Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    No one is denying these characters have history but theyre not exactly linked the way the 05 or ANAD crew are. Which isnt a bad thing in itself, interacting with different characters makes for interesting moments.
    I'm not arguing that they have a deep connection (although I'd argue most of the ANAD team don't have any connection to Banshee or Sunfire), just that they make sense together which they interview implied otherwise.

From twitter...

Tini Howard: Betsy and Apocalypse have new status quos that have been made clear in marketing materials so I can talk about them without revealing things that I am trying to keep secret about the book. Those characters just have story arcs I want to keep secret til you read it.

Marcus To: Trust me when I say this. I'd love to talk more about Rictor and Gambit if I could 🙏🙏🙏 I love their dynamic together in this book.

Gambictor confirmed.

Yes! To all the people who keeps assuming this will be a team book disguised as a Betsy and/or Apocalypse solo.
    I like boys, comics, Disney, and traveling. // follow me @ itsnickmen
    “Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

I like what I've seen from this (and Marauders) so far. Hope they don't get cancelled abruptly. These concepts should have at least 30 issues in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    I like what I've seen from this (and Marauders) so far. Hope they don't get cancelled abruptly. These concepts should have at least 30 issues in them.
    Outside of X-men, I have doubts that any of the books will go for that long

Tini Howard: When Hickman reached out to me, I had just started having a lot of Marvel work come out and I remember Ed and some people I talked to about it were like, “sometimes when that happens you'll start getting people who will like email you their story ideas and stuff.” So I got an email from an address that I didn't recognize. It was like titled like “X-Men Ideas” or something like that. It was a wall of text. I was like, “who is this lunatic?” I read it and I was like, “Oh, I've been reading this lunatic's work for years. Oh my God.” It was very exciting.
    I read the take and I was like, “yeah, I'm all in.” Instantly, I knew where my story would fit in and what I wanted to do. It didn't spring from my head fully formed. But Jonathan asked me to bring in a pitch and I didn't really. I brought in an essay where I was like, “I don't really know what I want to do, but here's what this makes me feel. And here's where I think this can go and here's who I want to do it.” Apocalypse was the person that was really centered on originally.

And the other really cool thing was that when I came in like that, Jonathan responded to that. He wasn't like, “nice essay, but where's the punching?” It was like, “here's my essay about this culture you've built.” And he was like, “yeah, cool. Okay.” And we built it from my favorite place to build stories, which is a philosophical question of “what do we do with them now.” Not just “what would be cool to see them do,” but “what do they need? What do they archetypally do for people and how do we manipulate that as storytellers?” Those big storytelling questions are all stuff I've really gotten to do here in this iteration of the X-Men.

Nrama: Plus, Hickman seems like a guy that loves an essay.

Howard: Yeah. He doesn't mind essays.
    Nrama: So to build on that, Tini, Betsy's taking over the Captain Britain mantle with Excalibur and it's finally happening in main continuity. What's the throughline you found for it to be a legitimate progression for the Betsy Braddock we first met in those old Captain Britain UK stories?

Howard: I think the Braddocks are an awesome family. I have really built a lot of the story around the Braddocks as a unit.

So it's not just the Betsy show, we're not ignoring who Brian is and who Brian has been and some other members of the Braddock family. In a real way, the Braddocks are like the Starks of this story. They're a family unit and we'll see them and follow them. And that's part of the story. It is not the story of shoving Brian Braddock in a drawer, getting Betsy the amulet, and putting them on stage. It is the story of a family, some of whom are mutant and some of whom are not, during a time of mutant ascension. And I think people will be really pleased. This is a story that elevates and celebrates the entire Braddock family.

The Captain Britain mythos, themes and the long history of Excalibur as a book of magic and light and love.

https://www.newsarama.com/47484-dawn...rcy-x-men.html

Loving all this new info. Thanks friends!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    From twitter...

Tini Howard: Betsy and Apocalypse have new status quos that have been made clear in marketing materials so I can talk about them without revealing things that I am trying to keep secret about the book. Those characters just have story arcs I want to keep secret til you read it.

Marcus To: Trust me when I say this. I'd love to talk more about Rictor and Gambit if I could ������ I love their dynamic together in this book.

Gambictor confirmed.
    I get she doesn't want to spoil stuff but she could always say in her interviews stuff like "you guys have no idea what we've got in store for Rictor" or "I never imagined writing Jubilee would be this much fun", anything along those lines.
    As small as that is, it can generate some kind of excitement for the fans of the other characters that are not named Betsy or Apocalypse, in the Newsarama interview once again she only talks about those two like the rest of the cast doesn't even exist.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    I get she doesn't want to spoil stuff but she could always say in her interviews stuff like "you guys have no idea what we've got in store for Rictor" or "I never imagined writing Jubilee would be this much fun", anything along those lines.
    As small as that is, it can generate some kind of excitement for the fans of the other characters that are not named Betsy or Apocalypse, in the Newsarama interview once again she only talks about those two like the rest of the cast doesn't even exist.
    On the flip side of this, "empty" hype is usually met with cynicism so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    On the flip side of this, "empty" hype is usually met with cynicism so...
    Better something than literally nothing.
    I can't accept the excuse that there's pretty much nothing she can say in her interviews about Gambit, Rogue, Jubilee or Rictor without getting into spoilers.
    The idea of doing interviews is to attract customers and ignoring two thirds of your cast is not a very smart move to make, so unless you are a fan of Betsy or Apocalypse there is very little to be excited about at this point.
    That said, I hope Tini proves me wrong and that this book won't end being a duo book advertised as team book.

Yeah can't say I will rush out and buy this as a Gambit fan. I suspect the first arc or two will be Betsy and Apocalypse show which means probably not worth it to pick up until sometime Next summer if she ever gets around to Gambit. At least she is being upfront about it so can't knock her like I can a certain Mr. and Mrs. X writer who waited until the last 2 issues of that book to do anything with Gambit. Dude can't get shine in a book with only one other co-star so can only imagine how this will go with a whole team that he has to compete with for story time.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Yeah can't say I will rush out and buy this as a Gambit fan. I suspect the first arc or two will be Betsy and Apocalypse show which means probably not worth it to pick up until sometime Next summer if she ever gets around to Gambit. At least she is being upfront about it so can't knock her like I can a certain Mr. and Mrs. X writer who waited until the last 2 issues of that book to do anything with Gambit. Dude can't get shine in a book with only one other co-star so can only imagine how this will go with a whole team that he has to compete with for story time.
    I totally agree with you and I did mention the same thing to the writer as well. She wrote and I quote "Betsy and Apocalypse have new status quos that have been made clear in marketing materials so I can talk about them without revealing things that I am trying to keep secret about the book. Those characters just have story arcs I want to keep secret til you read it."

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Rogue and Betsy are one of my favorite unfulfilled potential friendships among the X-men.
    Mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I wouldn't say Poccy is out of place. Gambit was a horseman and Poccy was interested in his unique heritage. Psylocke had a whole arc with Poccy related to Angel and the Deathseed so there is history there as well. A lot of story potential there related to those 3.
    That makes a lot of sense, which means that story potential probably won’t be fulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    After Betsy died to protect Rogue and Beast, and Rogue avenged her death, I really wanted them to build a stronger friendship, but nothing deeper came out of it. I hope that changes now.
    That’s something I’ve wanted for a long time as well, but frankly I don’t see them ever progressing beyond work friends.

Cant wait for this!