Default The Original Golden Age Star Sapphire

Sorry, Carol Ferris, but you weren't the first!

First appearance: All-Flash #32 (December 1947/January 1948)

NOTE: These pages were apparently from the reprint of this story in Flash Annual #1 (Summer 1963).

Boisterously Confused

Wow! I had no idea!

Retired

Not only was that Star Sapphire story reprinted in FLASH ANNUAL No. 1 (1963) but that ANNUAL itself was reprinted again in 2001 (I have both, but not the original ALL-FLASH 32 comic).

Star Sapphire Golden.jpg
    She also makes her final appearance in Flash/Green Lantern: the Brave and the Bold (1999) by Mark Waid in issue #6.

It looks like her second (and final?) appearance during the Golden Age was in Comic Cavalcade #29 (October-November 1948):

In Green Lantern #16 (October 1962), the Carol Ferris version was introduced.

I remember some old stories with the original look Star Sapphire. But I much prefer the '70's version pictured above.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I remember some old stories with the original look Star Sapphire. But I much prefer the '70's version pictured above.
    "Original look Star Sapphire"? " '70's version pictured above"?

The cover image that was posted of Carol Ferris is from her first appearance in 1962.

As for Golden Age Star Sapphire (not Carol Ferris), as far as I'm aware, only one of her two Golden Age stories was reprinted, and that was in Flash Annual #1 in 1963.

Wow. It seems I cannot ever make a comment in your threads that is correct to you. Here we go:

"Original look Star Sapphire" with the purple and yellow costume.

"'70's version" whether the Sapphire Queen or Carol, wears mostly pink costume with purple gloves and accents of white.

Retired

Gil Kane drew Carol Ferris as Star Sapphire in the 1960s.

But the image that has perhaps become the most popular is Nick Cardy's from the 1970s.

Wow. It seems I cannot ever make a comment in your threads that is correct to you. Here we go:

"Original look Star Sapphire" with the purple and yellow costume.

"'70's version" whether the Sapphire Queen or Carol, wears mostly pink costume with purple gloves and accents of white.
    But I'm still confused by what you're saying. How / where did you
    I remember some old stories with the original look Star Sapphire.
    if she was only in two stories back in the Golden Age, and AFAIK, only one of those two stories was reprinted (one time in a 1963 Flash Annual)? Did you have access to those two old Golden Age comic books from 1948 that she appeared in?

Retired

The look of the original Star Sapphire has something in common with the Public Enemies No. 1 & No. 2, from "Beware of--Poison Ivy," in BATMAN 181 (June 1966)--Dragon Fly and Silken Spider.

Robert Kanigher was responsible for all three dangerous ladies. However, as writer, I'm not sure how much input he had in their design. Star Sapphire was drawn by Lee Elias, whereas those Public Enemies were drawn by Sheldon Moldoff.

In 1976, Deborah Darnell stole the gem from Carol Ferris and became the new Star Sapphire in SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It looks like her second (and final?) appearance during the Golden Age was in Comic Cavalcade #29 (October-November 1948):

In Green Lantern #16 (October 1962), the Carol Ferris version was introduced.
    By the way, if anybody wishes to discuss the Carol Ferris version of Star Sapphire,
    Silver Age (and beyond) Star Sapphire (Carol Ferris) Appreciation
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...)-Appreciation