Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    no I havent. i have not read the xtreme books yet still trying to finish all of uncanny.
    How far are you in Uncanny?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

While the colonialism will probably be super cringy, many pirates historically were people of colour, formerly enslaved people, and women who rebelled against government powers.

Yeah, real pirates.

Kitty's boat is owned by Hellfire Trading Company, which is a stand-in for the British East India Company, you know, the anti-pirate colonizers/slavers.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Yeah, real pirates.

Kitty's boat is owned by Hellfire Trading Company, which is a stand-in for the British East India Company, you know, the anti-pirate colonizers/slavers.
    Nothing a little mutiny can't fix. For what it's worth, I expect this team to crumble within 10 issues.

If Storm steals Emma's boat and mutiny's Kitty's command, I'm back onboard.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Nothing a little mutiny can't fix. For what it's worth, I expect this team to crumble within 10 issues.
    Thus proving yet again that Kitty is a great leader who has learned from the failures of all those before her that she's been working under all this time to avoid such mista--nvm we're gonna show kitty as an inept leader again because they can't let any of their characters grow in any meaningful way, as that would piss off long time readers.

I don't want to agree with you, but I don't see how Emma would ever choose to hang out on a team with Kitty. Even if they aren't outright hostile to one another anymore, they still aren't even friends. They have gained some respect for each other, but they're totally different people who don't mesh.

"Even in this glorious new dawn, Mutantkind faces hardships and oppression from their human counterparts. Led by Captain Kate Pryde and funded by Emma Frost and the Hellfire Trading Company, Marauders Storm, Pyro, Bishop and Iceman sail the seas of the world to protect those hated and feared!"

I think some of you are reading too much into the pirate theme.

Niffleheim

If they are funded by a faux British Trading Company then they deserve to be hated and feared for being raiders
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-23-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Yeah, real pirates.

Not from the looks of the solicit I read...

Even in this glorious new dawn, Mutantkind faces hardships and oppression from their human counterparts. Led by Captain Kate Pryde and funded by Emma Frost and the Hellfire Trading Company, Marauders Storm, Pyro, Bishop and Iceman sail the seas of the world to protect those hated and feared!
    A group still facing hardship and oppression is not a stand-in for the British East India Company. At least not in any way past a naming convention.

Why name it the Hellfire Trading Company if not to invoke or allude to the British East India Company aka "Governor and Company of Merchants of London trading with the East Indies"? They could have just went with the already established "Mutantes Sans Frontières", or even "X-Corporation", and put them in a jet or airship, but instead they chose a boat and the name they chose that looks and sounds like the real world historical colonization/slaver boating entity.

Why name it the Hellfire Trading Company if not to invoke or allude to the British East India Company aka "Governor and Company of Merchants of London trading with the East Indies"? They could have just went with the already established "Mutantes Sans Frontières", or even "X-Corporation", and put them in a jet or airship, but instead they chose a boat and the name they chose that looks and sounds like the real world historical colonization/slaver boating entity.
    Which the pointed out is in a position that would be the exact opposite of "Colonization"/"Slaver" in the solicit.

Matter of fact, they probably could not have done so any more clearly.

Instead of Marauders they should have called it something less aggressive sounding like "Empathisers".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Welp any positive vibes in this thread are going out the window as per usual.
    It's bound to happen whenever Storm isn't portrayed as the all-goddess. You get used to it at some point or another.

One other thing...

Has it occurred to you that they might not be making the reference that you assume that they are making?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One other thing...

Has it occurred to you that they might not be making the reference that you assume that they are making?
    It is that though, isn't it. The Hellfire Club's been around for centuries, and had its finger in every 1%er pie.