Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Despite the misfire of Heroes in Crisis and the overlong wallowing in misery that plagued his Batman run, Tom King with Mitch Gerads is such a potent combination that this is an easy buy for me. If it is half as interesting as Mister Miracle, then this will be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is probably going to be the most depressing Adam Strange comic ever.

Expect Strange and Alanna to have the same kind of spousal banter as Bruce and Selina and Scott and Barda.
    Here's hoping Alanna actually looks like an alien again.

I'm super hyped for more Adam Strange, I'm also very worried about another depressing take on DC characters from Tom King.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yes, Heroes in Crisis sucked and yes, his Batman isn't exactly consistent (but, man, when it's good...) but I've loved most of what King has done and his partnership with Gerads is an especially potent combination. Plus, hey, a new Adam Strange comic from such a great team - hard to complain on that front either.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Awsome! Wonderful news.
    The covers look great !!
    This character has so much potencial, a mix of Luke Skywalker and Indiana Jones, i hope they do him justice

#thefutureisstrange

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    This looks amazing. I can't wait.

When King said he was teasing his next project with Gerads in an issue of HiC my top guess was Adam Strange. It looks even better than I'd thought it would. Those two covers together are wonderful. I never buy two copies of a new comic (apart from Action/Detective 1000) but I'm definitely getting both of these.
    Yep.

Just let me know when and where I show up with the cash.

I've loathed most of King's work and I thought this would be a book regarding PTSD, but apparently, this time it won't be about depression and all that. About damn time.
    Last edited by Eto; 07-22-2019 at 06:29 AM.

We already had an Adam Strange who was deconstructed and I don‘t feel why King‘s is necessary for a second round, apart from this, even in the original run, which is really strange, no pun intended, Adam Strange was critically regarded by the inhabitants of his adapted planet a few times.
    Though I don‘t know what King has in mind, the cover seems to give it away. A haunted Strange, loathed and hated. Now, where have I heard this one before?

I'm looking foreward to this. i've loved everything King's done so far save Omega Men which I thought was a tad confusing. King saying this one is less about PTSD/Depression and more about the rise of fascism is a welcome change of pace as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I'm looking foreward to this. i've loved everything King's done so far save Omega Men which I thought was a tad confusing. King saying this one is less about PTSD/Depression and more about the rise of fascism is a welcome change of pace as well.
    When people talk about Tom King and say something like "I've loved everything except...", one rarely sees anything except Heroes in Crisis.

Empty is thy hand!

I've loved so many of the artists that propelled hacks like Bendis, Snyder and King to stardom. Doc Shaner is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    I've loved so many of the artists that propelled hacks like Bendis, Snyder and King to stardom. Doc Shaner is incredible.
    The fact that King has collaborated so successfully with such a wide variety of artists in this collaborative art-form indicates that he may not have been carried.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Interestingly, King and Gerad's colaborations are often my least favorites of his works (Mister Miracle, Sheriff of Babylon, and HiC to a degree.)

I know that they're literally family now that King is Gerad's son's godfather, but I preferred it when King worked with a wider variety of artists. It felt fresher.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Do you have a link where King talks in detail about Strange Adventures?

Also, saying his story is more about the rise of fascism might mean he plans to do some thinly-veiled anti-Trump screed.

If true, I would rather comics writers keep their personal politics out of their comics writing because no one does it with any nuance. It always comes across as forced, amateurish, and clumsy to me.

It just makes me realize they're going with Sardath evil again - I hadn't realized, because I haven't read anything with him since he was retconned bad ages ago. I'm tired of every fictional civilization being bad - worse than the US, at least. It started, I think, with Thanagarian warmongers. Atlantis has gotten morally worse over the decades (surface invasions, seemingly institutionalized bigotry), Krypton went bad at Crisis, and worse with every Kryptonian civilization we've seen seen then (racial superiority, etc.). The Amazons at certain times.

Plus, I hate good guys going bad, and hate them retconned bad even more, so the Sardath thing was a hard "no" to me. Hopefully King will at least have a motivation that makes sense.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-22-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Do you have a link where King talks in detail about Strange Adventures?

Also, saying his story is more about the rise of fascism might mean he plans to do some thinly-veiled anti-Trump screed.

If true, I would rather comics writers keep their personal politics out of their comics writing because no one does it with any nuance. It always comes across as forced, amateurish, and clumsy to me.
    American superhero comics have always done politics. In most cases, there are clearly defined good sides and bad sides. A story about the government of Rann and Adam disenchantment with it could be interesting. I also seem to remember some shade being thrown on Sardath's characters in previous stories, so it may not be an original concept. I trust King on this. I read Omega Men, Mister Miracle, and Vision and found them three different stories with similar themes running through. I loved those stories enough to have ordered and waiting on Sheriff of Babylon. Heroes in Crisis sucked. It was a lackluster dive into emotions and personal tragedy. The superheroics and mystery used were amateurish. But every great writer I've encountered in comics has had something that's been sub-par.

A story about Adam facing up to whether he fits in on Rann is basic. The Adam/Alanna relationship doesn't worry me as I loved Scott/Barda.