15 15.15%
  • Tom King is a Good Writer

32 32.32%
  • Tom King is a Great Writer

14 14.14%
  • Tom King is one of the Best of all Time

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tom King is a damn good writer, and like most good writers he's got a stinker or two.
    For every The Shining, there's a The Tommyknockers to go alongside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    If this is really how Mr. Miracle went, then I don't get why people liked it. I would have been very upset if I bought this and that was the ending.
    Of course that's not how it ended. It ended in a way that could be interpreted in any number of ways and it was virtually universally praised.

In my opinion, Tom King is an awful writer. His attempts to write dialogue for humans are so bad.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

If this is really how Mr. Miracle went, then I don't get why people liked it. I would have been very upset if I bought this and that was the ending.
    Events early on made the use of a reset button seem like a foregone conclusion. But despite the events that would seem to twist canon for the New Gods considerably, the characters maintained a cross between the Kirby weirdness and modern storytelling. And the "it's all a dream" swipe was classic. The story wasn't about the war between Apokalips and New genesis, it was Scott and Barda trying to live a "normal" human life.

Luckily, you "Getting..." why I liked it isn't much of an impediment to me being able to enjoy the title in question.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 07-25-2019 at 01:32 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

He is great (But Heroes in Crisis is still thew worst excuse of a story DC has ever wasted paper on)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Sales don't mean much when it comes to events and Batman comics, though. HiC sales actually plummeted as far as major event comics go.
    The current Batman sales are also the lowest since Flashpoint. The last issues sold only slightly above 80K. And unless City of Bane brings the sales up again, they might even lower than that.

During Snyders run they barely ever dropped below 100K.

Ans his writing skills a side. The level of decompression in Batman is just not acceptable. It feels like almost every story gets bloated to at least twice the length it should have. And then the number of fillers, I mean a filler issue here and there OK, but Knightmares is basically a filler trade paper back.

Snyder's run didn't drop below 100k because he did multiple events and his run didn't last beyond 50 issues while King's is currently on 80. Let's be fair here because we don't know for sure if Snyder is capable of keeping 100k numbers for 80 issues.

As for op's question, I think he is a good writer. He is just not good when it comes to writing long run and his dialogs are terrible.

Going by King's Batman only, I would say that he's an awful writer. But I voted bad, because his other works are passable.
    I say passable, because while Vision and Mr. Miracle were decent stories, I don't rank them all that high. I certainly don't get all the praise they get. They're not that special.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Snyder's run didn't drop below 100k because he did multiple events and his run didn't last beyond 50 issues while King's is currently on 80. Let's be fair here because we don't know for sure if Snyder is capable of keeping 100k numbers for 80 issues.

As for op's question, I think he is a good writer. He is just not good when it comes to writing long run and his dialogs are terrible.
    It's easy for King to rack up the numbers on his Batman run. What with the double shipping since Rebirth.
    Besides, his Batman issues always feel like they have about half the content of a normal comic issue. I know I read them in about half the time I take over a regular comicbook.
    His entire run can be described as style over substance. And the style isn't particularly good at that.
    #EmmaWasRight

Makes me wonder what that dude would think if he was to read that thread lol.

I think he's a great writer, but if he's or isn't one of the best of all time will depend on how he does fare in the years to come. He has written a lot of amazing stories, but I need a longer track history to put him in that category. Thus far, only HiC has not been of my liking of what I have read from him. I loved both The Vision and Mister Miracle, and I'm currently enjoying the hell out of his Batman run. His Grayson alongside Tim Seeley was a lot of fun, though it didn't hit the same beats his Batman, The Vision and MM did with me. There're other minor works by him I've enjoyed in different levels. I haven't had the chance to read Sheriff of Babylon nor Omega Men yet.
    Last edited by Chubistian; 07-25-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    King dropped already below 100K quite early in his run, only the wedding brought up the numbers again.