Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I'm excited for this, but I'm not sure exactly how it will work. The pieces are there:

-favorite x-man (Gambit)
    -favorite x-romance (Rogue and Gambit)
    -favorite mascot character (Jubes)
    -4/7 of my favorite team (1991 Blue)
    -favorite villain (Poccy)
    -and a Rictor is fine, too

but I get the feeling these are all great tastes that do not necessarily taste great together. I am here for it though, as well as all the other launch books. I mean, Rosenberg's not writing it, so I doubt that Apocalypse is going to murder the whole team in their sleep, but I don't trust him.

Incredible Member Infernal-Ginger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    amazing how they reboot EXCALIBUR and it has zero past members on it. Id thought they'd at least bring in one of them (like the noticeably absent Nightcrawler)
    They addressed why Kurt wasn't on any of the announced books ...he apparently has an important "mission" he is a part of so couldn't be in the announced line ups

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

A lot of people seem to be scratching their heads with the addition of Rictor to the team. If this series is based in Britain, Ric's empathic / geoconnectivity to Mother Earth makes him a great pick in terms of picking up ley lines and other earthy mystical phenomenon.
    http://allthatsinteresting.com/ley-lines

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    A lot of people seem to be scratching their heads with the addition of Rictor to the team. If this series is based in Britain, Ric's empathic / geoconnectivity to Mother Earth makes him a great pick in terms of picking up ley lines and other earthy mystical phenomenon.
    Nice, I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicScion View Post
    They addressed why Kurt wasn't on any of the announced books ...he apparently has an important "mission" he is a part of so couldn't be in the announced line ups
    I am beginning to suspect Kurt might be the leader of the new Nation maybe. So he may appear recurring in all the books from time to time because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Nice, I like that.
    Hmm, and I wonder about Rogue now, if they are going with people who can sync their power to other forces, perhaps Rogue ends up absorbing magical abilities from some source. Since they are going to explain the connection between mutants and magic in Excalibur, perhaps all of them end up having some power connection to magic or natural forces.

Ohhh interesting. I wonder if that's something that will be expanded upon with the introduction of mutant magic. That kinda makes me want to look at what potential connections to magic the other members have.

I think Psylocke's connection to magic is pretty clear; strong Captain Britain and Otherworld connections.

Jubilee...? I think the most obvious, if it counts, would be her history as a vampire. She isn't one anymore of course, but it's probably her strongest tie to magic.

Gambit grew up around Tante Mattie and her voodoo. Lousiana in literature and other fictional media is also tends to have it's own sleepy type of magic. I feel like his life as a risk-taking thief, penchant for card tricks and reliance on lady luck all very metaphorically tie him to certain magicks.

Rogue I feel was the most confusing... until I remember her wtf recton'd origin. Rogue's mother was involved in a hippie cult that wanted to get into a spiritual realm called the Far Banks. She met and said goodbye to her ghost briefly during the arc and it's basically never been referenced again. If you want to stretch it further, Rogue's powers in general can be used to very easily acquire or learn magic and she'd done so on various occasions.

Apocalypse is deeply embed with the Eternals and ancient Eygpt, who like Louisiana, has it's own history magic.

But yeah, they exist but are pretty shallow connections to magic as a whole and lots of other characters (Illyana, Forge, etc...) have more established history with earthly or extra-dimensional magic. Whatever mutant magic is, I wonder if it'll draw on any of these tenuous threads or just plain create new one's.

Why do any of these characters outside of Psylocke need to have a connection to magic? They could be here to simply help out their friend or find themselves caught up due to other circumstances. I think people may be unnecearily reaching here

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why do any of these characters outside of Psylocke need to have a connection to magic? They could be here to simply help out their friend or find themselves caught up due to other circumstances. I think people may be unnecearily reaching here
    I think if it was just Psylocke, Tini wouldn't need to introduce a concept like mutant magic. The Britains and Otherworld are magic enough, mutant magic implies this being a racial trait (ie involving more than just Psylocke).

I can't wait for this. Marcus To is such a great artist too. I am finally going to subscribe to a book after so many years.

In Gambit 14 by Asmus Remy got knighted in the Otherworld, killed a dragon and made a peace. He must be well known there and know this place.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 07-23-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Hope so. I liked Rictor only at the beginning of PAD's X-Factor when he was depowered. After that didn't read a lot about him.

Rogue is also getting a new costume, according to To.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Rogue is also getting a new costume, according to To.
    Yay. I am so happy to hear that.

Don't get me wrong, it's an iconic custome, but I don't think it very effectively conveys a new era or change of status quo like a new one would.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Yay. I am so happy to hear that.

Don't get me wrong, it's an iconic custome, but I don't think it very effectively conveys a new era or change of status quo like a new one would.
    I completely agree. Plus everyone else on this team got new costumes, it's only fair!