Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    Just have her be excommunicated amicably. I wish these writers would admit that they don't care for Ororo and are only keeping her around because of her status as the reigning and most conspicuous token black female. I understand the ostensible outrage generated from temporarily tabling her standing in the X-Men would be astronomical but the continued degradation is demoralizing imo. Storm is too big of a character to be relegated to the role of glorified henchwoman/proxy/underling and Cyclops nor Wolverine would ever be subjected to the undignified treatment that she has been the receptacle of despite Marvel's laughable claims of championing diversity and equality all the while their most popular black female superhero continues to stagnate/depreciate.

And this "new normal" as posited in the OP wouldn't even exist if not for woefully abysmal "writing" that Ororo was plagued with during that terrible IvX fiasco. Again, neither Cyclops or Wolverine would ever have been discredited and humiliated the way she was during that period and even if they were, they would have been redeemed in some way shape or form.

Maybe Coates should be given unexpurgated "ownership" of her character so that she can flourish under a writer that harbours a genuine appreciation for the vagaries of her character and potential therein before she perishes in the captivity/stranglehold of the dreaded X-Office.
    This. X1000. Just goes to show how far the Storm character has fallen. No one even cares if she's leading or not. The no leader thing wouldn't sting as much if her character hadn't been trashed so much over the years. But it has, and here we are. Hickman seems to think Cyke needed to be fixed after his bad treatment and part of that is rightfully having him lead a team into this new era. But Storm? Nah, lets have her take orders from Kitty Pryde. Would people feel the same about leadership being a thankless role if Cyke was taking orders from Iceman,or Captain America from Hawkeye? I highly doubt that. Making Storm leader isn't magically going to make the character better(See IVX). But I'd say any writer that is serious about fixing a character that has been as badly neglected like Storm, would certainly make leading a team one of the main priorities to include when making a rehabilitation check list.

But what's done is done. Now we just wait to see if Hickman is all hot air when it comes to her like the many who have come before.

I know that I’d make her the new Xavier, “leader” of an advisory council of mutant minds like Beast, Emma Frost, Nightcrawler and a few others.

I’d introduce a lot of bureaucracy to mutantkind, with Storm on the throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    This. X1000. Just goes to show how far the Storm character has fallen. No one even cares if she's leading or not. The no leader thing wouldn't sting as much if her character hadn't been trashed so much over the years. But it has, and here we are. Hickman seems to think Cyke needed to be fixed after his bad treatment and part of that is rightfully having him lead a team into this new era. But Storm? Nah, lets have her take orders from Kitty Pryde. Would people feel the same about leadership being a thankless role if Cyke was taking orders from Iceman,or Captain America from Hawkeye? I highly doubt that. Making Storm leader isn't magically going to make the character better(See IVX). But I'd say any writer that is serious about fixing a character that has been as badly neglected like Storm, would certainly make leading a team one of the main priorities to include when making a rehabilitation check list.

But what's done is done. Now we just wait to see if Hickman is all hot air when it comes to her like the many who have come before.
    Leading a team is very good for growth for sure. For some reason Scott is always leader

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Yep. My reaction too

This is such a defeatist attitude you all seem to be adopting. Yes, we all know Claremont's X-Men kicked ass. But why not want more ass-kicking X-Men? Why not want more Storm leading an ass-kicking X-Men? She was just doing that 15 years ago before the whole line got derailed by No More Mutants/Fox movie rights. That's like saying, oh, if I want to read good X-Men stories, I'm just a happy reading my old Claremont collection, I won't bother with the new stuff. I mean, that's basically what I do, but that is not the ideal scenario. I want new awesome X-Men stories. I want new awesome Storm stories. And no, I don't think Coates random nonsense on the side is going to suffice. Storm is a mutant. She's an X-Man. She's been established as such for her entire publication history. She can also be a goddess. I'd love to see that explored further. But a few pages in between Shuri or T'Challa's or Wakanda's stories isn't going to cut it for me.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    This is such a defeatist attitude you all seem to be adopting. Yes, we all know Claremont's X-Men kicked ass. But why not want more ass-kicking X-Men? Why not want more Storm leading an ass-kicking X-Men? She was just doing that 15 years ago before the whole line got derailed by No More Mutants/Fox movie rights. That's like saying, oh, if I want to read good X-Men stories, I'm just a happy reading my old Claremont collection, I won't bother with the new stuff. I mean, that's basically what I do, but that is not the ideal scenario. I want new awesome X-Men stories. I want new awesome Storm stories. And no, I don't think Coates random nonsense on the side is going to suffice. Storm is a mutant. She's an X-Man. She's been established as such for her entire publication history. She can also be a goddess. I'd love to see that explored further. But a few pages in between Shuri or T'Challa's or Wakanda's stories isn't going to cut it for me.
    Why does one who doesn't want or care for storm to lead mean they gave a deafeatist attitude. Leading the X-Men has only led to leading the x+men. That's it. No X-Men leader has done more than lead an x-team with the exception of young Scott on champions and professor x on the Illuminati and I guess sunspot. I want more. I don't want storm to have to be tied to a role of leadership. I want a goddess/mutant that can go on whatever team she likes and do whatever she likes across the mu without having to have that chain around her neck. Why would a goddess want to lead 5 other people when she could have a world bowing before her. I enjoyed the old stories for what they were but I don't want a rehash of the same storm again I want something new. New views, new stories, not the same old same old. And again leader is a thankless job it sounds like a lot just care about the conceived "slight" of it all rather than the potential.

Not to mention in my opinion some of the best storm stories she was the leader but she wasn't leading in the story. Life/death comes to mind. As well as the short story in curse of the mutants to be more recent.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-22-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

I mean, if Storm's fans are ready for the character to be taken through a potentially controversial and harsh path, while dealing with the vitriol from the fans of other characters (not to mention having whole arcs dedicated to how much she sucks and whatever), why the hell not give her command of a team, amirite. It's all about balance.

A lot of the anger, though, seems to come from the fact that Kitty is too much of an "underling" character, so who the hell knows. But sure, they should give it a spin again. Storm's portrayal has been consistently wack for the past decades. She's at the bottom of the pit right now and, unless someone is enough of an ******* to throw her a shovel, the only direction to go is up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I can agree to this.
    In regards to the Coates thing. I only like it because he seems to be the only person that is interested in moving the character forward as oppose to other writers.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I can agree to this.
    In regards to the Coates thing. I only like it because he seems to be the only person that is interested in moving the character forward as oppose to other writers.
    I agree with the X-men part as well. Storm should always be present in the x-line or have some place in it, but she doesn't need to lead a team when she herself is a mutant leader. I guess maybe i'm being too hopeful because there is no reason Storm shouldn't be all over the mu now including X-men. Also how many stories have there been, even from Claremont himself where Storm not being a leader or not wanting to be a leader allowed her to explore things within herself. Storm will never get to explore herself as long as she's always having to look out for others in the way she does when she leads. She's a great leader but she's an even better character.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I agree with the X-men part as well. Storm should always be present in the x-line or have some place in it, but she doesn't need to lead a team when she herself is a mutant leader. I guess maybe i'm being too hopeful because there is no reason Storm shouldn't be all over the mu now including X-men. Also how many stories have there been, even from Claremont himself where Storm not being a leader or not wanting to be a leader allowed her to explore things within herself. Storm will never get to explore herself as long as she's always having to look out for others in the way she does when she leads. She's a great leader but she's an even better character.
    Well said and a view I share. It's not a defeatists attitude, but a urge for progression and forward movement.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Interesting impressions. I consider "Kate" a New Mutant and find her specifically leading Scott, Emma, or Ororo... nevermind two at once, just weird.

Storm, powered or not, amazes me as a character who all the way back three decades led as a fiercely competent black woman. She was stoic and regal without being stuffy and she had the rapport of a big sister rather than a boss. It's not regression if she doesn't lead, but considering who she and Kitty were I just can't see being third banana in Kitty's pirate crew.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I can agree to this.
    Same. I am not a fan of BP or his mythos, but at least Coates seems to actually like the character, and that actually played out in the comics. It was something new and fresh and he actually seems committed to doing something with her besides window dressing/token filling like she is in the X-Men. I would hate for her to be shipped off to BP cause I am an X-Man fan and would like to see Storm flourish under their banner, but if they can't do that, I am not necessarily opposed to her being given to a creative team that actually gives a damn about her (Coates.) If the X-Writers were given a mandate to have Storm driving X stories for just 2 years they would probably be petrified with fear because they wouldn't know what the hell to do. She's the only one of the big 4 that I can say that about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Interesting impressions. I consider "Kate" a New Mutant and find her specifically leading Scott, Emma, or Ororo... nevermind two at once, just weird.

Storm, powered or not, amazes me as a character who all the way back three decades led as a fiercely competent black woman. She was stoic and regal without being stuffy and she had the rapport of a big sister rather than a boss. It's not regression if she doesn't lead, but considering who she and Kitty were I just can't see being third banana in Kitty's pirate crew.
    Did you also have a problem with Rogue’s X-Men teams which have included Cable, Cannonball, Magneto, Xavier and Nightcrawler?

Or Sunspot leading the Avengers despite being an actual New Mutant?

The only way Storm can get more development than leading an X-Men team book, is in a well bought, well funded/promoted solo book.

Where is that?

If Storm had a solo book like that, sure, screw the X-Men, she is better off pursuing her own destiny as a global/universally minded goddess of life, transcending the x-gene and Xavier's philosophies. But I don't see current Marvel publishing division having that as a priority. So, with that reality in mind, yes, Storm needs to be in the visionary leader/badass position of an X-Men team book. That gives her the greatest audience, and the greatest opportunity for development. BP #13 sold about 21k in June. Barely in the top 100. Shuri #9 sold barely half that, at 10.7k. Even all of the horrible Age of X-Man series sold better than that. Uncanny #19 sold 51.9k, #20 did 41k, both in the same month. In pure numbers, X-Men comics matter more than BP or Shuri comics.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Same. I am not a fan of BP or his mythos, but at least Coates seems to actually like the character, and that actually played out in the comics. It was something new and fresh and he actually seems committed to doing something with her besides window dressing/token filling like she is in the X-Men. I would hate for her to be shipped off to BP cause I am an X-Man fan and would like to see Storm flourish under their banner, but if they can't do that, I am not necessarily opposed to her being given to a creative team that actually gives a damn about her (Coates.) If the X-Writers were given a mandate to have Storm driving X stories for just 2 years they would probably be petrified with fear because they wouldn't know what the hell to do. She's the only one of the big 4 that I can say that about.
    EXACTLY my thoughts.

For me who better for Storm to watch over and become the leader of tomorrow than Kitty. Let's just hope for the best for a second. Since Storm has been back at marvel completely there is a barbie, shes in marvel ultimate alliance, she was added as a five star mutant to the marvel puzzle game with the caption reading "she once send hundreds of opposing soilders into space with a whirlwind." I mean wow, a whirlwind taking people from earth to space. She has the fearless book coming up. She is in black panther. Marvel even did a top 5 character moments for why you don't want to mess with Storm. If we look at all of this the winds could be changing in Storm's direction for the best and being a mentor to kitty while free to still do fearless, still do X-men, and still get around the MU sounds like a win/win for me. Lets be real, if Storm is leading an X-team anything she does outside of it will be scrutinized. "well wish she showed that kind of oomph to protect her team. wish she did this or that."

Then we've had people complaining about storm being a pacifist for the longest time. Well we saw the bus in modern times that Cyclops went under for being a leader who apparently wasn't pacifist enough. Hell i'm not even Storm and i feel a weight lifted off my shoulder. Storm was born capable of a lot and leading a single team of X-men is just been there done that. She's lead the X-men, she's' lead the school. She has been the queen of wakanda. It's time for Storm to throw down with the gods of the MU and i really don't need to hear people complaining about how she made her team a target because she wanted to go off and do this and do that. As much as she loves mutants and mutantkind she is at a point where she is the opposite of when Xavier found her. She's not just a mutant, she's a goddess, and as such she has responsibilities to all of the MU.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.