Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Second Coming (possible spoilers)

I've been looking forward to this with some trepidation. Mark Russell is brilliat and has a firm grasp of current issues. He also gets comics and the continuity issues involved. I'm reasonable sure Russell leans left. No big deal, that's OK, plenty of comics creators do. But the fear of this being a bashing of the Christian faith made me nervous. I went into this thinking either awesome or pile of ****. Overall it really didn't hit an extreme, but it was pretty good.

God was a cartoon character. It seems like a joke, but the thought that it could be an interpretation of Old Testament God can be a justification.. The Abraham and his son story fits into this. And who knows, should any of us truly understand God? I suspect the characterization of God may piss people off. I remain cautiously optimistic.

The bringing up of mysterious questions like why put that tree in the Garden and say "don't eat this" in the first place. Christianity is filled with bizarre stuff like this and IMHO, a literal interpretation of it can be a cluster***k.

Jesus wasn't the incompetent slacker early reports had him being. I'd say naive to the context of his surroundings, but in line with the seperation of Jesus the God, and Jesus, the man which Catechism teachers in the Catholic Church tried to get me to understand way back. I'm happier with the son's characterization than the father's but both could grow on me.

Sunstar. We know who Sunstar is "supposed" to be and he was pretty well done especially with the relationship with "not Lois". Both Jesus and Sunstar have doubts, but believe in their missions, which is good. I like the mild sense of humor in here, as a dry academic comparison of Jesus and Superman is "meh".

Pretty good. I'm around for a few more issues anyway.

I enjoyed it too.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Wasn't as concise as I'd like, seemed a bit meandering, nor as challenging, but over all, enough goodness that I'm happy to be getting next couple of issues.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Wasn't as concise as I'd like, seemed a bit meandering, nor as challenging, but over all, enough goodness that I'm happy to be getting next couple of issues.
    I'm not sure I get what you mean by concise. As to it not being challenging, I'm willing to cut some slack for an introductory issue setting up the situation. Overall, it's an Old Testament God and a New Testament Jesus dealing with father and son issues. I hope more people see that in the story, provided, of course, I'm getting it right.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Read it today, liked it well enough. Had a few laughs, and it made me think a little. I don't usually read Russel's work in single issues, but very much enjoy the collected versions. I may wait for that to finish reading it, get it all read in a single sitting.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Incredible Member

Great comic. Read it last week. Funny as all heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Read it today, liked it well enough. Had a few laughs, and it made me think a little. I don't usually read Russel's work in single issues, but very much enjoy the collected versions. I may wait for that to finish reading it, get it all read in a single sitting.
    That's a point I hadn't considered. It's no secret many books read well in single issue format while others read much better in collected format. I haven't read that much of Russell's work so I'll take your word on the "better collected" recommendation. The limited six issue format also backs up your assessment. It's usually not my style to trade wait, but I should give Snagglepuss a collected read to see about Russell's work.