Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Unlike Guggenheim, Duggan is a good writer and the fact that he feels no obligation to follow these diktats actually gives me hope. Perhaps he'll reinvigorate her with a spark of personality.
    This is my hope. She's been relegated to being defined by titles and feats lately, I'm hoping she actually gets some of her personality and character back.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

BANNED

Emma is one of my favourite characters but anyone who thinks she should be leading a squad of x-men is silly. She works much better as a lone agent.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    And here, I was thinking I made it abundantly clear that, I couldn't stand Kitty.

I couldn't stand her before Gold and even Bendis so I guess that makes me one of the cool kids.
    I knew you didn’t care for Kitty, just having a little fun
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Remember when Storm was a real character who went through trials and tribulations, and prevailed? Who had actual character arcs? That was fun.

But for years, nobody has actually known what to do with her, and so, in lieu of character development we've been given a slew of empty feats, ill-thought-out leadership mandates, or just nonsensical lip service ("Your marriage is the most important thing that has happened to mutantkind Storm!"). Doesn't matter how poorly she is handled as long as we acknowledge that she is i-m-p-o-r-t-a-n-t!

Unfortunately after years of this treatment, a significant portion of her base is now completely obsessed with status.
    And so, rather than being given stories that allow her to show her character and humanity, she must be written with a level of deference (muh Goddess, muh Omega level, muh leader) that forbids actual risk-taking from the writers, and completely removes her from the reader's emotional reach.

Unlike Guggenheim, Duggan is a good writer and the fact that he feels no obligation to follow these diktats actually gives me hope. Perhaps he'll reinvigorate her with a spark of personality.

I guess it's perfect that Storm is also being written by the Black Panther creative team because that other aspect of the character fits perfectly with Coates' tedious / self-serious / self-indulgent writing. He most likely won't write anything of actual interest for her character, but he'll continue to lavish her with praises and vacuous titles no one cares about.

So everyone should be satisfied in the coming months!
    Ugh the levels of accuracy in this post. I can't. Writers have been afraid to take any risks with her character since CC, and her fans won't like anything unless she's portrayed perfectly.

I always said it would have been cool if she was one of the Phoenix 5 along with Cyclops and Emma, and that she shared in his pragmatic turn in the decimation era. Would be cool to see her go through something traumatic that really messed her up, and to see her go underground and against her friends and family. Granted the actual execution of that story was bad in reality, but it would have been a lot more fun than muh featz or muh goddess. I can't remember the last time i read a comic where Storm had personality. Maybe her fall out with Colossus in X-Men.
    Last edited by Punch Dimension.; 07-23-2019 at 08:28 AM.

BANNED

Have you read Extraordinary X-Men?

I've never seen a more blatant display of a writer being too petrified to actually try anything risky.
    Storm's inner indecisiveness and inhuman appeasement were pretty meta lol.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    Ugh the levels of accuracy in this post. I can't. Writers have been afraid to take any risks with her character since CC, and her fans won't like anything unless she's portrayed perfectly.

I always said it would have been cool if she was one of the Phoenix 5 along with Cyclops and Emma, and that she shared in his pragmatic turn in the decimation era. Would be cool to see her go through something traumatic that really messed her up, and to see her go underground and against her friends and family. Granted the actual execution of that story was bad in reality, but it would have been a lot more fun than muh featz or muh goddess. I can't remember the last time i read a comic where Storm had personality. Maybe her fall out with Colossus in X-Men.
    Having Storm on the P5 would've required having balls. Would've made the break-up with T'Challa make more sense.
    "Cable was right!"

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

oh goddess! when since her marriage was annulled has ororo been depicted as perfect? when since her marriage was annulled has she been depicted as anything other than a character who has embraced her humanity? these complaints I'm seeing about her fans being more invested in feats versus characterization is far from the truth as the fans I've encountered, including myself, have been arguing for both. I cant tell you how many times I've seen posts about storm bot, or lightning lass, or posts about Claremont simply because she has not (in the xbooks for sure) been shown to have good characterization on par with Claremont or even any feats worth posting about.

then you have a writer, a black writer might I add, reintroduce elements beyond just being an xman, such as her ties to Harlem and her connection to divinity which all has been discussed in 616, but this is reduced to simply just feats??? like it or not coates is taking a risk by exploring aspects of the character that has never been done and only hinted at and frankly it's more than anything I've seen from the xoffices. he has taken more care in being consistent to xmen lore than ive seen any recent xmen writer so I dont think the criticism I'm reading of his writing is fair or objective in the least. but alas its pretty interesting seeing stories that allow her to grow beyond being just an xmen are lambasted while being kittys subordinate as a pirate on ship commissioned by a woman who has always disrespected ororo is a thing some here look forward to. very interesting indeed.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-23-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

She’s a boring leader. Too protected as a character in a way. She doesn’t see the same kind of character arcs as leader that Xavier, Cyclops, or even Kitty who was that kid in roller skates once upon a time.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-23-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    oh goddess! when since her marriage was annulled has ororo been depicted as perfect? when since her marriage was annulled has she been depicted as anything other than a character who has embraced her humanity? these complaints I'm seeing about her fans being more invested in feats versus characterization is far from the truth as the fans I've encountered, including myself, have been arguing for both. I cant tell you how many times I've seen posts about storm bot, or lightning lass, or posts about Claremont simply because she has not (in the xbooks for sure) been shown to have good characterization on par with Claremont or even any feats worth posting about.

then you have a writer, a black writer might I add, reintroduce elements beyond just being an xman, such as her ties to Harlem and her connection to divinity which all has been discussed in 616, but this is reduced to just simply to just feats??? like it or not coates is taking a risk by exploring aspects of the character that has never been done and only hinted at and frankly it's more than anything I've seen from the xoffices. unless you find being kittys subordinate while being a pirate being a great direction for the character that is.
    Why would the x-offices take a chance when we now know for a fact that was a mutant mandate. and in the grand scheme of things Storm didn't suffer as much as a lot of other mutants did during this imposed mandate. So why now all of a sudden we are acting like there wasn't one and not even giving a chance to see where Storm goes and why and then say something if we don't like it. Why are we blaming duggan for things other writers have done when he hasn't even produced a page for us to see yet? Why are we complaining about the past rather than speculating on the future and giving it a chance before we see anything? It honestly doesn't make sense to me.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    I mean, sorta? It isn't clear (afaik) which editor mandated things with EXM, but White was an assistant editor at marvel during that time. He just wasn't the lead until this year.

If you have concrete evidence, that'd be awesome. afaik he's the one responsible for the bait and switch wedding, so I'm already not a fan of his.
    Alonso isn't EIC anymore, Jordan was editing the Star wars books. We get all new editors now

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    She’s a boring leader. Too protected as a character in a way. She doesn’t see the same kind of character arcs as leader that Xavier, Cyclops, or even Kitty who was that kid in roller skates once apron a time.
    maybe in recent years but this rebel cyclops a lot of his fans praise was first done by ororo during the Claremont years of uncanny. and much better might I add.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Why would the x-offices take a chance when we now know for a fact that was a mutant mandate. and in the grand scheme of things Storm didn't suffer as much as a lot of other mutants did during this imposed mandate. So why now all of a sudden we are acting like there wasn't one and not even giving a chance to see where Storm goes and why and then say something if we don't like it. Why are we blaming duggan for things other writers have done when he hasn't even produced a page for us to see yet? Why are we complaining about the past rather than speculating on the future and giving it a chance before we see anything? It honestly doesn't make sense to me.

I dont know if you have done this dance before but I've seen many a times where posters said give a story a chance only to be disappointed. its nothing personal against Duggan but people storm fans specifically are tired of being burned. I couldn't imagine the response I would see on this site if cyclops was on a team led by kitty but posters want to sell storm fans how this is the best thing for her since the invention of air conditioning . this is what doesnt make sense to me my friend.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-23-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

The X-books want to hold on to Storm because she is Marvel's premier Black superheroine but don't actually want to use her. We need Lord Feige to set the mandate from the sky in the coming users if there's any chance to fix this. Seeing the MCU's growing focus on diversity, I think Storm will have a massive role in the MCU movies which will trickle down to the books. Because right now, I don't see it happening it any other way. The people who run the books just don't care about her. People are right.. Cyclops would never be sidelined into taking orders from these younger mutants. Cyclops fans were mad about Tyke taking orders from Jeen, they're straight up lying if they wouldn't be upset if he started answering to the younger mutants.

And they'd be right to be upset about that if it did happen by the way. It just shows how disrespected Storm is under the X-editorial.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    The X-books want to hold on to Storm because she is Marvel's premier Black superheroine but don't actually want to use her. We need Lord Feige to set the mandate from the sky in the coming users if there's any chance to fix this. Seeing the MCU's growing focus on diversity, I think Storm will have a massive role in the MCU movies which will trickle down to the books. Because right now, I don't see it happening it any other way. The people who run the books just don't care about her. People are right.. Cyclops would never be sidelined into taking orders from these younger mutants. Cyclops fans were mad about Tyke taking orders from Jeen, they're straight up lying if they wouldn't be upset if he started answering to the younger mutants.

And they'd be right to be upset about that if it did happen by the way. It just shows how disrespected Storm is under the X-editorial.
    thank you!!! I just need some truth in here and I'm so glad you are acknowledging this. much appreciated my friend!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    maybe in recent years but this rebel cyclops a lot of his fans praise was first done by ororo during the Claremont years of uncanny. and much better might I add.

I dont know if you have done this dance before but I've seen many a times where posters said give a story a chance only to be disappointed. its nothing personal against Duggan but people storm fans specifically are tired of being burned. I couldn't imagine the response I would see on this site if cyclops was on a team led by kitty but posters want to sell storm fans how this is the best thing for her since the invention of air conditioning . this is what doesnt make sense to me my friend.
    I'm not even saying give it a chance I'm saying how can you complain about something you haven't even read or know the circumstances of. It's not going to solve anything, it's not going to change anyone's minds. It's just rehashing the same stuff over and over again. How do youn know kitty doesn't beg storm to join this team? How do you know storm doesn't confront Emma and say she's going to go with kitty and if Emma crosses the line storm will finish her off herself. How do you know in the new status quo storm isn't in this team to give them diplomatic immunity. No one is saying wait and see but going on and on about how you feel storm was done wrong for years and how she is taking orders from Emma or whatever else before reading a single issue isn't doing any favors to anything or anyone.

Literally the only thing you know is Emma is funding kitty as a captain to help.people and storm is there. That is literally all you know.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-23-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

If Storm cant run the show and they want to push her as not leading, Jean should be in her lead spot. Or maybe Psylocke...that adds up better....