Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Not happy about the Jubes/Jono result

So, back a few years, even when X-Men kinda went off the rails because of Marvel trying to crush the property in favor of Inumans, even though I backed out of some of the X-books at the time, I still had a soft rule to keep up with the Gen X kids that remained. So, Monet, Penance, Jubes, Jono and Paige.

And during that time (and after), one thing became demonstrably and consistently clear: Jono and Jubes were in it for the long haul. Whatever random bullshit they were each individually going through, even up to and including them each being literally depowered of their mutancy, they would stick together.

So...to see Jubilee joining a UK-based team...and Jono isn't on it, seems like a profound oversight by the editors, Hickman, or some damn body.

My concern is that since they've slapped someone without any pedigree whatsoever onto Excalibur (it's basically the Gen X relaunch all over again, which was a dismal failure), we have another case of "I saw the X-Men 90s cartoon...which of those X-Men can I use? Jubilee, Gambit and Rogue? Cool, I can work with that."

I mostly don't care if the writers want to screw up 90% of the X-Men. You can BASICALLY get Gambit and Rogue and Cyclops and Jean and Wolverine and the rest right if you have a general idea about their characterization. But these B characters like Rockslide and Dust and Anole and Monet and Chamber and X23 and even Jubilee -- they rely a lot more on very small subplots. They don't always get to dig their teeth into the main storytline threads of the X-books and big marvel events. So for writers to get these characters right...they have to really, really want to give a ****. I mean, we see what happens to X23 from book to book. We see random writers just writing Jubilee as "90s Mall rat" persona. And this announcement of the lineup gave me all the feelings that all the decades of Chamber and Jubilee friendship building is basically being tossed for "I watched the X-Men cartoon when I was a kid!"

Its not an oversight. Jubilee probably dumps him after she finds out he dumped her kid in the sewers with Callisto. How can she move forward in a relationship with him when he was so careless with the person most dear to her? In real life that would be a deal breaker. Chamber was better off giving Jono to a foster home if he couldnt look after him anymore. Callisto and the Morlocks when mutants are being targeted and slaughtered....WTF?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Means View Post
    So, back a few years, even when X-Men kinda went off the rails because of Marvel trying to crush the property in favor of Inumans, even though I backed out of some of the X-books at the time, I still had a soft rule to keep up with the Gen X kids that remained. So, Monet, Penance, Jubes, Jono and Paige.

And during that time (and after), one thing became demonstrably and consistently clear: Jono and Jubes were in it for the long haul. Whatever random bullshit they were each individually going through, even up to and including them each being literally depowered of their mutancy, they would stick together.

So...to see Jubilee joining a UK-based team...and Jono isn't on it, seems like a profound oversight by the editors, Hickman, or some damn body.

My concern is that since they've slapped someone without any pedigree whatsoever onto Excalibur (it's basically the Gen X relaunch all over again, which was a dismal failure), we have another case of "I saw the X-Men 90s cartoon...which of those X-Men can I use? Jubilee, Gambit and Rogue? Cool, I can work with that."

I mostly don't care if the writers want to screw up 90% of the X-Men. You can BASICALLY get Gambit and Rogue and Cyclops and Jean and Wolverine and the rest right if you have a general idea about their characterization. But these B characters like Rockslide and Dust and Anole and Monet and Chamber and X23 and even Jubilee -- they rely a lot more on very small subplots. They don't always get to dig their teeth into the main storytline threads of the X-books and big marvel events. So for writers to get these characters right...they have to really, really want to give a ****. I mean, we see what happens to X23 from book to book. We see random writers just writing Jubilee as "90s Mall rat" persona. And this announcement of the lineup gave me all the feelings that all the decades of Chamber and Jubilee friendship building is basically being tossed for "I watched the X-Men cartoon when I was a kid!"
    In theory if they don't get rid of the portals we saw all mutants should just be a good, jump and a skip away from seeing whichever other mutant they want as long as they aren't on a mission. Could be why teleporters don't seem to be at the forefront. That or nightcrawler could be working as the head of the teleportation team.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Jubilee is alive and Chamber is alive. I think we can call that a win. Hickman like Gen X, This is the first time in a long time there is hope that Skin or Synch might come and we will see a real Gen X reunion. Anyways Jubilee and Chamber are alive someone can pick up the plot point

I get what you’re saying and I liked that Gen X relaunch, but the couple was thrown together haphazardly and mostly of a result of self-insert/comic book crush writing. They should definitely be friends, but they’ve never really hinted at anything romantic until a writer with a crush on Chamber came along.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I get what you’re saying and I liked that Gen X relaunch, but the couple was thrown together haphazardly and mostly of a result of self-insert/comic book crush writing. They should definitely be friends, but they’ve never really hinted at anything romantic until a writer with a crush on Chamber came along.
    Are we assuming Chris Sims and Chad Bowers also had crushes on Jono, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Are we assuming Chris Sims and Chad Bowers also had crushes on Jono, then?
    Yeah, probably. Oh wait, did they also do the JonoJubes thing in ‘92? Who doesn’t have a crush on him?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

It's understandable the frustration, but majority of the new pairings weren't taken seriously & none of them are sharing books. JonoLee is just another part of the thinning.

JonoLee
    Cronet
    Domino x Warpath
    RoguePool
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-23-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    It's understandable the frustration, but majority of the new pairings weren't taken seriously & none of them are sharing books. JonoLee is just another part of the thinning.
    But it's not really new. Their friendship was solidified when they formed the terrorist version of The New Warriors when they were both depowered. During that time they basically made an oath to never separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post

JonoLee
    Cronet
    Domino x Warpath
    RoguePool
    Bling!/Mercury
    Domilossus
    Hellion/Shark Girl
    LoganOroro
    Nature Girl/Eye Boy (my personal OTP. slicknick & tycon rights!)

We can't really guess their status based on just some covers, though? We don't really even know If Excalibur is UK based after all. Rictor is also on the Excalibur cover but that doesn't exactly mean he's separated from Shatterstar either

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Means View Post
    But it's not really new. Their friendship was solidified when they formed the terrorist version of The New Warriors when they were both depowered. During that time they basically made an oath to never separate.
    I love Jubilee and Jono, and even enjoy them together, but that isn't anything that happened, or the way they've conducted themselves. They haven't been anything resembling inseparable since they were New Warriors.

After their time in NW Jubilee was in the X-Men book with Victor Gischler writing and her vampire origin, and then on Brian Wood's all-ladies X-Men title, all without Jono. They separated for a long time until the recent Generation X series.

I don’t think it is a UK based team. Especially considering the team has majority Americans. I think the only two non Americans are Betsy and Apocalypse. I think they stole the name.

Honestly, I did not like the Gen X relaunch. The writer aged up Shogo, but nobody else for some strange reason. And that didn’t stick. It’s obvious she had a specific story she wanted tell. I don’t think that story actually fit anywhere. The only thing that really stuck was that Monet became herself again. Though it was kind of nice to see Jono and Jubilee get together, I never expected it to last. Too many people want to use Jubilee. Just Jubilee. And I think it’s ridiculous to expect them both to always be in a team together.

Synch better come back to life 'cus he and Jubes are my OTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    I don’t think it is a UK based team. Especially considering the team has majority Americans. I think the only two non Americans are Betsy and Apocalypse. I think they stole the name.

Honestly, I did not like the Gen X relaunch. The writer aged up Shogo, but nobody else for some strange reason. And that didn’t stick. It’s obvious she had a specific story she wanted tell. I don’t think that story actually fit anywhere. The only thing that really stuck was that Monet became herself again. Though it was kind of nice to see Jono and Jubilee get together, I never expected it to last. Too many people want to use Jubilee. Just Jubilee. And I think it’s ridiculous to expect them both to always be in a team together.
    the original team was primarily made up of Americans too despite being UK based