don't judge all writers by past resentments. Jonathan Hickman is a very different writer from the cavalcade of either hacks and well-meaning but systemically ineffectual writers we've gotten since NXM and Astonishing ended. And he appears to have carte blanche. I know his work well and choose to trust in it. I came back to the books for him and only him, because in my experience he reflects a commitment to quality, and because of that (and the Fox merger) I believe the years of the franchise between marginalized as a redheaded child are over. You don't trust in that, that's fine. But you don't get to tell me who I'm allowed to trust in as an X-Men fan. And as for who will accept what and be snowed by Marvel? Only one of us was willing to sit through the whole of the last 15 largely terrible years, and it wasn't me.
For some reason his entire post gave me great feels.
Whether she's on the boat or in office on land...Emma is a member of the X-Men and the Marauders team (as shown in the Dawn of X announcement at SDCC).
Duggan, I'm sure is quite capable of writing a multitude of characters in a multitude of settings...all in the same book telling the same story.
I will never understand the pervasive negativity some have with regards to how their one and only favourite characters will be written by future writers.