Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman October 2019 Solicitation

WONDER WOMAN #80
    written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art by JESUS MERINO
    cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    variant cover by NEIL GOOGE
    After failing to save her friends, Wonder Woman must find the power within to vanquish her most powerful foe…who’s only gotten more formidable! But only Diana, who knows Cheetah best, can stop her god-killing spree! Little does Diana know, there’s a deity waiting in the shadows to assume the role of god/goddess of love and help save the world alongside our hero. Will they find each other in time?
    ON SALE 10.09.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

WONDER WOMAN #81
    written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art by XERMANICO
    cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    Olympus has been returned to the gods! Now that the deities of Diana’s world are back in power, all of her troubles are over. Or are they? Using the welcome distraction, Cheetah has finally made her way to her final destination for destruction: Themyscira!
    ON SALE 10.23.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T

WONDER WOMAN ANNUAL#3
    written by STEVE ORLANDO
    art by V KEN MARION and SANDU FLOREA
    cover by TYLER KIRKHAM
    An EVENT LEVIATHAN tie-in issue! Years ago, Wonder Woman saved young Maria Paul from an explosive standoff between A.R.G.U.S. and the insurgent Sons of Liberty. By pulling that child from an inferno of hate, Wonder Woman changed her life. Diana watched Maria grow up into one of A.R.G.U.S.’s top agents. Every step of the way, Wonder Woman mentored Maria, taking her on her first mission – a daring rescue in Gorilla City. But when Leviathan decimates A.R.G.U.S., Diana’s absence causes Maria to question everything, pushing her toward Leviathan itself. And when she does…the truth about her fiery rescue by Wonder Woman might just kill her.
    ON SALE 10.30.19
    $4.99 US | 40 PAGES
    FC | RATED T

Also:

WW-Cv82-.jpg

WONDER WOMAN #82
    writtenby STEVE ORLANDO
    art by JESUS MERINO
    acetate cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    Now that Cheetah has gained control of Themyscira, Wonder Woman must return home for a final showdown. Does she stand a chance against this scholar-turned-monster whose sole purpose was to enter this mythical realm? Meanwhile, Earth is left unprotected and some of Themyscira’s most vile creations have found their way there. What chaos awaits Wonder Woman if she ever returns? Join returning writer Steve Orlando for the first chapter of this six-issue tale!
    ON SALE 11.13.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T
    This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    Please note the acetate covers will be available on first printings only.

JLDARK-Cv17-PREVIEWS2.jpg

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #16
    written by JAMES TYNION IV
    art by ALVARO MARTINEZ BUENO and RAUL FERNANDEZ
    cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    variant cover by TONI INFANTE
    Deep in the basement archives of the Hall of Justice, home to the most dangerous magic the Justice League has ever encountered, there is an artifact so powerful it could rip the world in half. Circe knows it’s there, and with the Injustice League Dark at her side, nobody can stop her from obtaining it. The Witching War strikes close to home in its deadliest chapter yet!
    ON SALE 10.23.19
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+

WONDER WOMAN: COME BACK TO ME #4
    writtenby AMANDA CONNER and JIMMY PALMIOTTI
    art by CHAD HARDIN and TOM DERENICK
    new cover by AMANDA CONNER
    Available to comics shops for the first time! After narrowly avoiding capture by a group of mysterious aliens, Wonder Woman begins to suspect that she and her companions might be pawns in a deadly game! But when she is caught at last, the Amazon warrior leads Cheetah and the others in a prisoner revolt! Originally published in WONDER WOMAN GIANT #2 and #3.
    ON SALE 10.16.19
    $4.99 US | 4 of 6 | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T

WONDER WOMAN GIANT #1
    Includes 24 pages of new stories plus classic reprints!
    ON SALE 10.16.19
    $4.99 US | FC | 96 PAGES

I'm really excited for all this Cheetah stuff coming up, but I hope we also get other villains in some capacity. But with Steve Orlando returning (yay!) I think he'll sneak some of them in where he can. But ugh, I hope those aren't Gail Simone's gorillas on the Annual cover!

I don't read JLD, but Circe's new look is... hmm. I can't decide if I like it or not yet. It's definitely more epic in scale than most of her other looks.

The Come Back to Me story has been very meh, so I hope the new stories in WW Giant #1 are by a different creative team. And my god please stop including New 52 stuff in it! If not Golden Age or Post-Crisis stuff, then at least reprint Rebirth stories.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm really excited for all this Cheetah stuff coming up, but I hope we also get other villains in some capacity. But with Steve Orlando returning (yay!) I think he'll sneak some of them in where he can. But ugh, I hope those aren't Gail Simone's gorillas on the Annual cover!
    Yeah I love Cheetah, but man she really doesn't want to go away in these solicits, does she?

Still, her arriving on Themyscira is pretty great. That's a pretty big payoff after Rucka's run, I'm eager to see her interact with the Amazons and take out her misguided grudge out on them.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah I love Cheetah, but man she really doesn't want to go away in these solicits, does she?

Still, her arriving on Themyscira is pretty great. That's a pretty big payoff after Rucka's run, I'm eager to see her interact with the Amazons and take out her misguided grudge out on them.
    The solicits also call Cheetah her "most powerful foe" which is awesome. Such a step up from how she was ten or even five years ago.

Bondage on my Wonder Woman cover? Heaven forbid .
    I don't read JLD, but Circe's new look is... hmm. I can't decide if I like it or not yet. It's definitely more epic in scale than most of her other looks.
    It looks better then the Rebirth design but looks a little too much like the Queen of Fables.

Now THAT is a Circe design I can get behind, if that's her on the JLD cover. Screw that normal person noise.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The Come Back to Me story has been very meh, so I hope the new stories in WW Giant #1 are by a different creative team. And my god please stop including New 52 stuff in it! If not Golden Age or Post-Crisis stuff, then at least reprint Rebirth stories.

I'm also excited to see Orlando return to the book and share your dislike of Simone's gorillas. Hopefully they are nowhere in sight in the Annual but I wonder if Giganta may be? Pre-Crisis she was an intelligent female gorilla before being turned into a human by Gorilla Gross so it's likely she was originally from Gorilla City. I could see Orlando drawing on Giganta's Silver Age history in his story.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Yeah I think Orlando is going to be Wilson’s successor on the WW book. Looks like a great month all around!

Good stuff ahead. Themyscira can't catch a break between Grail and Cheetah.

Spoiler-y thinking...

spoilers:
    Given the soon-to-be offer made to Cheetah by Apex Lex for deity-killing abilities, I wonder if she swoops in to relieve Themyscira of Ms. Demigod Grail???
    end of spoilers

Would be sad to see Wilson go, even if her run has been plagued by inconsistent art.

But the solicits are troubling. Right now, the Godkiller is in the hands of Grail, and she rules Themyscira. Apparently, the Godkiller supposed to immediately after this issue end up in the hands of Lex Luthor, who then promptly gives it to Cheetah for a murderous rampage and her conquest of Themyscira.

That's just crazy repetitive storytelling, rehashing the same plot points and McGuffins. It stinks of executive meddling.

Another factor here is that I think Cheetah is misused. Instead of a personal nemesis, the friend that Diana failed, Cheetah seems to be reimagined as some nihilistic world-destroying monster. But they already have others such (like Ares), and what they share is that they become impossible to use except in very narrow circumstances, and most importantly almost never get any real dramatic tension with the protagonist.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Would be sad to see Wilson go, even if her run has been plagued by inconsistent art.

But the solicits are troubling. Right now, the Godkiller is in the hands of Grail, and she rules Themyscira. Apparently, the Godkiller supposed to immediately after this issue end up in the hands of Lex Luthor, who then promptly gives it to Cheetah for a murderous rampage and her conquest of Themyscira.

That's just crazy repetitive storytelling, rehashing the same plot points and McGuffins. It stinks of executive meddling.

Another factor here is that I think Cheetah is misused. Instead of a personal nemesis, the friend that Diana failed, Cheetah seems to be reimagined as some nihilistic world-destroying monster. But they already have others such (like Ares), and what they share is that they become impossible to use except in very narrow circumstances, and most importantly almost never get any real dramatic tension with the protagonist.
    I don’t know... after being gone from Themyscira for years, it’s kind of nice to see we’ll be spending some extended time with the Amazons and hopefully get to know them better.

I also like that we’re circling around to one of Rucka’s original plot points of Barbara Minerva wanting to find and access Themyscira. Snyder on Justice League has done a horrible job of giving us any special or extended subplots regarding the why behind Barbara wants to remain the Cheetah now that Urzie is more or less gone. Hopefully these issues will give us the Cheetah characterization we deserve.

Personally, I’m hoping for some intertwining and entanglement of three demigods on Themyscira - Diana, Grail, and Cheetah.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Good stuff ahead. Themyscira can't catch a break between Grail and Cheetah.

Spoiler-y thinking...

spoilers:
    Given the soon-to-be offer made to Cheetah by Apex Lex for deity-killing abilities, I wonder if she swoops in to relieve Themyscira of Ms. Demigod Grail???
    end of spoilers

If that's the case, I hope Cheetah goes on a killing spree and takes out the majority of the gods so that they stop stealing page time away from Diana and her supporting cast/villains.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I don’t know... after being gone from Themyscira for years, it’s kind of nice to see we’ll be spending some extended time with the Amazons and hopefully get to know them better.
    Oh, I'd have nothing against an extended arc centered on Themyscira and the Amazons. But having it be subjected to conquest, flattening, invasion, and liberation is not really conducive to that, especially not when that's all we get to see.

It's another asteroid headed towards Metropolis, before we even get to know the people there, and learn to care about them.

Having the Godkiller somehow end up in the hands of Cheetah is a capital idea, but not through the hands of Lex Luthor (why?), and not immediately after it is wrested from Grail. Having an arc based on Cheetah's interaction with Themyscira is another great idea, but having her conquer the place right after it was liberated from Grail? That's just repetition.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Oh, I'd have nothing against an extended arc centered on Themyscira and the Amazons. But having it be subjected to conquest, flattening, invasion, and liberation is not really conducive to that, especially not when that's all we get to see.

It's another asteroid headed towards Metropolis, before we even get to know the people there, and learn to care about them.

Having the Godkiller somehow end up in the hands of Cheetah is a capital idea, but not through the hands of Lex Luthor (why?), and not immediately after it is wrested from Grail. Having an arc based on Cheetah's interaction with Themyscira is another great idea, but having her conquer the place right after it was liberated from Grail? That's just repetition.
    Well, last we saw of it was Year One, before Diana left and things were good, and briefly at the end of Jason's saga where they repelled Apokoliptan rule, so I guess I'm okay with being thrust in this new development with them. I kind of like that we're flying in as blind as Diana is. We'll see how well GWW does with executing the back to back stories, that on the surface have explanations that seem similar.

For me, I can learn to care about them under the best or worst of conditions, depending upon how they rise to meet the occasion.

Perhaps I haven't paid close enough attention or read all the solicits back to back, but it didn't seem to me that Grail had the Godkiller weapon or that what Apex Lex's offer wasn't going to be something new compared to what he already gave her in the pages Justice League. If it's not a new ability or god-harming object, that would then seem repetitive to me... but again, could misremembering what weapon Grail had in the tree with her to actually be successful at offing Ares and may need to do some rereading.

Regardless, I really dislike that Lex is the one empowering all these villains. I get it plot-wise, but I'd rather see major villains standing shoulder to shoulder with Lex as opposed to being beholden to him.

This is just me, but I'm open to the Grail and Cheetah conquering of Paradise back to back because it's potentially out of the frying pan and into the fire, depending how/GWW pulls it off.

Grail and Cheetah are very different characters with potentially very different reasons for wanting to conquer Themyscira and I have some hope that the solicits say Cheetah is Diana's "most powerful foe... who's only gotten more powerful" for a reason. (One reason being that she puts Grail in the shade.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's issue to see what happens under Grail's rule and if the Chi-Amazons will play a role in saving Themyscira... it'd be an odd twist on the Banazons Post-Crisis fate, if the Chi-Amazons were the ones to migrate to Earth Prime and kids be on Themyscira.