Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    American superhero comics have always done politics. In most cases, there are clearly defined good sides and bad sides. A story about the government of Rann and Adam disenchantment with it could be interesting. I also seem to remember some shade being thrown on Sardath's characters in previous stories, so it may not be an original concept. I trust King on this. I read Omega Men, Mister Miracle, and Vision and found them three different stories with similar themes running through. I loved those stories enough to have ordered and waiting on Sheriff of Babylon. Heroes in Crisis sucked. It was a lackluster dive into emotions and personal tragedy. The superheroics and mystery used were amateurish. But every great writer I've encountered in comics has had something that's been sub-par.

A story about Adam facing up to whether he fits in on Rann is basic. The Adam/Alanna relationship doesn't worry me as I loved Scott/Barda.

There's a difference in doing politics in a generic sense of good vs. evil and freedom vs. totalitarianism. That's fine because it's universal and has wide appeal.

But if there are going to be Trump and Republican stand-ins that are obvious and one-dimensional whose sole purpose is to act as strawmen in order to prop up the author's personal politics, then that's something that I could live without.

Political diatribes of this type in comics are always poorly done -- especially in superhero comics. Can't think of a single time it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    There's a difference in doing politics in a generic sense of good vs. evil and freedom vs. totalitarianism. That's fine because it's universal and has wide appeal.

But if there are going to be Trump and Republican stand-ins that are obvious and one-dimensional whose sole purpose is to act as strawmen in order to prop up the author's personal politics, then that's something that I could live without.

Political diatribes of this type in comics are always poorly done -- especially in superhero comics. Can't think of a single time it wasn't.
    I thought King handled Omega Men pretty well.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Once again, I've had to go through a thread and delete posts (and temp banned a couple of folks) because of personal remarks directed at a creator.
    It's a fairly simple guideline; discuss the work, not the person.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Do you have a link where King talks in detail about Strange Adventures?

Also, saying his story is more about the rise of fascism might mean he plans to do some thinly-veiled anti-Trump screed.

If true, I would rather comics writers keep their personal politics out of their comics writing because no one does it with any nuance. It always comes across as forced, amateurish, and clumsy to me.
    Sure, have a source that links the liveblog primary source in turn.

When people talk about Tom King and say something like "I've loved everything except...", one rarely sees anything except Heroes in Crisis.
    I'm well aware my like of HiC is a rare opinoin. I didn't even dislike Omega Men, I just found it a bit confusing in singles spread out over months. I'm sure I'll like it better collected whenever I get around to picking it up. I will say it had one of the most haunting endings of a comic I've read in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I'm willing to give this a chance since Adam Strange is the kind of obscure character that should be a nice fit for King's "themes over characterization" approach and there shouldn't be too much that King could get wrong about him. Who knows? This might even help to revitalize Adam Strange.

Although the fact that King only uses somber tones for his stories is bound to become repetitive just like his dialogue.
    Does Adam Strange still disappear from Rann when the Zeta beam that brought him there wears off?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post

I'm well aware my like of HiC is a rare opinoin. I didn't even dislike Omega Men, I just found it a bit confusing in singles spread out over months. I'm sure I'll like it better collected whenever I get around to picking it up. I will say it had one of the most haunting endings of a comic I've read in recent years.
    I've only read Omega Men in trade but I thought it was reasonably easy to follow, as I recall. There is a lot going on in that book, though, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't great in single issues.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

This is probably because I'm dumb, as with so many of my problems, but I'm unclear on whether this is an ongoing or a limited series.

bueller_380.jpg

I'm pretty sure that what he said was that a lot of people said that Trump's election would result in a lot of great art, if nothing else good came from it, and that he'd yet to see that art and was trying to make it. So yes, it's in response to the times we live in, but he never at all said the series was meant to be about Trump. The Bleeding Cool headline was way off from his actual quotes, at least as I read them in the Newsarama live blog. Jude Terror has gone back to edit his comments to tell people not to take the headline so literally.

None of that's a knock on Jody Garland's post at all. We're both King fans and it's always good to see someone posting something positive about King's writing here since it's so rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    This is probably because I'm dumb, as with so many of my problems, but I'm unclear on whether this is an ongoing or a limited series.
    Pretty sure it's meant to be 12 issues.

Fanart
    EAg46UWX4AIet8Q.jpg

#thefutureisstrange

I didn't mean to be insulting or condescending. It just seemed to be a highly unusual opinion, that's all.

I didn't mean to be insulting or condescending. It just seemed to be a highly unusual opinion, that's all.
    Nah, you're fine. I felt the need to elaborate, though, in case someone thought I hated Omega men or something.