Spectacular Member

Default Wonder Woman in Aquaman #50

I was catching up on some comics last night and came across Wonder Woman's guest appearance in Aquaman #50.

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

It was a refreshingly non-aggressive, non-action guest spot for Diana. She was dropping by Amnesty Bay after hearing that Aquaman has returned from an extended absence. Her first appearance (with what I assume is the DC-mandated sword-in-hand) is beautifully drawn by Robson Rocha and Eduardo Pansica. They are definitely referencing Gal Gadot's movie look (note the heels).

Her sword is quickly sheathed and she helps a young boy who has fallen down. She also gently but firmly chastises a bunch of aggressive reporters on how to properly treat strangers and visitors with welcome and an offer of assistance. Then it was just a proper catch up with a friend on "what's been going on, where has he been and how's his relationship going" over a cup of tea and some cake.

For me, this was one of the best guest appearances by Diana. It simply depicts an easy and good friendship. I loved how Kelly Sue DeConnick captured Diana's voice: caring, relatable and modern, "normal" and human. From this brief glimpse, I think KSD could be a good choice to write Wonder Woman's own series.

Just caught up with my reading over the weekend and I adored this guest appearance. Diana doesn't cross over much these days, and it was so refreshing ('cept for the sword) to see her written so beautifully. Kind, gentle, compassionate yet firm and regal. I miss this Diana!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I was beyond blown away with Diana's characterization in this issue. So much that i hope DeConnick gets a run on Wonder Woman some day soon. The amount of compassion & understanding that Diana displayed was almost overwhelming.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Very cool. This is absolutely the sort of thing Diana would do.

It annoyed me in King's Batman issues that Diana and Steve weren't along for the ride with a triple date with Bruce, Selina, Clark, and Lois. Diana really would have asked some interesting questions of Bruce and Selina.

She also gently but firmly chastises a bunch of aggressive reporters on how to properly treat strangers and visitors with welcome and an offer of assistance.
    She references Paradise Island, where they also tend to banish you if you’re a guy

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    She references Paradise Island, where they also tend to banish you if you’re a guy
    Not before healing him and fixing his plane

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Very cool. This is absolutely the sort of thing Diana would do.

It annoyed me in King's Batman issues that Diana and Steve weren't along for the ride with a triple date with Bruce, Selina, Clark, and Lois. Diana really would have asked some interesting questions of Bruce and Selina.

That grated on me as well--to only see Bruce and Selina, Lois and Clark. It was a shame to not have Diana and Steve included in the story. It would have made for some interesting dynamics and interesting conversation combinations.
    Last edited by JackBNimble; 07-24-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Not before healing him and fixing his plane
    I'm so happy we're back to these Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    That grated on me as well--to only see Bruce and Selina, Lois and Clark. It was a shame to not have Diana and Steve included in the story. It would have made for some interesting dynamics and interesting conversation combinations.
    Right?! I mean, Clark and Bruce don't act like good friends all that much anymore. (Maybe their upcoming title will change that at bit.) I like what King did, but I would have gone in more a bit with Lois and Selina questioning one another and chatting and Selina getting all up into Clark's business. I mean, she's meeting Superman after all. She can still play it cool, but she's not shy and she's been let in on one of the biggest secrets in the superhero community... but I digress...

We need more Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince time to establish their friendship. Out of any of the heroes, I can see Diana being the most welcoming of Selina to the club. (I know the wedding didn't happen, but that wouldn't have stopped Bruce from hanging out with Diana and Selina too.) Maybe some of this will get rectified in the Batman/Catwoman title coming out... depending on how their relationship moves forward.

I'd LOVE to see Selina get introduced to the Justice League and interact with them from her perspective. It almost writes itself.

So many lost opportunities that could still happen, but I'm also the guy who has a Lois, Steve, and Selina miniseries inside him.

Right?! I mean, Clark and Bruce don't act like good friends all that much anymore. (Maybe their upcoming title will change that at bit.) I like what King did, but I would have gone in more a bit with Lois and Selina questioning one another and chatting and Selina getting all up into Clark's business. I mean, she's meeting Superman after all. She can still play it cool, but she's not shy and she's been let in on one of the biggest secrets in the superhero community... but I digress...

We need more Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince time to establish their friendship. Out of any of the heroes, I can see Diana being the most welcoming of Selina to the club. (I know the wedding didn't happen, but that wouldn't have stopped Bruce from hanging out with Diana and Selina too.) Maybe some of this will get rectified in the Batman/Catwoman title coming out... depending on how their relationship moves forward.

I'd LOVE to see Selina get introduced to the Justice League and interact with them from her perspective. It almost writes itself.

So many lost opportunities that could still happen, but I'm also the guy who has a Lois, Steve, and Selina miniseries inside him.
    Omg I’ve been thinking this for a long time!!!they are their own little trinity.

Spectacular Member

I would also enjoy seeing more of Diana and Bruce's friendship outside of costumes. I think they could have a fun, sibling rivalry-esque dynamic. I vaguely recall one scene from Kelly's Justice League run of Diana showing up at the manor for dinner and Alfred answering the door. But that was when they were trying to ship Diana/Bruce.