Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diana and Steve

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I feel like he is her Lois Lane. They deserve to be together. I'm surprised that DC don't put them together and get married already or at least a couple in the comics. Not saying she needs to be barefoot and pregnant after that, still a crimefighter, but comes home to Steve at night. She's had a connection with Steve Trevor since the beginning, and I enjoy reading issues when he appears.
    I would love it if the Powers That Be did better service for Diana and Steve. I actually would like it if it Steve's "regular-ness" is part of what works for Diana. She's seen, battled with and fought against gods and monsters. She works with people who overcompensate for their human limits all day long.

I think she would want to be with someone who is comfortable and confident in their own skin. Who is good and capable with their limits, not at all bothered by it. Someone who's experienced mortality and loss and finds the joy to living. I think Rucka and Scott got most of Steve right in the Year One/The Truth storyline.

However, I think they went a little too extra with Steve in The Lies trying to make him "deserve" Diana by being too much of an action hero.

I think Steve would deserve Diana with his compassion, integrity and humanity. In some ways, I think Steve needs to move away from his military background to do this.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I've been pondering Steve for a while and what I think they need to do is give him more things to do based on his skills, experiences, and attitude. If you ask me, he's an intelligent, all-in, empathetic, proactive kind of guy. Show all that and the issues that arise for him based on his nature or the trouble that gets him in.

One of the things I think is most interesting about Steve is that with more training he's probably got skills and abilities to be a costumed superhero, but has chosen not to despite being superhero adjacent. He's a guy who has decided to work with the systems of mere mortals to accomplish good and bring change to the world. That takes a certain kind of integrity and brass to commit to as a course of action.

To me, he's the DCU's opposite of Amanda Waller and that's a bit of how I'd develop the character.

Past that I want to see more this explored or developed with Steve:
    - Expert pilot
    - Espionage, spy, and intelligence abilities that are in the top 5% of the intelligence community in the DCU
    - His family's background/history
    - What are his relationships like with Diana's rogues gallery?
    - Do any of her foes have a particular hatred of him personally?
    - His friendship and professional working relationship with Etta
    - His relationship with Hippolyta
    - His relationship with the Amazons
    - Is he closer with or friends with any particular Amazons for any particular reasons?
    - Where's his condo at?
    - Immerse him in the ARGUS organization (assuming it comes back, post-Leviathan event) as a lead agent and leader-type within the organization, but not the leader or director of the organization on paper
    - What does Cat Grant and other tabloid reporters/gossip columnists think about "The Man Who Scored An Amazon"
    - What are Steve's relationships like with Justice League, Diana's BFFs?
    - Is he closer or friendlier to any Leaguers in particular?
    - Build relationships between Steve and Donna and Cassie
    - What does he do when he's not saving the world or being a workaholic?

If I were developing Steve, my work ahead of me would be making him into a major supporting character and not just a character whose development is solely based on his actions and reactions with and to Diana.

This would be fantastic! Any writer willing to tackle these questions and develop Steve as a fully fleshed out character would get my support (even they decided to move away from what I want to see). At least it would be something.

For me, Steve is one of the several fault-lines and dubious choices made by Marston when creating WOnder Woman, which have kept her from achieving as much as Superman or Batman did. And still do, even today.

Supposedly, she is this queer icon coming from an island where only women live in perfect harmony while also being accomplished warriors, philosophers and tinkerers. And she fall helplessly in love with the first man she ever lays her eyes on, a man member of an organization (the US Army) which, as every army as a far from pristine track record when it comes to its conduct in war.

How does any of it make sense ? How do you build something great out of it if Steve doesn't end her only partner, or her last, or at the very least come to see the teachings of Diana as incompatible with him being a soldier ?

For me, the lore of Wonder Woman is full of those inconsistencies, bad choices and nauseous idea (the nature of the Amazon society is already highly problematic for me in that it promotes a wonderful image of a sexist and isolationist warrior culture, a mix which never ends well). In that regard, Steve is far from the worst thing here, but I feel he also brings nothing to Diana.

Some would say it’s become he is something new . He is something different from her culture. So it does happen when someone from a different culture falls for something or someone from a different area and place.

Astonishing Member

I always felt that Steve needed a little more texture to him. I've never really been a fan of any comic iteration of the character (and as much as I love Rucka's Lois Lane series, his portrayal of Steve leaves much to be desired), but felt that Chris Pine's version really made for an interesting dynamic.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    This would be fantastic! Any writer willing to tackle these questions and develop Steve as a fully fleshed out character would get my support (even they decided to move away from what I want to see). At least it would be something.
    I agree with you. The character desperately needs to be fleshed out in the manner WonderScott outlined in their excellent post. Kudos to WonderScott, great job.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I feel that with him and Diana hanging out whether or not they are in a relationship should gain something out of each other. I mean why can't Steve also get amazon training? Why can't he learn magic or also have access to Diana's artifacts? Like if Cheetah is there even if he can't win will still make it harder for her to get what she wants? Maybe Steve can have his own version of the lasso?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I feel that with him and Diana hanging out whether or not they are in a relationship should gain something out of each other. I mean why can't Steve also get amazon training? Why can't he learn magic or also have access to Diana's artifacts? Like if Cheetah is there even if he can't win will still make it harder for her to get what she wants? Maybe Steve can have his own version of the lasso?
    Amazonian combat training would be cool as well as gaining knowledge of Amazonian artifacts. Not really too keen on him becoming a magic user, though.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'd enjoy seeing his relationship with his family. He had a ne'er-do-well brother pre-Crisis, Diana was named after his mom post-Crisis, and he had a sister in the New 52.

Family drama helped flesh Lois out, it could do the same for Steve.

I feel that at least at first his counter with the rogues they be little him due to him being human. However, his quick thinking causing them to rethink at least him. Like I said a rather like the idea of Steve at least knowing how to use some of Diana’s magical artifacts. To give them a tough time. He might not defeat them but give them a difficult time. I mean even at least lasting 10 mins should at least impress Cheetah m. He is all scarred up but still is able to try his best

I kind of like Steve as his competent self. A subplot about him undergoing some Amazon training down the line might be interesting, but I'm of the opinion that there's a lot about him as he is that we've yet to uncover.

I'm not opposed to him picking up an mythical artifact once in a blue moon and under dire circumstances, but I think there's better characters to do the magic thing than Steve.

I mean, nobody's asking Lois Lane to go get genetically enhanced with alien DNA to be a better partner to Superman. (Besides, Lex already went there.) lol

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I've been pondering Steve for a while and what I think they need to do is give him more things to do based on his skills, experiences, and attitude. If you ask me, he's an intelligent, all-in, empathetic, proactive kind of guy. Show all that and the issues that arise for him based on his nature or the trouble that gets him in.

One of the things I think is most interesting about Steve is that with more training he's probably got skills and abilities to be a costumed superhero, but has chosen not to despite being superhero adjacent. He's a guy who has decided to work with the systems of mere mortals to accomplish good and bring change to the world. That takes a certain kind of integrity and brass to commit to as a course of action.

To me, he's the DCU's opposite of Amanda Waller and that's a bit of how I'd develop the character.

Past that I want to see more this explored or developed with Steve:
    - Espionage, spy, and intelligence abilities that are in the top 5% of the intelligence community in the DCU
    - Immerse him in the ARGUS organization (assuming it comes back, post-Leviathan event) as a lead agent and leader-type within the organization, but not the leader or director of the organization on paper
    - Is he closer or friendlier to any Leaguers in particular?
    - Build relationships between Steve and Donna and Cassie
    Not a fan of it...We already have this new Batwing guy and other guys and girls who are now super-smart, super-intelligent etc. DC dont need another guy who is like Tim Drake,Batwing,Luthor......

For ARGUS I was more the fan of having Conner Kent,Tim Drake,Cassandra Sandsmark,Bart Allen.... as leaders....

I would rather like to see a relationship between Superman and Cassie, since she is (which I still hope) the future Wife of Conner who is his cousin,little brother.. or however this relationship will play out in Rebirth..

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Not a fan of it...We already have this new Batwing guy and other guys and girls who are now super-smart, super-intelligent etc. DC dont need another guy who is like Tim Drake,Batwing,Luthor......

For ARGUS I was more the fan of having Conner Kent,Tim Drake,Cassandra Sandsmark,Bart Allen.... as leaders....

I would rather like to see a relationship between Superman and Cassie, since she is (which I still hope) the future Wife of Conner who is his cousin,little brother.. or however this relationship will play out in Rebirth..
    I don't mean that Steve becomes like Barbara Gordon or Tim Drake or Michael Holt or Lex Luthor in the brains department. I meant intelligence as in espionage and spycraft. I kind of see him like James Bond, but not nearly as Dark or brutal. Steve's the kind of bright and smart in that he's an amazing at improvisational action and reading a room and the people in it before acting. He's someone you want in your corner when you're in a tight spot and under pressure. His smarts are about reading people and situations, understanding their motives and significance, vetting their doublespeak, lies, or ambiguity, and seeing and finding paths of action forward where others may not be able to proceed them. He's not stupid by any means, but his intelligence shines through in direct action and confrontation with real-live people, not hacking info or cyber warfare, etc.

Should Steve get his own foe? I mean generally some of the love interested even have their own rivals or foes
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-18-2019 at 02:16 PM.

I'm curious generally a love internet like Steve would have his own foe also.
    Really? The non-cape love interests I can think of don't generally have powered rogues. They may have enemies, but not all do, and they are usually only pulled up for a storyline. But I am thinking of older comics, so maybe that's shifting. Lois Lane has had her own enemies for a long time, but I can't think of any big-names she could lay claim on (this is probably how I'd categorize Steve, if I had a choice). Iris West has been more action-oriented in recent years than she was initially, and I don't recall her having her own enemies in the old days. Didn't read enough of Linda Park to comment on. Sue Dibny didn't have any in the old days, either (haven't read more recent stuff). Terry Long certainly didn't have one in the 1980s. Neither did Sarah Simms or Sarah Charles. But then, those stories are nearly 40 years old now.