Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

He can have sympathetic motives but the actions and crimes he regularly commits are not in any way heroic
    Definitely agree with that part.

With out the Nora back story ( Which gets old very fast) Mr. Freeze just becomes another low rate villain with a cheesy gimmick. To me Mr. Freeze was a good one or two shot villain but should have never tried to work long term in the Batman History.
    Also agree.

Freeze only needs to appear in one story arc that explains his situation, then Batman and Bruce Wayne solve it, so the next time he appears, he's an ally. Done.
    Is this story arc before or after he does horrible things? Because if after I could see a woman (not Nora, in particular, as she's sort of a blank slate) leaving him after learning what he did, regardless of motivation. Frankly, I could very much see Freeze obsessed and violent with her after she left, too. Or depressed an suicidal - either could happen.

I might go the Punisher route. Nora is revived and then killed. Victor seeks revenge on those who killed her.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Actually, I think it'd be interesting to do a little role reversal. Victor figures out a way to save her, but he ends up comatose and on ice. She is a seemingly normal and good person, but she's secretly a sociopath with limited ice powers and a brilliant mind. She quietly builds up a criminal empire of sorts, and the police and Batman are trying to figure out who the new but mysterious player in town is. I'd say drag it out for quite a while before the whole thing comes to a head. Have Victor wake up and assist Batman during the climax and go relatively legitimate thereafter. Meanwhile, Nora takes his place as Batman's cold-themed villain. Long term, Victor ends up working for STAR Labs. Editorially enforce his face turn.

Cure her and send him to the Suicide Squad.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    To me Mr. Freeze was a good one or two shot villain but should have never tried to work long term in the Batman History.
    I can agree with this. Even in the animated series they had trouble keeping Freeze going with the motivation of curing his wife. They turned him into a full on monster in Cold Comfort, where he was committing acts of superdickery because Nora was cured and remarried...though it DID lead to Meltdown from Beyond...which was a great finale and swan song to end Freeze's villainy. The thing is it's hard for him to keep resorting to crime after a while with his motivation of curing his wife. It's not a goal that is unobtainable without ruining a lot of lives like say someone like Ivy. As GREAT as Heart of Ice was, it did put Freeze in a corner that it is hard to get out of.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Cure her and send him to the Suicide Squad.
    And have the bomb implanted in her neck? No thanks.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I thought "oh man, they're gonna try to do something with Nora again" when I first saw the solicits. And yeah, it's a tired approach that seems to happen every time there's a big event. Like, of course Lex Luthor offers Mister Freeze something in the middle of a big old line-wide crossover.

But it's all about the execution. Lazara's execution wasn't just bad because it made Mister Freeze's motivations unspecial, it was also bad because it made Ra's al Ghul and his Lazarus Pits less special. The more Ra's gets involved with like ... petty Gotham criminals ... the more watered down he tends to be. And that includes not just his character motivations but also just his whole world of weird international assassins and alchemies.

But I repeat it's all about the execution. Sometimes Tomasi has been able to pull off some wonky weird fun stuff. And I mean, if the two of them start going by Mister and Mrs. Freeze I can truly live with it. Madly in love supervillains who can't make love because her body heat would kill him? Straight up reminds me of Rogue over in X-Men. Only they're vmy ip birthday wishes tnebillainous!
    I don't know if we need Supervillain Nora Fries. Kinda preferred how Arkham Knight and the DCAU tie-in comics handled her post-freedom.
    Last edited by amektura; 08-02-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

So it happened. Somehow even worse than I was expecting given they even went down the full New 52 Harley route of her skin changing colour. Thank god for the White Knight origin with Victor and Nora in Nazi Germany coming up because canon Victor and Nora are little more than a cold variant of Joker and Harley now (complete with inevitable split and another eradicated married couple in comics).

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    So it happened. Somehow even worse than I was expecting given they even went down the full New 52 Harley route of her skin changing colour. Thank god for the White Knight origin with Victor and Nora in Nazi Germany coming up because canon Victor and Nora are little more than a cold variant of Joker and Harley now (complete with inevitable split and another eradicated married couple in comics).
    *Deep Sigh* Yeah, it was awful just awful. Modern Mr. Freeze's tragic origin and motivation (drawn from BTAS) was one of the best, if not the best, reinvention of a cheesy classic villain. What has been done to Victor and Nora in recent years is a travesty.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-26-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I kind of want to see where it goes, a modern day Bonnie and Clyde maybe? Though it still goes against Victor's nature to keep doing crime after Nora is revived.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

Not really. He could've chose hundreds of non-criminal means of pursuing his wife's cure, yet he went with mass murder. I think it's perfectly in-character for him to have an inner darkness that doesn't magically go away when Nora is healed.

I don't mind this story so far, and in fact I actually kind of like it, but the fact that Nora has been revived in canon before kind of cheapens it. Tomasi's doing a better job though.

BTAS Freeze is great but he’s only good for a one off. As a reoccurring villain he sucks because you can’t use him that often without damaging his sympathetic nature. That’s why I’m fine with the serialized nature of the comics having Freeze posses an inner darkness that doesn’t immediately go away if Nora returns. That said why the hell is Nora up for becoming a criminal? That’s something that needs to be addressed, was she a Russian Mafia Princess and that’s why she was into ballet?

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I kind of want to see where it goes, a modern day Bonnie and Clyde maybe? Though it still goes against Victor's nature to keep doing crime after Nora is revived.
    I guess that's not Joker and Harley or Harley and Ivy anymore, at least as far as the DCU. Although yeah, why would Nora want to be a criminal?

(Nobody cares about Punch and Jewelee anymore).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I think if you look at Freeze's back-log you can make a case that he's too far into it now, has done too many terrible things, to A. Stop doing it and B. Keep justifying that he only ever did it for Nora. But I agree that you lose the pathos ... and I also don't think anyone is going to line up to make that case within the context of the story, so it's purely academic.

The Mister and Missus Freeze angle I think I can only find fun for a short while, and only really, particularly, because we've got the upcoming Batman/Catwoman whatever. So you know ... might be fun to see some Couples Combat.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Haven't bothered to keep up with Mr. Freeze and his marriage issues, but I always envisioned that Nora would end up dying when awoken from stasis. Then Freeze would exact icy vengeance on the world for taking away his one true love. Extra drama points if another villain/character gave Freeze a "cure" for her that ended up failing.