Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Once Marvel starts putting out xmen content... do you think...

They will try to expand out to wider breadths of characters, or do what fox did and put a heavy emphasis on certain characters, like wolverine?

I won't go into details of my disinterest in wolverine, that is a trip wire here due to the wide ranging love of that character from the xmen universe over so many others, but I'd really like to see a wider variety and more expansive showcases of characters and corners of the universe.

Can't really imagine anything x-men without wolverine, cyclops, storm and the likes.

They wont start with Pixie or Armor.

In a way, I would like to see the original team but revamped to fit into a modern setting. The big failing of the Fox stuff is how poorly they developed Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Angel and Beast (slight exception with the latter). I'd like to see that team starting out really young and trying to fit into the fear-laden society we now have in America.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The original five would be a good choice for starters indeed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    In a way, I would like to see the original team but revamped to fit into a modern setting. The big failing of the Fox stuff is how poorly they developed Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Angel and Beast (slight exception with the latter). I'd like to see that team starting out really young and trying to fit into the fear-laden society we now have in America.
    If everyone else got their due, it would not bother me, I just don't want another wolverine fest where the point of the series is supposed to revolve around him. It's mystique on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    If everyone else got their due, it would not bother me, I just don't want another wolverine fest where the point of the series is supposed to revolve around him. It's mystique on steroids.
    Except people wanted Wolverine. When we started getting this heavy heapings of Mystique it left you wondering"Who asked for this?". But I do agree and I dont think Wolverine will even be in the Xmen when the MCU brings them in. I'd be happy with Wolverine popping up all over the MCU but not joining the Xmen untill the 2nd or even 3rd movie. And yea he should be a side character in a Xmen movie not the main protagonist. Let Cyclops and some others get they're shine. But I like Wolverine and I'm down with him getting a Series or his own movies. But defiently dont let him steal the thunder in the Xmen movies.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 07-23-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I would go down the Blue and Gold route after the introductions. Two teams, two film trilogies and supporting each other and other MCU characters in more epic films.

Also give the more well received characters their own mini series on Disney Plus.

Ultimate Member

I can see the MCU X-men starting with the original five and later expanding the roster to include Wolverine and the likes.

The series does revolve Cyclops,Storm and Wolverine. Go ahead name a major X-men story without Wolverine in it? You probably will get only Inhumans vs X-men. And that had Old Man Logan. Wolverine being use a lot is not accident,He is the arguably most popular and by far most proven character with individual success. Everyone gets their due in the comics because there is a lot books and time. When it comes to major stories that is not the case. And movies in general are the major stories. It is nothing like Mystique stuff. Wolverine show up comics and X-men comics a lot

#1 Marvel: Wolverine (1974) - 13428 appearances

#2 Marvel: Cyclops (1963) - 9277 appearances

#3 Marvel: Ororo Munroe aka Storm (1975) - 8143 appearances

#4 Marvel: Beast (1963) - 8020 appearances

#5 Marvel: Iceman (1963) - 6518 appearances

#6 Marvel: Colossus (1975) - 6258 appearances

#7 Marvel: Jean Grey (1963) - 6240 appearances

#8 Marvel: Angel (1963) - 6170 appearances

#9 Marvel: Professor X (1963) - 6159 appearances

#10 Marvel: Nightcrawler (1975) - 5697 appearances

oh yeah

Mystique 2549 appearances

Everyone is not going to get their due in a movie just ask Hawkeye,Vision, Scarlet Witch,Wasp and Hank Pym fans. The format isn't built for that even for characters who should get time. X-men would better as premium long form TV show(see Heroes when it worked) but since that is not going to happen. Just have a understanding Wolverine is going to show up a lot if they accurate do the X-men.

If there is a brightside Marvel will extended X-men franchise much like it is doing with Avengers with premium TV shows. Characters like Gambit, Cable, Magneto, Storm,Kitty Pryde,X-23 are interesting options for extending out. MCU X-men movies shouldn't be only outlet for X-men characters and that is how you will get more of the characters you like with Wolverine around.

I suspect they will do something different. We may get individual minor mutants in other stories and slowly develop the paranoia and distrust of genetic change then just have a fully formed X-Men team appear at some point as if they have been working in private and training.

A little like Spider-Man we don’t need to see the origins all over again, even if they were slightly different or if they introduced new characters. I think it would be a misstep to form a core O5 and build from there. It could even make sense to just go for the Giant Sized X-Men kind of lineup. By that I don’t mean the exact personnel but suddenly mix things up. A new team bursting out of the posters much like that classic cover.

This could also make sense in terms of the synergy with the new status quo about to be revealed in the comics. Ditch the mansion and have a Krakoa setting. Something weird and new to the general audience. A visually distinct style. Bold and new to differentiate it from the past.

As for teams I think it needs to be built around a new, more solid but grim Cyclops, or a more terrifying Storm. The X-Men could even be introduced as villains and then slowly be given a more sympathetic backstory. Really push for them being other. External threats that don’t want to play by the rules of the world.

Then where we have familiar characters go for the stranger incarnations. Spiky and edgy Iceman with his fully developed powers, a darker Beast, a totally different and more feral Wolverine, but pick one or two not all of them. Definitely don’t do Dark Phoenix ever again. If necessary you could do that story with Bobby.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-23-2019 at 12:37 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I assumed new content was for animated movies, new cartoon series and video games. I am partially more excited about that than new movies.

It has been confirmed numerous times there would be X-Men movies in the MCU. The movies need a break though. 5-8 years break. Let time pass to ease some of the damage of Dark Phoenix.

Kinberg really messed up here. if the franchise just ended with Logan. The first MCU X-Men movie would have been released by 2021.

Fantastic Member

as much as fans may love the O5, the MCU is a different universe. Their Avengers were not the 616-Avengers, and so too should the MCU find their own path with the X-men. That said, we got an Antman film. We got Guardians of the Galaxy. The MCU was not just Captain America and Iron Man, even though they were the primary protagonists of the first 3 phases. Since it looks like the Disney Plus works are integral to the plans going forward, and we're getting Hawkeye, Falcon, Winter Soldier, Scarlet Witch and Vision there, who knows what we could see with regards to the X-franchise.

I do worry that Phase V will start doing that with Cyclops and Wolverine, but I feel the creative forces have bought themselves a lot of good will.

They will try to expand out to wider breadths of characters, or do what fox did and put a heavy emphasis on certain characters, like wolverine?

I won't go into details of my disinterest in wolverine, that is a trip wire here due to the wide ranging love of that character from the xmen universe over so many others, but I'd really like to see a wider variety and more expansive showcases of characters and corners of the universe.
    I see them doing what First Class did. We'll get some old favorites with some new names. Hopefully they aren't cannon fodder but the MCU has played favorites before. The MCU was just better at Fox at switching between characters and giving them some due.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    The original five would be a good choice for starters indeed.
    Would it? Can't see Marvel going with 5 white people to reignite the franchise. Six if you count Charles. Especially with parallels regarding mutants/minority/discrimination are brought into play.

Yeah, they did it with The Avengers, but that was in 2011, and the MCU has gotten, and is getting more diversified since.

Giant sized X-Men #1 would be a nice lineup though.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 07-23-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Would it? Can't see Marvel going with 5 white people to reignite the franchise
    Ah yes lol, Americans and their obsessions with race. I tend to forget that.