Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest, I don't really see what Cassie gets out of a pregnancy storyline.
    I agree. But, I'm just treating the thread as though she were, even though I don't find it the most likely circumstance.

The idea of Cassie being pregnant... is just dumb. Superheroes are meant to be role models. Getting up the duff when still at school does not a positive role model make.

I actually expected this thread to be about Donna. It would make a lot more sense for her, a young adult.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I actually expected this thread to be about Donna.
    That was my first thought, but then I thought of how DC killed off her last baby. And that it isn't her code name anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The idea of Cassie being pregnant... is just dumb. Superheroes are meant to be role models. Getting up the duff when still at school does not a positive role model make.

I actually expected this thread to be about Donna. It would make a lot more sense for her, a young adult.
    Depends on your morals. And whether you condone it or not, most teenagers have sex. I see nothing wrong with exploring what happens when they get more out of it than they planned. And that's assuming Cass was a willing participant; if this happened without her knowledge (acts of gods and all that) it's not like she did anything wrong, even by the most prudish of definitions. Many of the best comics in history have dealt with real world issues, and teen pregnancy is certainly one of them. Conceptually I see no problem with exploring the idea. The execution of course, is what would truly matter.

Assuming, of course, that this is actually the case and Cass is knocked up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Depends on your morals. And whether you condone it or not, most teenagers have sex. I see nothing wrong with exploring what happens when they get more out of it than they planned. And that's assuming Cass was a willing participant; if this happened without her knowledge (acts of gods and all that) it's not like she did anything wrong, even by the most prudish of definitions. Many of the best comics in history have dealt with real world issues, and teen pregnancy is certainly one of them. Conceptually I see no problem with exploring the idea. The execution of course, is what would truly matter.

Assuming, of course, that this is actually the case and Cass is knocked up.
    Agreed. Not everyone is perfect and superheroes don’t have to be either. Real world issues make for compelling stories.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Agreed. Not everyone is perfect and superheroes don’t have to be either. Real world issues make for compelling stories.
    If they aren't treated life after-school specials. I felt Steph's pregnancy crossed that line a couple times, though not always. Also, if they don't make the characters look like idiots (or otherwise out of character) to further the plot (not a lot of faith on that with Bendis, given his Lois Lane).

For the record, I don't think Cass should be pregnant at this time. I don't think the character is in a place for it (as far I know, only appearing regularly in one team comic). Plus, if the there's any sort of reboot coming up, it's likely to go bye-bye and feel like a waste. Of course, could just be a memory change thing, like everyone else has.

Sadly, for a long while Steph's child wasn't referenced (I think I was told it wasn't allowed in Batgirl at least at some point, but am unsure if true). Times have changed, but if the same happened with Cassie, that would be a drag.

BTW, has Cassie's background/memories changed since Rebirth came along?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-26-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

That’s just flat out not true anymore. Most superheroes are meant to be vehicles of soap opera dramatics for young adults, not role models for little Billy and Jane. Ever since Spider-Man popularized the “flawed hero” archetype, Superheroes no longer are expected to be perfect role models.

And that’s really a return to form. Superheroes were meant to be entertaining, and it was only after the Comic Code kicked in that superheroes got neutered before Stan Lee said **** it over at Marvel and started ignoring the Code, which caused DC to allow stuff like the iconic GL/GA O’Neil team up.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-26-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s just flat out not true anymore. Most superheroes are meant to be vehicles of soap opera dramatics for young adults, not role models for little Billy and Jane. Ever since Spider-Man popularized the “flawed hero” archetype, Superheroes no longer are expected to be perfect role models.
    Sadly, they are no longer even expected to be decent people, it seems. Not a comment on teen pregnancy at all. More on the abusive Batdad, Batjerk in general, the brainwashing done (sometime retconned, as Identity Crisis, sometimes not), the Teen Titans recent prison, Sanctuary as described, etc. Some of them I don't even think qualify for the title of "hero" anymore if you accept all those events as having happened. At least Identity Crisis was erased.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-26-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    BTW, has Cassie's background/memories changed since Rebirth came along?
    I don't think she has a criminal record anymore, at the very least...

I don't think she has a criminal record anymore, at the very least...
    That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I think it's not inspirational when there is nothing bad happening in the story. Being inspirational comes from overcoming problems. Even if they're other people's problems. But it's still not inspirational unless YOU solve the problem.

Getting pregnant isn't fundamentally a bad thing. It's a normal part of life. Also has her age been canonically established? I mean, one can make guesses based on how she's been drawn, but if I was to guess based on this piece of art....
    Wonder_Girl_Prime_Earth_0006.jpg
    Early 20s... maybe 19, but probably not. A woman between 18 and 25 getting pregnant isn't scandalous in and of itself. Unless you're married to someone other than the guy who got you pregnant or something....

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I think it's not inspirational when there is nothing bad happening in the story. Being inspirational comes from overcoming problems. Even if they're other people's problems. But it's still not inspirational unless YOU solve the problem.

Getting pregnant isn't fundamentally a bad thing. It's a normal part of life. Also has her age been canonically established? I mean, one can make guesses based on how she's been drawn, but if I was to guess based on this piece of art....
    Wonder_Girl_Prime_Earth_0006.jpg
    Early 20s... maybe 19, but probably not. A woman between 18 and 25 getting pregnant isn't scandalous in and of itself. Unless you're married to someone other than the guy who got you pregnant or something....
    I believe she's looking for colleges so she's probably 18-19. I think that's the same for the other YJ4 aside from Bart.

I believe she's looking for colleges so she's probably 18-19. I think that's the same for the other YJ4 aside from Bart.
    The art in Young Justice really doesn't accurately show the ages for these characters. It's got a very childish design to them. You'd think Cass was 14 in that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    For the record, I don't think Cass should be pregnant at this time. I don't think the character is in a place for it
    I agree. We *just* got Cass back, and really we haven't seen her since 2011 (the New52 version being best left forgotten, or at least underplayed so much it amounts to the same thing). Before a pregnancy storyline can have any weight behind it we need to get acquainted with Cass again, learn who she is and what she wants and what her struggles are and what her life is like. Otherwise the subplot of having a baby and how that affects her won't have any real meat to it. And this is the kind of narrative you really gotta handle well, it's far too easy to churn out a bad story like this, while it's much harder to make it actually work.

But the thread is exploring the "what if" of it, so that's how I'm trying to look at it. Not whether its a good idea or if its the right time, just whether it could be true and what that might entail.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I agree. We *just* got Cass back, and really we haven't seen her since 2011 (the New52 version being best left forgotten, or at least underplayed so much it amounts to the same thing). Before a pregnancy storyline can have any weight behind it we need to get acquainted with Cass again, learn who she is and what she wants and what her struggles are and what her life is like. Otherwise the subplot of having a baby and how that affects her won't have any real meat to it. And this is the kind of narrative you really gotta handle well, it's far too easy to churn out a bad story like this, while it's much harder to make it actually work.
    And with how decompressed Bendis' writing is, on-top of it being a team book, he'd need a lot of issue and page space to devote to it the time and big deal that kind of storyline would necessitate.