Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default We cleaned up a cemetery

One of my neighbors, who also happens to be my g/f's aunt, noticed that a local cemetery was starting to look pretty bad. Overgrowth on all of the headstones, weeds growing all over, broken tree limbs hanging half off trees, etc. So she went to the local government, who told her that they didn't have the money to clean the place up. This concerned my neighbor, especially as she has a few relatives buried in the cemetery. So she set up a Gofundme campaign and raised $440. She also encouraged several of us in the neighborhood, via facebook, to help out. She spent some of the money on refreshments for us today, while we went about cleaning up the cemetery ourselves. A few guys brought lawnmowers and weedwackers. Several of us moved tree branches and pulled weeds.

Finally, my neighbor, who started the project, posted before and after photos on facebook. The cemetery looks 100% better than it did before. Just an example of what a community can do when we come together for a good cause.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations on your group's accomplishment. So I presume you are saying this cemetery doesn't have an owner. Is it a historical site of local interest? Most of the ones in our area are privately owned by a funeral home. But there is one across the road from the entrance to our cul de sac that has a small number of older graves. It seems like it has it's own caretaker, I though mysteriously I have never them. One day I will have to dodge the speeding traffic and see what's there.

It is a bit of an historical site. If we could get it officially declared as such, then the government would be legally required to maintain it.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I hope you succeed. It is kind of sad to see a neglected cemetery.

Consider posting pics. I’d like to see some rad looking cemeteries after a clean up

My neighbor already has posted pictures on facebook. I'll ask her if it's ok to post them here.