Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default New Halloween films

More Halloween films in 2020 and 2021, possibly the end of the franchise?

Well considering the last one is called Halloween Ends... I really enjoyed the 2018 Halloween, only question is this: Is there enough Material for 2 films?

Kinda off topic, kinda not...but we're getting this because the character/series has a champion in its creator, John Carpenter. Meanwhile, are we ever getting another Jason movie? Is there no one to champion THAT series/character?

Those two seem like two sides of the same coin to me, cause while Michael isn't as strong as Jason, he's still ridiculously strong, especially for an old man who apparently never works out. The gas station bathroom kill scene from the 2018 movie is up on Youtube and I was thinking, he's JUST short of having enough strength to rip someone's limb off and beat them with it.

But yeah I look forward to more deaths-by-superstrength feats in the upcoming two sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Kinda off topic, kinda not...but we're getting this because the character/series has a champion in its creator, John Carpenter. Meanwhile, are we ever getting another Jason movie? Is there no one to champion THAT series/character?

Those two seem like two sides of the same coin to me, cause while Michael isn't as strong as Jason, he's still ridiculously strong, especially for an old man who apparently never works out. The gas station bathroom kill scene from the 2018 movie is up on Youtube and I was thinking, he's JUST short of having enough strength to rip someone's limb off and beat them with it.

But yeah I look forward to more deaths-by-superstrength feats in the upcoming two sequels.
    It's on the list

https://screenrant.com/upcoming-horr...release-dates/

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    But TBD. Its something at least. And the lore for Jason is actually kind of interesting once you get into it. From what I've seen, he's about the only one of the big names that you can at least understand WHY he does what he does. And honestly, about the only slasher film I like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

They’re dealing with legal bs, if not for that we’d like,y have a new film.

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    They’re dealing with legal bs, if not for that we’d like,y have a new film.
    Yeah I believe the writer of the first film now has the rights to the the mother, the back story, the actual name Friday the 13th, and Camp Crystal Lake and the Production Company/Studio has Jason and the Hockey Mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yeah I believe the writer of the first film now has the rights to the the mother, the back story, the actual name Friday the 13th, and Camp Crystal Lake and the Production Company/Studio has Jason and the Hockey Mask.
    Yes they can make a new Friday the 13th movie, but can't call him Jason, and the killer can't wear a Hockey mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    possibly the end of the franchise?
    No way in hell. Oh I'm sure it'll be intended by John Carpenter to be the end of the franchise. But it won't be. Eventually somebody in Hollywood will see it as an ip they're not making money off of and then comes the sequels, remakes, reboots, and so on. As long as there is money to be had the franchise will live on. Only real question is how long they'll let it stay dead before bringing it back.

I absolutely love the first Halloween, but I just don't think it works as a series because every movie is just trying to capture that lightning in a bottle brilliance of the original. The latest one was pretty good, coming closest to matching the original since the original Halloween II back in the early 80s.

Honestly, Season of the Witch and Rob Zombie sequel are two of the most interesting entries in the franchise because they at least tried to do something radically different. They both kind of failed, but I think their heart was more in the right place, you know?

Jason, on the other hand, has never had a truly brilliant film so his series has been allowed to be more relaxed and enjoyable. He doesn't have that millstone hanging around his neck, and is thus much more conducive to being a franchise character. Heck, no one's favorite Jason movie is the first one (he's not even in it!). The series had to get going before it reached a level quality! Unfortunately, from what I've read the rights to Jason in Friday the 13th our kind of a nightmare of different parties having claim to the character so that's why there hasn't been a revival recently.

Okay the timelines:

Halloween (1978, Carpenter wanted the film to be a stand alone so there is one timeline where it is IMO.).

Halloween 3.

Halloween (1978), Halloween 2, Halloween 4 Return of Michael Myers, Halloween 5 Revenge of Michael Myers, and Halloween 6 Curse of Michael Myers.

Halloween (1978), Halloween 2, H2O, and Halloween Resurrection.

Rob Zombie's Halloween & Rob Zombie's Halloween 2.

Halloween (1978), Halloween (2018), Halloween Kills, and Halloween Ends.

So Six timelines and 13 films. Okay so when they eventually Reboot I say and I'm taking a bit of this from an Idea AVGN had the Reboot should be set in the Halloween 3 universe where Halloween (1978) was a film and were learn Silver Shamrock made all the Halloween masks for all the films and now all the masks are possessing people leading to a battle of the Michael Myers. A battle royale between all Michaels is the only reboot I'll except in the future.

Halloween 3 isn't a bad movie (My LCS owner said its even better after 4 or 5 beers - may have to try that?), it flopped mainly because it was a Halloween movie without Michael Myers in it. You have to wonder if it would of been a hit, would we of got a different Halloween themed movie every couple of years, which is Carpenters original plan? Like Jokerz79 said, Carpenter never wanted to make a sequel to the original.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Halloween 3 isn't a bad movie (My LCS owner said its even better after 4 or 5 beers - may have to try that?), it flopped mainly because it was a Halloween movie without Michael Myers in it. You have to wonder if it would of been a hit, would we of got a different Halloween themed movie every couple of years, which is Carpenters original plan? Like Jokerz79 said, Carpenter never wanted to make a sequel to the original.
    Agreed and pretty sure this movie would be better received if it was just called Season of the witch.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I absolutely love the first Halloween, but I just don't think it works as a series because every movie is just trying to capture that lightning in a bottle brilliance of the original. The latest one was pretty good, coming closest to matching the original since the original Halloween II back in the early 80s.....
    I agree with you. I think retread-wise things have only gotten worse since the reintroduction of Laurie Strode. The Halloween series has steadily devolved into the ultimate nostalgia bait horror franchise.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."