I've been looking forward to this with some trepidation. Mark Russell is brilliat and has a firm grasp of current issues. He also gets comics and the continuity issues involved. I'm reasonable sure Russell leans left. No big deal, that's OK, plenty of comics creators do. But the fear of this being a bashing of the Christian faith made me nervous. I went into this thinking either awesome or pile of ****. Overall it really didn't hit an extreme, but it was pretty good.

God was a cartoon character. It seems like a joke, but the thought that it could be an interpretation of Old Testament God can be a justification.. The Abraham and his son story fits into this. And who knows, should any of us truly understand God? I suspect the characterization of God may piss people off. I remain cautiously optimistic.

The bringing up of mysterious questions like why put that tree in the Garden and say "don't eat this" in the first place. Christianity is filled with bizarre stuff like this and IMHO, a literal interpretation of it can be a cluster***k.

Jesus wasn't the incompetent slacker early reports had him being. I'd say naive to the context of his surroundings, but in line with the seperation of Jesus the God, and Jesus, the man which Catechism teachers in the Catholic Church tried to get me to understand way back. I'm happier with the son's characterization than the father's but both could grow on me.

Sunstar. We know who Sunstar is "supposed" to be and he was pretty well done especially with the relationship with "not Lois". Both Jesus and Sunstar have doubts, but believe in their missions, which is good. I like the mild sense of humor in here, as a dry academic comparison of Jesus and Superman is "meh".

Pretty good. I'm around for a few more issues anyway.