Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Darth Tyranus vs Kylo Ren

Darth Tyranus vs Kylo Ren

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Tyranus would definitely win, he has way more experience and skill. Kylo is too impulsive to defeat someone so strategic.

Also this should be in the Star Wars section.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

This stomp isn't even funny (ok, maybe it will be)

Tyranus:
    - was trained by the best Jedi and Sith (Yoda and Palpatine)
    - decades of experience
    - accomplished duelist
    - accomplished strategist

Kylo Ren:
    - Lost a lightsaber fight against people with zero experience with the weapon
    - Loses his temper often. hesitates. irrational decisions
    - His only real talent is force power. Little to zero good against somebody like Dooku who had formal training with it

iMan 42s

That's not as much a stomp as people would think.

Kylo Ren has it in the raw strength and he's established as being able to take a hit whereas Dooku is not. Dooku's biggest strength as a duelist is his speed in his strikes which makes him an accomplished "fencer", whereas Kylo Ren fights heavy handed but is willing to throw a punch in if it means continuing to do damage. Meaning that disarming him or lowering his weapon is going to mean jack since he isn't afraid of punching Dracula in the throat. There's also the issue of the lock since Kylo Ren does have the cross guard which is going to end much the same way Anakin ended up cutting off Dooku's hands. Kylo Ren is also as powerful as Luke or he's rather close to it. That strength was enough to scare Luke to a degree and has the potential to be as strong as Vader ended up. Lets not sell him short, Kylo Ren is up there.

The Prequel Jedi and Sith had the more advanced technique to take advantage of the lightsaber but in canon Vader even comments on their fighting style. They play the defensive which isn't enough for overwhelming force. They are on the attack less and Dooku was even trained in the technique.

Now Dooku does use lightning, which Kylo Ren (like everybody else) is vulnerable to, but Kylo Ren can freeze people.

It can go either way.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I'm thinking it might've turned out like this (at the one minute mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du8HRf6pRVY
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I would have to look to the fight between Anakin and Dooku's fight in AOTC and not the ROTS fight. I would believe that Ren would have about the same or make be even less training and ability of Anakin in that fight. Tyranus took out both Anakin and Obi-Wan and stood toe to toe with Yoda so at this point of Ren's training he would get trounced by Dooku. Yes Anakin did come back and destroy dooku but that was after a few years of fighting in a war and increased training and the analysis can change after the next movie but for now I'm of the opinion that it would be no contest.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I wonder how Ren would do against his namesake ("Ben" Obi-Wan Kenobi)....or his grandfather.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I wonder how Ren would do against his namesake ("Ben" Obi-Wan Kenobi)....or his grandfather.
    Anakin would run Kylo Ren over faster than a battle droid

- Anakin was a beast in sword combat. Kylo Ren couldn't hold it against two people with zero lightsaber experience.
    - Anakin was faster, more agile, had formal training, more experienced, and far more skilled than Kylo Ren.

Kylo Ren doesn't have a single advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I get the feeling that Kylo Ren would get stomped out by pretty much any accomplished force user. Seems like he's got raw power but absolutely no practical experience.

Extraordinary Member

I might get a bit snarky here, but with some reasoning behind it.

Tyranus should have the overall advantage, and pretty consistently at that, but I’d argue that if I’m allowed to make a differentiation, TFA Kylo has a better shot than TLJ Kylo, partially because of some things that seem more specific to each film based off the view and function their directors had for them.

TFA Kylo demonstrates a power that I kind of feel like Rian Johnson might have seriously forgotten about, that *could* be a successful maneuver against Tyrannus if it’s a maneuver that he can pull of specifically because of his power level (one of the few advantages Kylo definitely has): the Force Freeze. I mean, it’s really just basic Force Push/Pull stuff on a grand scale. It’s conceivable that Kylo might be able to pull that off on Tyranus, or at least pull it off *enough* to get a win.

I’d also say that since Abrams viewed Kylo more as an antagonist who is only defeated because of a specific character arc he goes through, while Johnson has some “half the protagonist” view that shackles Kylo’s skills to Rey’s skill level and isn’t really interested in making Kylo come off as a good villain even a little bit. In TFA, Kylo only has his strength start to take a hit after his vulnerability specific to his family gets triggered and it causes a chain reaction that leads to his guard being lowered, him getting gut shot, and then getting worn down all as his specific emotional vulnerability is causing his breakdown. Since Tyranus can’t hit that target, TFA Kylo might have better control than TLJ Kylo.

Otherwise, outside of power and maybe the Force Freeze ability, Tyranus has him beat. Tyranus was a successful and unorthodox Jedi Master (he trained freakin’ Qui-Gon Jinn!) before he became Sidious’s Sith Apprentice, a master of Force Lightning, and was a freak for lightsaber dueling. Kylo’s only real chance is to avoid crossing sabers with Tyranus, and try to win a pure Force Battle from a distance, trying to avoid Force Lightning with hismloghtsaber, and focusing on just trying to manhandle Tyranus with Force Freeze and other stuff.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

IMO, Kylo Ren gets curb-stomped by any seasoned Jedi Knight or Jedi Master in the prequel or original trilogies let all own Count Dooku. Heck, Ahsoka might be able to defeat Kylo handily and she never advanced beyond the rank of padawan. Kylo simply doesn't have the skill set necessary to win. He's like Savage Opress, he has a metric ton of raw power but he's just a brute who fails against anyone he can't steamroll early on in their encounter.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-27-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

dooku's was a anti-jedi in terms of sword combat. the reason why he was such a beast of a duelist was because his style was tailor made to take advantage of the fact that GR era jedi didn't have training focused on light saber combat and instead was more focused on dealing with blasters. dooku even said this would come back to bite the jedi in the ass before he left and it did. add to the fact that kylo has little to no experience in actual light saber duels, especially against one of the best duelist in the galaxy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    IMO, Kylo Ren gets curb-stomped by any seasoned Jedi Knight or Jedi Master in the prequel or original trilogies let all own Count Dooku. Heck, Ahsoka might be able to defeat Kylo handily and she never advanced beyond the rank of padawan. Kylo simply doesn't have the skill set necessary to win. He's like Savage Opress, he has a metric ton of raw power but he's just a brute who fails against anyone he can't steamroll early on in their encounter.
    Ashoka was a master by the time of the Rebels cartoon.

Ultimate Member

Dooku defeated Obi Wan and Anakin in rapid succession, and held his own against Yoda. Kylo, got beaten by a girl with no training whatsoever, still couldn't beat her in the next film, and even a non-Force User managed to slice him good across the shoulder.

No contest, Dooku would eat Kylo alive in a duel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Ashoka was a master by the time of the Rebels cartoon.
    Unofficially (non-Jedi) yes she did indeed.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."