Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default "Power Pack, attack!" Power Pack Appreciation 2019

The all purpose thread to discuss all things related to the Power Pack, from fan art to actual art to fan fiction.

In 1984, Louise Simonson and June Brigman created the Power Pack. Teen heroes weren't unheard of at the time, even at Marvel. We've had teen hero teams in the form of the X-Men, the New Mutants, and even leading solo books like Spider-Man. Power Pack was the first team to be composed entirely of pre-teen superheroes.

The kids fought evil aliens, the Marauders in an event called Mutant Massacre, fought a guy trying to sell a girl's soul to a demon, fought actual demons, and of course drug dealers.

Mighty Member

Some images from the upcoming Power Pack: Grow Up plus an interview with Simonson and Brigman: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=71589550

Last edited by U.N. Owen; 08-05-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

BANNED

Power Pack #1 Aug 1984
    "Power Play"
    Aelfyre Whitemane had been monitoring Earth when he learned that Dr. Power had invented a matter/anti-matter converter.
    The Kymellians like Whitemane had lost their homeworld when testing a very similar
    design so Whitemane sent a communication to the Kymellians asking for guidance.
    Unfortunately, the Snarks intercepted the transmission and desired this technology to use as a weapon.

The Snarks kidnapped Dr. Power and his wife but Whitemane rescued their four children:
    Alexander Power, Julie Power, Jack Power and Katherine Power.

Before dying, Whitemane explained to the four children what was going on.

He also gave the four children his Smartship Friday

and his powers. With these powers, the kids managed to cause significant damage to the Snark's ship
    but they were too surprised by all the recent events to do much more. With their parents still held by the Snarks,
    this issue ends with them coming up with their codenames and planning their next move.

Alex chooses the codename Gee, Julie chooses Lightspeed, Jack chooses Mass Master and Katie chooses the Energizer.

Script by Louise Simonson, pencils by June Brigman, inks by Bob Wiacek

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Some images from the upcoming Power Pack: Grow Up plus an interview with Simonson and Brigman: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=71589550
    This was a fun book and I'm glad to have had a chance to see Simonson and Brigman work their magic with these characters once more.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I enjoyed the One-Shot. Nice to see the original writer, and artist back for another enjoyable tale and it's great that they brought on Gurihiru for the second story. It was by far my favourite read this week.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

still surprised nothing has ever happened with cartoons and real movies. (The pilot from what, 1991, doesn't count, IMO)

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

That one-shot was delightful. I hope more people read it.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

From Origins of Marvel Comics 2010:

That's a berserk button for Katie, isn't it?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

https://www.newsarama.com/46757-powe...an-marvel.html
    Nrama: The Power Pack have plenty of fans who are always awaiting their return. Is there more time with the Power kids in your future?

Brigman: Oh, for sure, Weezie and I will get to play with the kids again soon.
    Looks like Grow Up was not a one-off!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

"Grow Up" was a fun one-shot. It's nostalgic for both the 80s and the 2000s. Still, it feels weird seeing Gurihiru draw 616 Power Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/46757-powe...an-marvel.html
    Looks like Grow Up was not a one-off!
    The only thing that can top this is if they got a movie or show coming up.

no one shots with the kids as grownups?

I guess FF counts for Julie and Alex, the others not yet.

I do hope the one shot sells well enough but I don't think Whitley will reunite the Power family til the book ends, maybe a page for 1001

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    I guess FF counts for Julie and Alex, the others not yet.

I do hope the one shot sells well enough but I don't think Whitley will reunite the Power family til the book ends, maybe a page for 1001
    I personally don't expect FF to unite the Power Pack. I do, however, expect them to show up in the History of the Marvel Universe since Franklin is a narrator of that book.