Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Gambit and Rouge would’ve worked better on this book and Kitty could be in Excalibur. Let Emma lead for the drama and I would been happy. Bishop plus Gambit would’ve sold me, I will pull but Kitty gon get on my nerves as the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    It is that though, isn't it. The Hellfire Club's been around for centuries, and had its finger in every 1%er pie.
    Exactly. The masses have no sense of history anymore. Hickman wouldn't just accidentally name the new company with boats something so close to the real historical global trading entity with boats.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    It is that though, isn't it. The Hellfire Club's been around for centuries, and had its finger in every 1%er pie.
    While it crossed my mind at first, Dutch East India Company/Thirty Years War/Dutch Independence feels like it is every bit as likely. Just one of those is probably a bit more well know among regular Janes/Joes.

Just because it might be the most obvious reference doesn't meant it is the most obvious reference.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Exactly. The masses have no sense of history anymore. Hickman wouldn't just accidentally name the new company with boats something so close to the real historical global trading entity with boats.
    If there was only one such entity in all of recorded history, you might be onto something.

Obviously, it was not the only such entity.

Meanwhile, the Dutch East India Company was a part of the exact sort of activity mentioned in the solicit for the first issue.

The Dutch East India Company is just as guilty of colonialism and slavery. All the big European shipping companies of that era were pretty similar in that regard. Creating a mutant trading/shipping company in this vein immediately opens it up to comparison, especially considering how antiquated the naming convention and transportation system being employed are. Mutants can teleport. They have hypersonic jets. It is a very specific choice to make them use a boat and call the business this particular name.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The Dutch East India Company is just as guilty of colonialism and slavery. All the big European shipping companies of that era were pretty similar in that regard. Creating a mutant trading/shipping company in this vein immediately opens it up to comparison, especially considering how antiquated the naming convention and transportation system being employed are. Mutants can teleport. They have hypersonic jets. It is a very specific choice to make them use a boat and call the business this particular name.
    If you want to largely ignore what actually happened to come to that conclusion? Sure.

Meanwhile, the very founding has a pretty specific history that lines up with what is in the solicit text that is there.

As for comparison, you are making a choice to avoid the most obvious comparison so that you can make the less likely comparison that you would like to make.

So you really want to argue that the European shipping companies from 16th century onward weren't warring and colonizing and enslaving vast swaths of the world?

"Jan Pieterzoon Coen was a 17th century governor-general of the Dutch East Indies.

He was preceded in that position by Pieter de Carpentier. Coen has been famously quoted as saying there can be no trade without war, and no war without trade. He led the Dutch East India Company in violently seizing the city of Jakarta in 1619, burning down much of the city and driving out many of the residents, in order to establish the city (now renamed Batavia) as the chief base of Dutch operations in the region. A year or two later, with the help of some 80-100 Japanese mercenaries, Coen oversaw the massacre of some 15,000 people in the Banda Islands, in the process of claiming those islands, and their valuable nutmeg trees, for the Company. "
    Last edited by yogaflame; 07-23-2019 at 05:15 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyLookingSort View Post
    "Even in this glorious new dawn, Mutantkind faces hardships and oppression from their human counterparts. Led by Captain Kate Pryde and funded by Emma Frost and the Hellfire Trading Company, Marauders Storm, Pyro, Bishop and Iceman sail the seas of the world to protect those hated and feared!"

I think some of you are reading too much into the pirate theme.

I'm just going to be real for a second. Some of my fellow Storm fans do Storm a disservice. IF i was a writer personally with some of the stuff said before a page is even read, i proably wouldn't even want to touch the character despite how much i love the character. I'm sure it's just an onine vocal few but to tear things down to such a level and hope for same old same old before even seeing a darn page is ridiculous.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    So was what Jean did to the D'Bari, Bishop did to Hope and Cable, Scott did to Charles, Beast did to everyone, and Gambit did to the Morlocks. Yet here we are.

#DealWithit
    Preach. Like dang, should Storm be bitter and hate her forever despite the fact that Emma has done a lot of good since then. Some storm fans might like it but the overall consensus would be "damn this bitch is like a dog with a bone."
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    but what does that have to do with ororo working with Emma? a wrong deed of another character shouldnt justify other wrongs committed. has Emma done good things, yes generally for selfish reasons, but that in no way means ororo should forgive her for the many years of deception which doesnt include the ultimate sin of stealing Ororo's body. I for the life of me do not get why Ororo has to play any role in this redemption story of Emma but any writer that thinks it's ok for ororo to work with a liar and deceiver such as Emma doesnt have my personal confidence.

#hadariyao
    #nomorepuppets
    #emmacantbetrusted
    she worked with her during Ivs X and if i remember correctly Storm fans were like "get it" when she singed beast and let himknow that she was in on the plan with Emma/Magneto. Can't have it both ways. We can't be all Emma/Storm when it works in Storm's favor or she gets to do something because of it then immediately go back to "why she working with that liar." And it creates conflict. Should Storm only work with people she likes? That sounds like Trump and that doesn't make a good leader or team member.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

The funny thing about all this premature bruhaha is that it's proably something as simple as Kitty/Emma have a talk, Kitty decides to take Emma up on her offer and talks to Storm and Storm not trusting Emma completely decides to tag along to keep an eye on Kitty and make sure things go the way they are suppose to.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I'm just going to be real for a second. Some of my fellow Storm fans do Storm a disservice. IF i was a writer personally with some of the stuff said before a page is even read, i proably wouldn't even want to touch the character despite how much i love the character. I'm sure it's just an onine vocal few but to tear things down to such a level and hope for same old same old before even seeing a darn page is ridiculous.
    I agree with you completely.

All-New Member

With this taking place on a ship it seems, does anyone else think it could be a fun element to have Namor involved somehow down the line?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by burc8476 View Post
    With this taking place on a ship it seems, does anyone else think it could be a fun element to have Namor involved somehow down the line?
    I think it's more likely an air ship? Or a space ship? But sure. with emma there, Namor might show up.