Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Question What are some good X-Men comics that have out this decade? Were there any?

I know the 80's/90's runs of x-men are always recommended (Claremont, Windsor Smith, Byrne, Miller), and those that I have read of that era I have liked, but have there been any within the last ten years or so that are liked or that you recommend?

The last ten years are when I stopped reading x-men. I had read new x-men(liked) and astonishing x-men(liked) and read some of ultimate x-men(hated), but kind of dropped off after that.

Grand Design looks cool, but really seems more like a retrospective and highlights and not a new story.

It's funny how every time I go to the book store I see claremont's stuff there but new trades are always hit or miss. I guess it's like how The Beatles are always top selling artists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    I know the 80's/90's runs of x-men are always recommended (Claremont, Windsor Smith, Byrne, Miller), and those that I have read of that era I have liked, but have there been any within the last ten years or so that are liked or that you recommend?

The last ten years are when I stopped reading x-men. I had read new x-men(liked) and astonishing x-men(liked) and read some of ultimate x-men(hated), but kind of dropped off after that.

Grand Design looks cool, but really seems more like a retrospective and highlights and not a new story.

It's funny how every time I go to the book store I see claremont's stuff there but new trades are always hit or miss. I guess it's like how The Beatles are always top selling artists.
    Mike Carey's run on the X-Men Legacy. Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming, Gillen's run on Uncanny X-men, X-Force by Rick Remender. Those are all pretty stellar.

Secret Wars: House of M (although worth noting that it treats Pietro poorly)
    All-New X-Factor (from #7 on after)

I'd also say the Magneto solo, though it has some issues with its treatment of Sugar Man and a mixed bag with Polaris in the final arc.

I've heard people say Prisoner X was good. I didn't read it.

That's all I have to say. Suggestions of other people would probably be better to follow in this case.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

There have been many good X-Men comics that have dropped this decade. Although Morning Glories is clearly the best.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

BANNED

I'm catching up too. Haven't read everything yet but X-men Red and X-men Blue have been enjoyable.

a lotta good comix:

Second Coming (event) (should probably be read before anything else in the decade since it serves as a bookend to the Decimation era of 2005-2009)
    X-23 (Marjorie Liu)
    Uncanny X-Force (Remender)
    Uncanny X-Men (Keiron Gillen)
    X-Men Legacy (Si Spurrier)
    Magneto (Cullen Bunn)
    Last edited by Tycon; 08-02-2019 at 07:04 PM.

I hate to break it to you but New X-Men and Messiah Complex are from over a decade ago

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I hate to break it to you but New X-Men and Messiah Complex are from over a decade ago
    Okay. Back from my complete mental and emotional breakdown. Gonna go edit my post.

From this decade, only Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender comes to mind, there is a dip on quality after the the Dark Angel Saga though.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

If you haven't, check out X-Men #188 - #204 by Mike Carey, the Messiah Complex crossover then X-Men Legacy #208 - #225 still by Carey. New Mutants #1 - #21 by Zeb Wells. The Age Of X crossover by Mike Carey. Generation Hope #1 - #12 by Kieron Gillen. X-Men Legacy #1 - #24 by Simon Spurrier. Cable & X-Force #1 - #17 by Hopeless. Marvel Knights: X-Men #1 - #4 by Brahm Revel. X-Men #30 - #37 by Brian Wood but pirate those, don't give money to that creep. Age of Apocalypse #1 - #13 by David Lapham. Magneto #1 - #21 by Cullen Bunn. Jean Grey #1 - #11 by Hopeless. Ultimate Comics X-Men #1 - #12 by Nick Spencer.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS: anything written by Rick Remender, Second Coming, Messiah War, Avengers vs X-Men, Mark Guggenheim, Jason Aaron, Charles Soule, Matthew Rosenberg, Tom Taylor, Kelly Thompson, Peter David.

Thanks for all the recs, I didn't think there would be so many and so quickly. is claremont still everyone's favorite x-men writer or has someone else taken the thrown?

I don't mind pre-decade stuff also, I've missed some of the comics people have mentioned. I've read the messiah complex when it came out, but I don't remember much about it. I guess I should give it another shot.

BANNED

Thanks for all the recs, I didn't think there would be so many and so quickly. is claremont still everyone's favorite x-men writer or has someone else taken the thrown?
    Some people think Morrison was the last one but they are living from nostalgia. hehehehehe
    I waited 15 years to say it. Morrison is nostalgia!

BANNED

I don't mind pre-decade stuff also, I've missed some of the comics people have mentioned. I've read the messiah complex when it came out, but I don't remember much about it. I guess I should give it another shot.
    No one will ever top Claremont (ahem) but Mike Carey and Simon Spurrier have been fan favorites. Gillen gets praised a lot but his run was cut short and seemed to be headed in a shitty direction and when he revealed what his aborted plans were... well they sucked so. Just the two. It's like you HAVE to be british to be a great Xwriter or sthg.

Claremont is too last decade LOL I think that THE favorite now is Morrison

All New Wolverine by Tom taylor is pretty good
    rogue and gambit books by Thompson

If Gillen would get to the end of his planned run, it would go out with a bang. That would save x-men from the never end extermination stories