Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

The series really hit its mark with #4. This is what I had been expecting all along, and it did not disappoint.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm definitely given this series an award for most improved over four issues--first issue struck me as very unfocused and superficial, and had I not already subscribed would likely've skipped issue two, which was better, but still un-engaging for me. Issue three, now, that began showing the promise I'd hoped for before issue one, and now, issue four, at last, finally, well, I enjoyed issue four!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I liked issue four as well, but I've been a fan since issue one.

There were jokes, but as the series goes on, the jokes are shifting more to Sunstar and the superhero genre. Jesus still gets a bit of a ribbing, but his actions are pretty much what we'd expect to see of Jesus in today's world. Now, we're led to believe Larry ate his family and we see Jesus talking to him respectfully as we've always heard he did with sinners. I'm not sure how I feel about Jesus' reaction to the name "White Christian Brotherhood". It's possible he would just let it go by, but I wanted to see a reaction.

Sunstar's wife doing the task of getting Jesus out of jail was brilliant. I suspect she's going to be a big part of the conclusion of this series. Part of Christ's message was for us to spread his word through our actions and not always relying on God or a Superhero to do it for us. A lot of that was lost or glossed over in the first few centuries.

The God and Satan mix is something I can't yet figure out. We expect God to lose a lot of the old testament badassery, but is that something that would make sense for Russell's idea of God here?

And we must have a Row-Bot story.

Astonishing Member

Another solid issue. After a slow start, this title is delivering on its promise. The introduction of Satan has really rocked the God-Jesus dynamic, and Sunstar is becoming a more nearly interesting character on his own. I'm looking forward to the next issue already.

SC's been usually coming out the last Wednesday of the month. Had that continued in December, we'd have the final issue released on December 25th. Neat idea, or too much? Personally, I think it would have been fun.

Neat idea, Captain. But woe unto woe, the comics shops will be closed!
    Last edited by matt levin; 12-14-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    SC's been usually coming out the last Wednesday of the month. Had that continued in December, we'd have the final issue released on December 25th. Neat idea, or too much? Personally, I think it would have been fun.
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

-- William Butler Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Nat idea, Captain. But woe unto woe, the comics shops will be closed!
    Thou shalt not let reality get in the way of my fankid fantasies.

Yea, verily.
    And lo, the shoppes were open, just long enough, just long enough.