Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #75 Preview

The preview for #75 is up at Den of Geek!

Sadly, the image quality of the preview is not that good, especially not for the double-spread ending it, that called me back to Prince Valiant by Hal Foster.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Of course Nubia is the villain. I honestly would have rather have it be Empress Hippolyta. Next to Diana, shouldn’t Hippolyta have at least taken on Grail and win? I get that Wilson needs plot but Hippolyta is very powerful
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-22-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Wow. Can we PLEASE keep Xermanico on art?! Because this is just lovely and beautiful and fun to look at.

(Also, I’m going to hazard a guess that Nubia has a plan up her sleeve that will not bode well for Grail.)

Amazing Member

I’m curious what position Nubia holds in Themyscira.

Antiope and Phillipus are the generals. Atalanta and Faruka II lead the Bana-Mighdall. The Amazons behind Nubia are wearing similar armor, so I don’t think that she guards Doom’s Doorway anymore, or at least not alone.

Diana seems to think highly of her. “Not her. Not ever, Antiope.”

Does she mean that Nubia would never betray their people, or specifically Hippolyta and Antiope?

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This turn of events with Grail has me excited! I wonder why she didn't kill Hippolyta already? Great to see Nubia is back. I wonder if she'll be a creation of Ares again?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Does everyone realize how fortunate we are? This is like a dream. Astarte, Atalanta, Antiope, Mala, Io, Philippus, Artemis and now Nubia are all cannon at the same time. I can't recall there ever being this many prominent Amazons available and the kicker is they're sci-fi Amazons, not the sticks and stones kind. Diana mentioned Astarte brought them knowledge from the stars in Orlando's Mayfly issue. They were already advanced in Rucka's run. Literally anything is possible in this epic fight for Themyscira and I couldn't be happier about it!

I wonder if Nubia will be related to Diana

Extraordinary Member

So a whole bunch of Amazons Houston gave up on Hippolyta and helped put her in chains?

If that turns out to be the sum total of their reason for defecting, you can colour me unimpressed.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Of course Nubia is the villain. I honestly would have rather have it be Empress Hippolyta. Next to Diana, shouldn’t Hippolyta have at least taken on Grail and win? I get that Wilson needs plot but Hippolyta is very powerful
    Well apparently half the noble Amazon race would rather side with a psychopath.

Those better be the Chi Amazons.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

I may be wrong, but from the preview, I'm more under the impression that in the collapse of their world, Grail came in, offering them something long denied by the Gods of Olympus (the freedom to go wherever they want and not being tied to Are's prison) and the opportunity to fulfill their mission to make the World of Man better for women by any means necessary.

If that's the case, immortal warrior women who have spend an eternity in a society where all Men are basically bad or at least responsible for all the bad things in the world, whether they want it or not, could easily gather around Grail's promises.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

Or perhaps they're Azzarello's Amazons. Another options is that Grail is controlling them somehow.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

There's something rather troubling about how the evil Amazon faction seems to have more non-white women in it and seems to have Nubia (the first non-white Amazon character) as second in command.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There's something rather troubling about how the evil Amazon faction seems to have more non-white women in it and seems to have Nubia (the first non-white Amazon character) as second in command.
    If I'm correct I believe before becoming an ally Nubia started out as a villain, who was second in command to Ares, in a story that was much more racially charged than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    If I'm correct I believe before becoming an ally Nubia started out as a villain, who was second in command to Ares, in a story that was much more racially charged than this one.
    I'm aware of that. The optics of this still don't seem better but the case could be different with the context revealed.