Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jonathan Hickman LOVES DC!!! - news from San Diego Comic Con 2019

Jonathan Hickman had an X-Men panel at the recent San Diego Comic Con, but talked about other things including his love for DC Comics and their characters. Newsarama live blogged it.

https://www.newsarama.com/46199-sdcc...e-for-all.html

In fact, he confirmed that DC did want him to come over to DC to do some things. Here's what he said:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Hickman's Comic Con panel

- On his greatest unfulfilled ambitions in comics, Hickman said X-Men has been it. "Everything else is probably at DC - I was offered the opportunity to go over there, but the market shifted underneath everyone when Axel left Marvel and Bendis jumped to DC. So the president of Marvel called me up and asked what it'd take to come back."

- Hickman said he grew up a TEEN TITANS fan, and would love to do that someday. "I love that company, and I love those books."

- Hickman said he would love to do a small Blue Devil story, "just going to the grocery store or something" but I don't get hired to do those kinds of things. He said he gets hired to do big stuff.

Now, Hickman is under an exclusive Marvel contract, and I think normally these things go for three years. Assuming that to be the case, it does seem that once Hickman is finished with this contract, and assuming he doesn't want to renew to continue with X-Men, maybe DC will be in a position to snag him then.

He mentions Teen Titans as a book he'd like to do, but if X-Men proves he can handle an expansive cast, I'd like to see him do Legion of Super-Heroes, but since DC is going all-in on a brand new Bendis-Legion free from prior continuity, someone like Hickman might not want to follow up with that.

So, would you guys want Hickman to come over to DC eventually? If so, which titles would you want him to take on and what would take would you want from him -- on any particular title, what should he keep and what should he throw out?

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

My guess is by the time he comes over to DC, his best work will be behind him and what will be left is fairly average.

Could be wrong, but there's not a lot of history with writers jumping primarily from one company to the other with great success.

Yeah, I already lost interest in his X-Men relaunch so this news doesn’t excite me. Shame, I thought I’d be the first in line.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

He needs to save the Titans franchise because no one else is capable of doing it. At least he's generating interest in the X-men which they lost over the years.

I remember all the speculation he'd be signing up with DC before he was announced to be back with the X-Men. Sounds like Marvel kind of scrambled to net a big gun back after Bendis went to DC.

It does seem like the interest is still there, so maybe someday he can do some DC work. I mean, he's passionate about the Titans, and with his caliber of work we might potentially have a future best Titans run on our hands .

I certainly wouldn't pass a Teen Titans book written by him.

Never read a book by him but any big name with even the slightest interest in the Titans franchise should be given carte blanche and a red carpet.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Now that I've seen his House of X comic, I can see that Hickman might have a love for Legion of Super-Heroes as people have hoped.

From the looks of his comic, Hickman has basically created his own version of Interlac and is peppering it throughout the issue as Levitz/Giffen used to do.

Maybe one day, Hickman really WILL do a Legion comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember all the speculation he'd be signing up with DC before he was announced to be back with the X-Men. Sounds like Marvel kind of scrambled to net a big gun back after Bendis went to DC.

It does seem like the interest is still there, so maybe someday he can do some DC work. I mean, he's passionate about the Titans, and with his caliber of work we might potentially have a future best Titans run on our hands .
    He mentioned that there was a bug shake up as Alonso left Marvel and Bendis joined DC. Maybe Hickman WAS slated for Legion of Super-Heroes, but those plans fell through when Bendis signed with DC? And then new Marvel editor in chief CB Cebulski and X-Men editor Jordan D White called Hickman and invited him to pitch for the X line?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

DC was actually at SDCC? Huh, wouldn't have known that seeing as how they didn't announce a thing

In all seriousness, Hickman would be a welcome breath of fresh air at DC. Hope it can happen after he saves the X-Men.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He mentioned that there was a bug shake up as Alonso left Marvel and Bendis joined DC. Maybe Hickman WAS slated for Legion of Super-Heroes, but those plans fell through when Bendis signed with DC? And then new Marvel editor in chief CB Cebulski and X-Men editor Jordan D White called Hickman and invited him to pitch for the X line?
    Hickman's a LSH fan, his Avengers run was essentially the Legion, I would vastly prefer that over Bendis.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Jonathan Hickman had an X-Men panel at the recent San Diego Comic Con, but talked about other things including his love for DC Comics and their characters. Newsarama live blogged it.

https://www.newsarama.com/46199-sdcc...e-for-all.html

In fact, he confirmed that DC did want him to come over to DC to do some things. Here's what he said:

Now, Hickman is under an exclusive Marvel contract, and I think normally these things go for three years. Assuming that to be the case, it does seem that once Hickman is finished with this contract, and assuming he doesn't want to renew to continue with X-Men, maybe DC will be in a position to snag him then.

He mentions Teen Titans as a book he'd like to do, but if X-Men proves he can handle an expansive cast, I'd like to see him do Legion of Super-Heroes, but since DC is going all-in on a brand new Bendis-Legion free from prior continuity, someone like Hickman might not want to follow up with that.

So, would you guys want Hickman to come over to DC eventually? If so, which titles would you want him to take on and what would take would you want from him -- on any particular title, what should he keep and what should he throw out?
    So you see the biggest thing he said there? He said Alex left Marvel. It has long been my suspicion that he quit. This doesn’t confirm it but it hints at it. I also believe Bendis may have known he was leaving before he jumped.

He has gone on record as saying he was more of a DC fan when he started at Marvel before.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-25-2019 at 06:05 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    He needs to save the Titans franchise because no one else is capable of doing it. At least he's generating interest in the X-men which they lost over the years.
    Bendis did that too. And his entire run was a big pile of nothing and was just another footnote in the long decades decline of the X-Men. It remains to be seen if Hickman's X-Men isn't the same. But proclaiming he has saved the X-books after one issue is just a little too much.

More likely they are doomed to irrelevancy like the Legion and Titans.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 07-25-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    So you see the biggest thing he said there? He said Alex left Marvel. It has long been my suspicion that he quit. This doesn’t confirm it but it hints at it. I also believe Bendis may have known he was leaving before he jumped.

He has gone on record as saying he was more of a DC fan when he started at Marvel before.
    Well that explains why Secret Wars was basically Marvel Crisis!

Is he Marvel exclusive again? "Blue Devil's Trip to Safeway" would be perfect for one of those quarterly DC specials.