Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    None of those characters race is vital to the chatacter. You just cant make Beast Black, for obvious reasons. Angel and Iceman have fun with them. Cyclops too but yea Jeans Red hair is kinda iconic so iono maybe keep her. But look what Spiderman did with MJ and people love her in far from home. I think if something done well even comic fans can accept change.

But yea instead I'd go with something like Cyclops,Beast,Storm,Forge,Nighcrawler,Jean. But you could put Rogue in instead of Jean and I'd be cool with. Also maybe Morph just to do something different or Gambit.
    I've heard a lot of people complain about MJ being race bent. Personally, I still think she should have been kept an attractive red headed white girl. It's really a tightrope that the studios have to walk if they want to diversify established characters. Yeah, Scott Summers for instance can be made Chinese. But Cyclops even people with even a casual interest in comics has known him for years as a white American. So does he come from a Chinese family, and is Chinese cultural explored with him now? As a black guy myself, I don't want hand-me-down characters that are race bent to appease the jackals at the door. That just comes off as pandering to me. Give me orginal characters that are black from the start, while keeping the bigger characters who are largely known to fans the way they are.

I mean ****, isn't this the type of thing Harry Potter fans are ticked off at JK Rowling for?
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 07-23-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I just hope they are smart enough to use Lorna in the first movie. With her being the only child of Magneto in the MCU they should use her to set up that dynamic.

I have said many times over that I would have no problem with them race-bending a few characters instead filling slots with lesser characters. Their is nothing in their characters that say Cyclops or Beast have to be white. With Iceman and Angel being from uptight white families is kinda in their characters though. I would much rather see a black Cyclops or a latino Beast than just using lamer characters to fill out a checklist.

I would start with Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Marvel Girl, Polaris, and Colossus to begin with, and bring in Storm, Sunfire, Nightcrawler, and Wolverine latter. I would leave Angel off the list because both time we have seen him on screen he just doesn't seem to work, but I would mention him as having been a student at one time.
    I've always liked icemans powers, but I've never seen a fully fleshed out depiction of him on screen. If they gave him a fraction of the attention wolverine got I think it would do wonders for him and a number of other mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    I've heard a lot of people complain about MJ being race bent. Personally, I still think she should have been kept an attractive red headed white girl. It's really a tightrope that the studios have to walk if they want to diversify established characters. Yeah, Scott Summers for instance can be made Chinese. But Cyclops even people with even a casual interest in comics has known him for years as a white American. So does he come from a Chinese family, and is Chinese cultural explored with him now? As a black guy myself, I don't want hand-me-down characters that are race bent to appease the jackals at the door. That just comes off as pandering to me. Give me orginal characters that are black from the start, while keeping the bigger characters who are largely known to fans the way they are.

I mean ****, isn't this the type of thing Harry Potter fans are ticked off at JK Rowling for?
    Well far from home MJ isnt Mary Jane anyway so they got around that in more then one way. But no matter what you do some people arent gonna be happy. MJ reception in FFH was largely positive.

Some characters they're race is important. I'd Argue Batman because he comes from old east coast money. Cap because let's be honest in 40s America wouldnt have rallied behind anyone who wasnt white the way cap was suppose to have been. There are story reasons for some but those two character plus people like Superman or Wolverine are just so Iconic you want to stay faithful as possible. Cyclops doesnt have enough die hard fans to matter. The movies definelty didnt do him any favors. Anyway in other aspects of film and tv I think Diversity should be telling new storys from voices of these other races. But the MCU ain't making original characters for the big screen. So to make these superheroes look like the world we live in some race bending is required. Like I know nothing about the Eternals. But that's one diverse ass cast with no outrage. Because even in our circles the Eternals lack die hard fans. There are certain race bends I dont like on paper though. Like Johnny storm, simply because it changed the relationships.if they would made Sue black too I coulda for behind it. But watching that movie no rational person is gonna say Johnny being black was the issue. The actors in that movie are it's only saving grace because they are so likable. I love Teller and B Jordan together in stuff.

Anyway got way off point. The General Audience doesnt care about Cyclops or 90% of Superheroes. Most comic fans dont care enough to be outraged if he was Asian. I mean him being a Square Jawed Preppy type is his defining look. An Asian can fit the bill or any race for that matter. But yea the problem is like the Xmen for example if we do the OG xmen proper they are all white. Yes you could bring storm,Jubilee,Sunspot etc in for some diversity but sometimes the best actor for a role could be of another color. Theres no one who could convince me Denzel Washinton wouldnt have been 100x the Lex Luthor Esierberg could have been even if they played it straight. Anyway I'll judge race Bending on a case by case basis

So here is an interesting note about the O5. None of cartoons started with them, The X-men movies didn't start with them either time X1 or First Class(even apocalypse didn't put together them either). I highly doubt the movies start with O5,The obvious elephant in the room they aren't very diverse but more importantly popularity wise they are X-men more people want to see aka Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, Rogue, Kitty, etc. X-men has some of best minority characters in all of comics it is counter productive to pass over them for "lesser" but kinda chronological significant characters.

Yeah I agree you can change some of O5, professor X and Magneto race without it being huge deal.Quite frankly Angel can take seat, Beast can be supporting role. Jean can tragically die as part of the back story then skipping right to Phoenix stuff when you bring her back. Yeah they should have the O5 as the back story but they should move quickly to next gen who are more diverse and interesting. And begin from that point where nearly every X-men character is play. If you want to see less of Wolverine you will need characters like Gambit, Emma, Early Rogue who aren't just do gooders but more grey.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-24-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post

How exactly can you tell the difference between colour-blind casting and ‘race bent’ casting. MJ seems like colour-blind casting to me. She doesn’t appear to have been cast because of her race. You can unilaterally claim that this is ‘hand-me-down’ but why? All the time remembering it isn’t about us as individuals anyway.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-24-2019 at 03:10 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    I've always liked icemans powers, but I've never seen a fully fleshed out depiction of him on screen. If they gave him a fraction of the attention wolverine got I think it would do wonders for him and a number of other mutants.
    Absolutely. I think the same could be said about many of his depictions in comics until more recently. He was almost comic relief to start with, which is fine, but he has developed. The character has demonstrated over time it can be so much more.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

@Midvillain How dare you tell us that Cyclops doesn’t have enough diehard fans. I’m a diehard Cyclops fan! I should get the other six of us to come round your... oh hang on, fair point. Ignore me.

On a serious note I would miss him if they didn’t include him, but he’s certainly not essential unless they want to tread the same old love triangle path again. Hopefully not.

Besides, us diehard Cyclops fans are a stoic group. We know how to take one for the team. Did I mention how important team work is by the way? And strategy, don’t forget that.

So far the Fox movies have totally failed to demonstrate why Scott is a fascinating character. They haven’t shown how much he cares and how fragile he is. How sacred of doing the wrong thing he is. They half demonstrate his powers are fear based but then keep forgetting and allow him to fade into the background. This was often the case in the comics too. Personally I think there’s a solo movie in Cyclops but I am not sure many producers would recognise the potential.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-24-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Personally I think there’s a solo movie in Cyclops but I am not sure many producers would recognise the potential.
    I don't know about movie but probably a Disney plus show like Hawkeye or Bucky and Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't know about movie but probably a Disney plus show like Hawkeye or Bucky and Cap
    See. You are already trampling on my ruby coloured spectacles. Time to brood and come up with another strategy. One that has zero possibility of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    @Midvillain How dare you tell us that Cyclops doesn’t have enough diehard fans. I’m a diehard Cyclops fan! I should get the other six of us to come round your... oh hang on, fair point. Ignore me.

On a serious note I would miss him if they didn’t include him, but he’s certainly not essential unless they want to tread the same old love triangle path again. Hopefully not.

Besides, us diehard Cyclops fans are a stoic group. We know how to take one for the team. Did I mention how important team work is by the way? And strategy, don’t forget that.

So far the Fox movies have totally failed to demonstrate why Scott is a fascinating character. They haven’t shown how much he cares and how fragile he is. How sacred of doing the wrong thing he is. They half demonstrate his powers are fear based but then keep forgetting and allow him to fade into the background. This was often the case in the comics too. Personally I think there’s a solo movie in Cyclops but I am not sure many producers would recognise the potential.
    Lol I like Cyclops and would love a faithful and well developed version of him on screen. But yea fact is hes a character that had no appeal yet in the public eye. If you make him another color people arent gonna care. And that goes for most characters. I love Namor. And I'm still 100% down with making him Asian. I mean yea someone like the rock(If he let's up on the Mexican supplements), and Luke Evan's both could fit Namors look enough to work. So does an Asian person, because apparently in 616 when a white guy has a kid with atlantian fish people you get someone who looks Asian anyway. But yea it feel right, casting Anthont B Jordan as Superman is an obvious stunt and doesnt feel right. Denzel as Lex Luthor would feel like color blind casting, just fits regardless of race.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    That goes against my desire to see Wolverine shelved for the MCU starter set of X-Men. And I said to modernize the original five, which connotes mixing up their races as a probability, among other things.

So make Charles black. Have Cyclops be Asian. Do whatever with race, it just doesn't matter. Nothing about any of those characters is tied to their skin colors.
    I wouldn't do it because I would be TIRED of the constant backlash and be more worried about the troll who would act out in violence at a theater over it.

A lily white X-Men team is NOT going to cut it. We all know that.

Cyclops, Jean, Logan & Storm are NON-negotiable they are in the movie no matter what.

You might have to do the Giant Sized team and include Iceman & Angel.

Other than Storm & Jubliee (MAYBE Bishop) I can't think of any other POC who should be in the first MCU X-Men film. Unless you age up Prodigy, Surge, Laura, Synch, Monet & the other kids.

Unless you are going to do an X-Men film where they are looking for the Generation X kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Lol I like Cyclops and would love a faithful and well developed version of him on screen. But yea fact is hes a character that had no appeal yet in the public eye. If you make him another color people arent gonna care. And that goes for most characters. I love Namor. And I'm still 100% down with making him Asian. I mean yea someone like the rock(If he let's up on the Mexican supplements), and Luke Evan's both could fit Namors look enough to work. So does an Asian person, because apparently in 616 when a white guy has a kid with atlantian fish people you get someone who looks Asian anyway. But yea it feel right, casting Anthont B Jordan as Superman is an obvious stunt and doesnt feel right. Denzel as Lex Luthor would feel like color blind casting, just fits regardless of race.
    I don’t think it would be a problem for me, but if they made Namor asian it would only turn into a twitter storm about the old ‘Yellow Peril’ controversy. See also the difficulty of casting The Mandarin which will probably take the temperature of the modern international audience. There are many other ways they could go if they do Namor.

It’s always tricky casting deliberately to race, which is why I would advocate colour blind casting. Just audition people like Scott as needing to be an American high school graduate and see who impresses.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Cyclops, Jean, Logan & Storm are NON-negotiable they are in the movie no matter what.
    That is just not true. Indeed it could limit things. I would suggest only Cyclops OR Storm are necessary to start with. You just need a traditional X-Men leader to establish a core and then expand from there. Not saying only have one, but suggesting the core group have to exist is implying certain stories and structures that we don’t need to see again.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Sorry, but the X-Men have enough compelling black characters that they don't need to racebend existing ones. Properly develop Storm. Bring in Bishop. Use Sunspot (though New Mutants might poison that well, should it actually be released). Have Cecilia Reyes be the team doctor. I could go on.

As for the lineup, I have a feeling they'll base it on one pf three eras: Giant Size X-Men (Scott, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, etc.), '90s X-Men (Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean, Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, etc.) or Whedon-era Astonishing X-Men (Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma, Colossus, Beast, Kitty, etc.). I'd bet on one of the first two, but Marvel's penchant for using more recent stories/settings as their backdrop means that you can't rule the Whedon lineup out.

They would modify them, of course (for example, I'm positive they would swap out Emma for Jean in the Astonishing lineup), but I think they'll use one of those three as a template.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I think if they bring in the X-Men it won't be for many years, and they will go with the original group in an origin story.

Trying to do a full reboot of that franchise right now would be a mistake. The X-Men movies were very successful, most of them were very good, and a reboot right now would seem like big-budget cosplay.

It may be a very long time, if ever, before they bring in Wolverine. Hugh Jackman has owned that role for the last 20 years in a way that few other actors in recent memory have.