Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Also leaders tend to be treated as antagonistic authority figures to make others more sympathetic (look at Rosenberg). It’s a thankless job.
    Yup. In fact, I really don't think there should be a leader, just a bunch of friends/family hanging out doing things.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Remember her sitting around in her office talking to herself on Extraordinary X-Men? Maybe she just needs a break.

My opinion is that Storm needs to have her own spin on the Dream. Her position as international mutant police force liaison from her latter Claremont days MIGHT HAVE BEEN that spin.

Right now, she's just treading water. I think she needs a third or fourth act.

The X-Office has completely failed Storm as a character since Claremont's X-Treme/XSE era. I guess it just means that their writers/editors just can't hold a candle to Lord Claremont's take on the character. Claremont's Ororo is incredible. I'm not sure if it's just that the other writers can't do a good Storm, or if they just don't want to. Kitty leading Storm is offensive. Claremont's Kitty was not happy with being a superhero. She wanted to be a college student and work at a bar, and maybe transition into human politics. Not superheroics. And Claremont's Ororo had little interest in being a school teacher. She was interested in operating on the global stage, and made moves no other X-leader has(getting the UN Security Council's sanction for global jurisdiction is unparalleled). I think the X-Office is just thinking too small, and the fact that Ororo is a black woman doesn't help, I think. I can't wait until Feige and co launch an amazing Ororo onscreen, and finally publishing will get their priorities in order.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    The X-Office has completely failed Storm as a character since Claremont's X-Treme/XSE era. I guess it just means that their writers/editors just can't hold a candle to Lord Claremont's take on the character. Claremont's Ororo is incredible. I'm not sure if it's just that the other writers can't do a good Storm, or if they just don't want to. Kitty leading Storm is offensive. Claremont's Kitty was not happy with being a superhero. She wanted to be a college student and work at a bar, and maybe transition into human politics. Not superheroics. And Claremont's Ororo had little interest in being a school teacher. She was interested in operating on the global stage, and made moves no other X-leader has(getting the UN Security Council's sanction for global jurisdiction is unparalleled). I think the X-Office is just thinking too small, and the fact that Ororo is a black woman doesn't help, I think. I can't wait until Feige and co launch an amazing Ororo onscreen, and finally publishing will get their priorities in order.

Claremont recently posted on Facebook how disgusted he is with the X-Men not living at the school anymore and that they have lost their way, so either he has dementia or he wrote Storm as rejecting the correct path.

Claremont always took the X-Men away from the school, but he always brought them back too. I can respect our Lord's words.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Well...Honestly, no writer has ever been able to duplicate Claremont's X-Men. And when they tried it was a steaming pile of horse manure (looks sideways at Kittenheim)
    Duggan is not Claremont. Hickman is not Claremont. Nobody is Claremont. (Not even Claremont is Claremont). And I am very happy with that.
    This is 2019, not 1980.
    When I want to read HBIC Storm I can (and do so often) revisit my UXM and XXM books of yore and be quite satisfied.
    But I am glad I will also be able to read other competent writers takes on the character and be just as pleased and entertained now, as I was back then, despite the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    You are referencing one limited series from her 30+ year history, which isnt consistent with everything else. Claremont's Kitty loved being a superhero and couldnt keep herself away from it when he was defining the character. Mekanix came after her ordeal with the Neo and Colossus death (and I think her fathers), which caused her to reject the superheroics and try to lead a normal life. She was grieving and dealing with alot but that was not her dream and inner desire.

People may hate to admit it but Kitty is an X-man veteran that has been fighting and well experienced for a good 10 years in continuity. Becoming a leader is natural progression for her and shows growth. Unfortunately it happened under Guggs and he ruined her in the process. He could have had her lead with Storm as a mentor to help guide her in that new role as Xavier had done for Scott but thats not what we got

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Claremont recently posted on Facebook how disgusted he is with the X-Men not living at the school anymore and that they have lost their way, so either he has dementia or he wrote Storm as rejecting the correct path.
    LOL...when did the X-men stop living at the school. There have been multiple teams of X-men but outside of the Utopia era, there's always been X-men at the mansion. He must be forgetting his own writing bc he wrote an entire era and series where he took the X-Men away from the school (Outback and X-treme)
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-22-2019 at 02:26 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Well...Honestly, no writer has ever been able to duplicate Claremont's X-Men. And when they tried it was a steaming pile of horse manure (looks sideways at Kittenheim)
    Duggan is not Claremont. Hickman is not Claremont. Nobody is Claremont. (Not even Claremont is Claremont). And I am very happy with that.
    This is 2019, not 1980.
    When I want to read HBIC Storm I can (and do so often) revisit my UXM and XXM books of yore and be quite satisfied.
    But I am glad I will also be able to read other competent writers takes on the character and be just as pleased and entertained now, as I was back then, despite the changes.
    Such a measured and rational opinion, I'm honestly shook.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I just think expecting today's writers to be anything/anyone (Claremont) other than competent, skilled and entertaining in their own right is doing the Creative and the Craft a huge disservice.
    I get that fans have their Above and Beyond All-Time Favourites (as written by Claremont) I do too, but...If they're hoping and expecting writers to cater to their specific needs and desires then, (as I've learned decades ago when Fraction introduced Utopia ) they're in for a world of disappointment and they really should consider another hobby/interest at this point or writing their own fan-fiction.

Just have her be excommunicated amicably. I wish these writers would admit that they don't care for Ororo and are only keeping her around because of her status as the reigning and most conspicuous token black female. I understand the ostensible outrage generated from temporarily tabling her standing in the X-Men would be astronomical but the continued degradation is demoralizing imo. Storm is too big of a character to be relegated to the role of glorified henchwoman/proxy/underling and Cyclops nor Wolverine would ever be subjected to the undignified treatment that she has been the receptacle of despite Marvel's laughable claims of championing diversity and equality all the while their most popular black female superhero continues to stagnate/depreciate.

And this "new normal" as posited in the OP wouldn't even exist if not for woefully abysmal "writing" that Ororo was plagued with during that terrible IvX fiasco. Again, neither Cyclops or Wolverine would ever have been discredited and humiliated the way she was during that period and even if they were, they would have been redeemed in some way shape or form.

Maybe Coates should be given unexpurgated "ownership" of her character so that she can flourish under a writer that harbours a genuine appreciation for the vagaries of her character and potential therein before she perishes in the captivity/stranglehold of the dreaded X-Office.

Mighty Member

If leadership is so overrated then why do so much people want Cyclops, Jean and Emma in positions as team leaders? Why should they get the spotlight as leaders while Ororo is relegate to playing second fiddle to Kitty? Storm deserves to lead her own team, she deserves to have a strong voice in the direction of the X-men. It's an insult if she doesn't have a seat at the table.

Personally i am tired of the same old same old. While i love Claremont unless he is going to actually do something new with Storm i'm not clamoring for him. Does he write a good Storm, yes? Has he done anything to advance the character forward in modern times? No. He never explicitly stated she was a goddess. He sent her rogue storm and then brought her back. My biggest problem in the modern age with claremont Storm is he gets her close to the precipice of something but then never finishes crossing the line so for me i don't think he can provide anything new at this point or rather that he would. That's not a bad thing per-say but it's not what I want to see. I'm going to give Duggan a chance and see what Marvel does with storm now that the X-men are fully back home.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMunroe View Post
    Just have her be excommunicated amicably. I wish these writers would admit that they don't care for Ororo and are only keeping her around because of her status as the reigning and most conspicuous token black female. I understand the ostensible outrage generated from temporarily tabling her standing in the X-Men would be astronomical but the continued degradation is demoralizing imo. Storm is too big of a character to be relegated to the role of glorified henchwoman/proxy/underling and Cyclops nor Wolverine would ever be subjected to the undignified treatment that she has been the receptacle of despite Marvel's laughable claims of championing diversity and equality all the while their most popular black female superhero continues to stagnate/depreciate.

And this "new normal" as posited in the OP wouldn't even exist if not for woefully abysmal "writing" that Ororo was plagued with during that terrible IvX fiasco. Again, neither Cyclops or Wolverine would ever have been discredited and humiliated the way she was during that period and even if they were, they would have been redeemed in some way shape or form.

Maybe Coates should be given unexpurgated "ownership" of her character so that she can flourish under a writer that harbours a genuine appreciation for the vagaries of her character and potential therein before she perishes in the captivity/stranglehold of the dreaded X-Office.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    *HUGS*

10char