Default How accessible is HOUSE OF X for the non-Xpert?

So, X-fans who've read #1 already: is it looking like something I can follow and appreciate as a Hickman fan who's not particularly X-men-conversant? I've only read Morrison's and Whedon's runs (which I love, especially the former), plus little bits of a few others. And from the school of the internet, I have a broad idea of the directions the franchise has gone in since then. Can I pick up this issue and dive in, or do I need to wait until I've done more homework?

I hugely enjoyed Hickman's Avengers maxi-epic when I binged it in trades last year, and am looking forward to another big-architecture superhero tale from him. But if I'll be lost regarding story and characters, I might prefer to wait.

Thanks, all.

hey do you know what a mutant is

do you know why being a mutant sucks

hey do you know who magneto is

okay you're good everything else will be explained in a chart at some point
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    So, X-fans who've read #1 already: is it looking like something I can follow and appreciate as a Hickman fan who's not particularly X-men-conversant? I've only read Morrison's and Whedon's runs (which I love, especially the former), plus little bits of a few others. And from the school of the internet, I have a broad idea of the directions the franchise has gone in since then. Can I pick up this issue and dive in, or do I need to wait until I've done more homework?

I hugely enjoyed Hickman's Avengers maxi-epic when I binged it in trades last year, and am looking forward to another big-architecture superhero tale from him. But if I'll be lost regarding story and characters, I might prefer to wait.

Thanks, all.
    I feel that to anyone who is vaguely familiar with the X-men will be able to pick it up and follow the book. This is setting the stage for the wave of books coming down the line. Outside of knowing the characters in the books (again vaguely) and knowing what Krakoa was you should be solid to dive in. We're all essentially at the starting point right now.

Astonishing Member

Thanks, all.
    Pretty damn accessible. It's a great jumping on point right now doesn't require a whole lot of previous knowledge just basics.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

As long as you've read Giant Size X-Men 1 you're good.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

Our resident Omega Level Intellect has spoken and he says the truth.

Mighty Member

Thanks, all.
    It's a clean jumping on point. Dive on in.

Considering you don't have to read any previous story and even someone who just watched movies would understand at least 80% of what's going on I would say it is quite accessible.

Is there a bunch of Wolverine? Wolverine is cool.

Gambit is also cool. Sometimes Colossus.

Snoop hit all the marks. If anything there are little nuggets for those of us who have been following for years, but those things likely won't matter overall or will be expanded upon over the next 12 weeks. Great time to be a new reader IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

And you just know that Jonathan Hickman loves to put charts in his comics. Your comment made me laugh, that was awesome.

Wow, this might be the most agreement from comics fans that I've seen on one topic in a long time!

Thanks, everyone. Picked it up from my LCS this evening, sat down outside and read it through. A perfect jumping-on point - a fact which they should do more to advertise. I feel like all the "THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT THE X-MEN" hype may scare off some people. It almost did me - it led to the inevitable question, "Oh, does that mean I need to know a lot going in?"

Strong start, though - albeit largely concerned with setting up the chess board, as was probably inevitable.

(And yeah, as soon as I turned to that first page, I chuckled and thought, "Yep. Hickman.")

If you know the X-Men and you know they are hated and feared, then yes, this is a great jumping on board point.