Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Why Warners should NOT release the "Snyder cut"...

So apparently there are signs all around SDCC that are demanding the release of the "Snyder cut" of the JL movie. Let's break this down and look at this rationally. Let's say they do release the Snyder cut. What happens when it comes time for a JL sequel? Are they going to base it on the Snyder version, or the Whedon version? Are you going to tell the millions of people who already watched the first JL that in order to watch the second JL they have to watch another first one? What we tend to forget is that these movies aren't just made for us. They are made for a casual audience as well. The DCEU is having a hard enough time getting off the ground as is and it's already been around for over five years. Undoing movies that people have already seen and then telling them that to enjoy future movies they have to watch a new one first again doesn't help this situation. How do you sell that to the general public? "Well, a bunch of hardcore fans wanted this version instead so now everyone has to watch it and forget the first one". Good luck with that.

Now, I will be the first to admit I have personal biases here. I hated MOS and don't care much for the DCEU but this is what we've got and we have to work with it. I think Warners is doing the best they can now with movies like WW, Aquaman, and Shazam! And it seems to be paying off. People who might not otherwise be interested in a DC movie are watching them. They made Aquaman cool! Aquaman! Let's not disrupt that momentum by telling these potential fans that they now have to watch a new first JL to enjoy the sequel. DC is already behind Marvel in the movie department. I don't want to see them get any further behind.
    Assassinate Putin!

Lol they’re not going to release it. Snyder’s “cut” still requires millions of dollars for the CGI work and there’s no way WB is going to blow the money on that. Furthermore WB has already decided to break with the Snyderverse by soft rebooting Batman and potentially Superman down the road. They have no interest in pandering to the Snyder Cult.

I don't think anyone banging the drum for Snyder's cut expects WB to do anything to follow up on it, they know that would be impossible. They are just unhappy with what we got and they want to see the original version that was shot because they enjoyed MoS & BvS and want to see his version of JL.

I'd be 100% down for its release (I guess I'm a cultist or something?), just because "hey, more of the characters I love." I mean, why not? But no, it won't be released. At least not as a product that is marketed like, say, the many cuts of Blade Runner or something. I could see it as a "special feature" in an anniversary boxset or something. Just the rough cut in a list of bonus features or something like that. Personally, I'd like to just see all of the deleted stuff released as deleted/alternate scenes and then I could edit it together myself for viewing.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I'm kind of surprise anyone cares really. As if it was going to be anything better...

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I hope they do so they can shut up already. I don't wan't to sound rude but literally every tweet under anything WB or DC is nothing but comments of release the cut. It's easy to ignore but general discussion always gets turned into this damn movie.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 07-21-2019 at 12:44 AM.

BANNED

They should just finish the Snyder version and put it out there as an alternative cut. The theatrical release would still be main continuity but many people would be interested in seeing this

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    They should just finish the Snyder version and put it out there as an alternative cut. The theatrical release would still be main continuity but many people would be interested in seeing this
    "Many people" isn't necessarily a number significant enough for such an undertaking.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lol they’re not going to release it. Snyder’s “cut” still requires millions of dollars for the CGI work and there’s no way WB is going to blow the money on that. Furthermore WB has already decided to break with the Snyderverse by soft rebooting Batman and potentially Superman down the road. They have no interest in pandering to the Snyder Cult.
    Or you toss it out as is.

Folks know what they are getting an incomplete film.

Honestly, I have no reason to even watch the snyder cut; I lost interest in the original movie when I read up on Henry cavill’s personal life.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Honestly, I have no reason to even watch the snyder cut; I lost interest in the original movie when I read up on Henry cavill’s personal life.
    What's the story on his personal life? Seems like an okay guy from his social media presence...

BANNED

I want them to release something just to shut the Snyder Cut people up.

The poor interns running the Warner Bros twitter accounts have to deal with them every day.

Incredible Member

Unless WB sees they're going to make a profit out of it a Synder cut will likely never be released (finished or unfinished).

As for fans whining about it, let them. It's their right, same as fans whining about how the Nightwing book is being mistreated or the direction of the JL book. Just ignore them and move on.

Incredible Member

The "Snyder Cult" are basically the fanboys who liked BvS, and felt that they got a raw deal when Snyder left Justice League in mid-production. I want them to release this "Snyder Cut" mostly out of curiosity, but also it will conclude Snyder's involvement in the DCEU. In fact, set it up MoS, BvS and JL as a special box-set, complete with a director's cut, a documentary, a commentary track and an art booklet, at 4K resolution. WB could make some money off of fan boys fans of Snyder.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Yeah, the irony of the "Release the Snyder Cut" meme is that the "cut" of the film people are so desperate for doesn't actually exist, at least not in an actual finished capacity.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.