Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diana and Steve

Mighty Member

Default Diana and Steve

I feel like he is her Lois Lane. They deserve to be together. I'm surprised that DC don't put them together and get married already or at least a couple in the comics. Not saying she needs to be barefoot and pregnant after that, still a crimefighter, but comes home to Steve at night. She's had a connection with Steve Trevor since the beginning, and I enjoy reading issues when he appears.

They’re one of my favorite comicbook couples, too!

Some Steve is just either too boring or just can't help Diana. I see it being a small fix. Like Diana teaching Steve about magic. Steve there for should be more of the people others go to.

He's kinda meh to me. Nemesis was better.

I liked their dynamic in DC Bombshells but that's probably because it was more normal than special.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Some Steve is just either too boring or just can't help Diana. I see it being a small fix. Like Diana teaching Steve about magic. Steve there for should be more of the people others go to.
    Couldn't the same argument be made for Lois? And yet people love that coupling too. Steve is a capable fighter. He started in the army so he at least knows hand to hand combat and can help in that regard. But yeah teaching him magic would be cool. I just think they've got good chemistry together, this beautiful Amazon and this guy has her heart. Call me a romantic but I hope that they do find a way back to each other.

I love them together and think it'll take another writer that really loves him too and sees his potential to create some really good stories with them together.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I feel like he is her Lois Lane. They deserve to be together. I'm surprised that DC don't put them together and get married already or at least a couple in the comics. Not saying she needs to be barefoot and pregnant after that, still a crimefighter, but comes home to Steve at night. She's had a connection with Steve Trevor since the beginning, and I enjoy reading issues when he appears.
    I agree with you. I love a good, stable romance. Alas, comic couples all too often aren't allowed that stability. Diana, as a character, suffers from a lack of supporting cast a lot. And love interest is an easy supporting cast member. Seen great stuff with married couples in other titles. And I like Steve as a character in recent years, too, not just as a love interest.

I don't know that I'd go with marriage rather than long-term cohabitation. I've been on record as saying I don't really think Amazons should think in terms of marriage or perceive it as having the same emotional value or weight as a statement (of love or intent of forever or whatnot) as humans in the western world do.

Though I guess audience perception matters, too, and they're likely to put more weight on marriage.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-26-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I agree with you. I love a good, stable romance. Alas, comic couples all too often aren't allowed that stability....
    This is due to the mindset common among comic book writers that relationship stability equals unending happiness which in turn equals ineffectiveness as a superhero. In their view, a superhero can only be an effective crimefighter if they are more often than not miserable. A narrow vision if ever there was one but alas they hold it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm not as invested in the Diana and Steve relationship but he can be well written.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm not as invested in the Diana and Steve relationship but he can be well written.
    I tend to agree with you.

I prefer Diana be with Superman or Batman in AUs (because there is no way we'll ever see such in DC Prime), as for DC Prime how about a female love interest? My perfect world would be Wondy with Bats or Big Blue.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    This is due to the mindset common among comic book writers that relationship stability equals unending happiness which in turn equals ineffectiveness as a superhero. In their view, a superhero can only be an effective crimefighter if they are more often than not miserable. A narrow vision if ever there was one but alas they hold it.
    Absolutely true. It's not even just romance. They often go from one angsty arc directly into the next - never more than a few issues in a row where something horrible isn't either happening or being built-up to - either mass death and destruction they aren't stopping or the destruction of their personal lives. It's not that I want 100% happiness and rainbows, but I don't want unending bleakness, either. I want the heroes to enjoy be heroes, and to find it fulfilling and satisfying most of the time. Yes, sometimes it causes relationship conflict or exposes them to horrible deeds, but it's a net positive in the lives of the heroes, not just the lives of those they save. And I want heroes to succeed far more often than they fail, and to have some sweet (not just bittersweet) endings to big arcs/events, too.

Fantastic Member

That's why I have taken big break over my 40 + years of buying and reading comics!! I don't buy into that the heroes have to be miserable and that their relationships have to be destroyed!!
    I took a 10 or 11 years break after what they did to Spiderman and Mary Jane marriage and what they did to hulk's wife in the planet war story!! Just plain awful!! Maybe i'm one of the few I just don't enjoy watching people suffering, watching their lives being destroy on every levels!! I'm on a another big break!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 07-26-2019 at 08:34 AM.

I've been pondering Steve for a while and what I think they need to do is give him more things to do based on his skills, experiences, and attitude. If you ask me, he's an intelligent, all-in, empathetic, proactive kind of guy. Show all that and the issues that arise for him based on his nature or the trouble that gets him in.

One of the things I think is most interesting about Steve is that with more training he's probably got skills and abilities to be a costumed superhero, but has chosen not to despite being superhero adjacent. He's a guy who has decided to work with the systems of mere mortals to accomplish good and bring change to the world. That takes a certain kind of integrity and brass to commit to as a course of action.

To me, he's the DCU's opposite of Amanda Waller and that's a bit of how I'd develop the character.

Past that I want to see more this explored or developed with Steve:
    - Expert pilot
    - Espionage, spy, and intelligence abilities that are in the top 5% of the intelligence community in the DCU
    - His family's background/history
    - What are his relationships like with Diana's rogues gallery?
    - Do any of her foes have a particular hatred of him personally?
    - His friendship and professional working relationship with Etta
    - His relationship with Hippolyta
    - His relationship with the Amazons
    - Is he closer with or friends with any particular Amazons for any particular reasons?
    - Where's his condo at?
    - Immerse him in the ARGUS organization (assuming it comes back, post-Leviathan event) as a lead agent and leader-type within the organization, but not the leader or director of the organization on paper
    - What does Cat Grant and other tabloid reporters/gossip columnists think about "The Man Who Scored An Amazon"
    - What are Steve's relationships like with Justice League, Diana's BFFs?
    - Is he closer or friendlier to any Leaguers in particular?
    - Build relationships between Steve and Donna and Cassie
    - What does he do when he's not saving the world or being a workaholic?

If I were developing Steve, my work ahead of me would be making him into a major supporting character and not just a character whose development is solely based on his actions and reactions with and to Diana.

Fantastic Member

I tend to agree with you.

I prefer Diana be with Superman or Batman in AUs (because there is no way we'll ever see such in DC Prime), as for DC Prime how about a female love interest? My perfect world would be Wondy with Bats or Big Blue.
    I prefer Diana with superman myself!!! Never liked Diana with Batman!! But if I had to choose between Batman or Steve, i'd choose Steve over Batman or a female love interest!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 07-30-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Batman is absolutely awful in every way in every medium its ever been tried. Maybe in a different era when the character was more light-hearted and there weren't so many fanboys in the actual company catering to his every whim there could have been some charm to it, but during the time which it started to become a thing it was just an awful match that's always served to only really hurt Diana's individual characterization (yes, I do like Superman and Wonder Woman but I do not feel that's a double standard because my opinion is its never characterized Diana as awfully). Steve I like, its just very under-developed. I mean, his virtual absence from her lore from over 20 years in his classic role will do that. So its not all the character and dynamic's fault. But I do feel Steve does need to be made more interesting for a greater spark. Again I like him in general concept, there just needs to be some added depth and dimension there.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-30-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El