Page 18 of 70 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    No he's not. POC is an umbrella term for non white ppl in western predominantly white countries when discussing issues of race (at the social level, not biological) and racism. Socially, race isn't defined strictly by skin color. And there's no blue race or blue community in the MU. His skintone is a result of his mutation not an indicator of him belonging to a certain group, besides mutants which comprise plenty of white characters. Kurt also identifies as white as evidenced by him taking the appearance of a white man when using image inducer and his skin turning white when he's depowered (not sure if that ever happened in 616 but it was the case in alt universes see: XMen Forever).

On the macro level, Kurt standing as a character isn't defined by him not being white the way a character like Storm for instance is. Her treatment by writers going back to Claremont, for better or worse, all the way to nowadays, definitely for worse, has been colored by her being a black woman and the way these writers view black people. That also applies to the way fandom treats her. Kurt dont face these barriers bc blue ppl don't exist irl so writers and fans opinions of him won't be impacted by their bias towards this imaginary group. That doesn't invalidate you relating to him. That's what an allegory is for but that's not representation.

just curious but how it is for worse that she is identified as being a black woman?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Within the 616 universe, Kurt is a minority.

In our universe, he is not and is not a representation of anything. He doesn't count as diverse, just like Cyclops is just a WASP.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    just curious but how it is for worse that she is identified as being a black woman?
    I meant writers have been neglecting and writing her badly bc she's black. She'd be Marvel Wonder Woman if she was white.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Which women/person of color had the potential to be omega level, based on their power and feats in the past? I'm curious to see what Hickman missed.
    They would have to actually have to be created, written well, and used in stories for us to even know.

BANNED

No he's not. POC is an umbrella term for non white ppl in western predominantly white countries when discussing issues of race (at the social level, not biological) and racism. Socially, race isn't defined strictly by skin color. And there's no blue race or blue community in the MU. His skintone is a result of his mutation not an indicator of him belonging to a certain group, besides mutants which comprise plenty of white characters. Kurt also identifies as white as evidenced by him taking the appearance of a white man when using image inducer and his skin turning white when he's depowered (not sure if that ever happened in 616 but it was the case in alt universes see: XMen Forever).

On the macro level, Kurt standing as a character isn't defined by him not being white the way a character like Storm for instance is. Her treatment by writers going back to Claremont, for better or worse, all the way to nowadays, definitely for worse, has been colored by her being a black woman and the way these writers view black people. That also applies to the way fandom treats her. Kurt dont face these barriers bc blue ppl don't exist irl so writers and fans opinions of him won't be impacted by their bias towards this imaginary group. That doesn't invalidate you relating to him. That's what an allegory is for but that's not representation.
    I appreciate you explaining the difference between Nightcrawler showing up as opposed to Bishop, Manifold, or Gentle. Seems like pretty should logic.

I love how everyone says that Nightcrawler would be white without his mutation (DNA removal or manipulation) when ethnicity is DNA based lol. As a black man, I could become white with DNA manipulation. Do y'all not understand how ironic your argument is? Do y'all sincerely believe that Nightcrawler doesn't get judge for his skin color (go read GLMK) because without his mutation he's white? Common. Its a metaphor where any person of color can relate to Nightcrawler because of the situation he's in.

The point is, Nightcrawler has a mutation and he's blue. He's a minority because he's a mutant. There's no ''blue community'' because there's a mutant community which is regrouping most of mutant kind.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I meant writers have been neglecting and writing her badly bc she's black. She'd be Marvel Wonder Woman if she was white.
    ok got it thank you. and agreed.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I love how everyone says that Nightcrawler would be white without his mutation (DNA removal or manipulation) when ethnicity is DNA based lol. As a black man, I could become white with DNA manipulation. Do y'all not understand how ironic your argument is? Do y'all sincerely believe that Nightcrawler doesn't get judge for his skin color (go read GLMK) because without his mutation he's blue? Common.

The point is, Nightcrawler has a mutation and he's blue. He's a minority because he's a mutant. There's no ''blue community'' because there's a mutant community which is regrouping most of mutant kind.
    People are saying that bc we have seen it. There is canonical evidence to support it. See my scan from above

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Within the 616 universe, Kurt is a minority.
    And what minority group does he belong to?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    They would have to actually have to be created, written well, and used in stories for us to even know.
    And since Hickman don't believe in creating ocs, our best hope is that he decides to elevate some of the existing characters. Which judging from his past runs and the roster of XMen #1. Long shot.

I love how everyone says that Nightcrawler would be white without his mutation (DNA removal or manipulation) when ethnicity is DNA based lol. As a black man, I could become white with DNA manipulation. Do y'all not understand how ironic your argument is? Do y'all sincerely believe that Nightcrawler doesn't get judge for his skin color (go read GLMK) because without his mutation he's white? Common. Its a metaphor where any person of color can relate to Nightcrawler because of the situation he's in.

You're saying that as if being white was the default setting and there was a black or arab or hispanic gene. Spoiler alert there isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I prefer a definition about destructiveness, for example, omega level mutants would be the ones that can destroy earth, or destroy life on earth, unaided, without any enhancement. Maximum level threats.
    That would include reality manipulators like Legion when he orginally created the AoA reality, or Iceman who can freeze the whole planet ending life on earth, or Xorn who can destroy earth with a black hole in less than 2 minutes.

I always thought Jean was stronger as a telekinetic than as a telepath. I am pretty sure that has always been the case until Bendis brought her back as teen Jean. I remember Exodus beating her easily a couple of times in the 90s with mind blasts, Xavier attacking her in the Phoenix Saga as Phoenix host and having some effect, and Morrison having her levitate forks and silverware, making it so she could even feel Xavier touching a spoon, as proof of manifestation of the Phoenix. Later in Here Comes Tomorrow, she rearranges the universe moving billions of billions of billions of atoms telekinetically, cutting away a bad future. Cassandra Nova was also a stronger telepath than Jean in Morrison's run. And Cassandra refered to the mind of Charles as the strongest one in the universe.
    I dont have a problem with Jean getting power level wank, her problem is the person who brought her back is Bendis, and he is the person who cares the least about continuity, so we have some stuff that contradicts old stuff, and we have to go with it now, because it seems Hickman gave us the official definition of Omega Level mutant to end all arguments.

Exodus does have iirc one of the most impressive showings of telekinesis, he crushed a whole island with telekinesis (I think it was Genosha) and only Hulk prevented everybody from dying, as if a mountain range had fallen over him, and Exodus also repaired the brain of Charles after he was shot by Bishop, only with his telekinesis.
    Jean can be a stronger telekinetic than she is a telepath and still not be the omega level telekinetic. They aren’t mutually exclusive
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

And since Hickman don't believe in creating ocs, our best hope is that he decides to elevate some of the existing characters. Which judging from his past runs and the roster of XMen #1. Long shot.

You're saying that as if being white was the default setting and there was a black or arab or hispanic gene. Spoiler alert there isn't.
    Mutants.

What? First of all, I never said white was the default setting nor did I said there was a black/arab/hispanic gene. I said that with DNA manipulation, your ethnicity can change. Please don't manipulate what I said. I have masters in Forensic DNA... Inform yourself before commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    People are saying that bc we have seen it. There is canonical evidence to support it. See my scan from above
    I know he's white without his mutation. I argue the fact that he's 99% of the time blue, therefore it doesn't matter because he's getting oppressed all the time (see GLMK). Like I said previously, do you think people stop oppressing him because he's white when he's not a mutant? Which never really happen.
    Last edited by Magneto; 07-24-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Mutant with physical alterations. As I said, it is not something that exists in our reality so it does not count as diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think its bc historically it doesnt seem right. Most of her most powerful and impressive feats are with TK, not TP. TK is the power she's had the longest and has had the most experience with. Flying through hyperspace, rearranging molecules, performing surgery in Storm's brain to remove a nannite, etc....thats all TK. Meanwhile with her TP, they always find away to make her ineffective by making her threats TP resistant. If Hickman is going to redefine her power classification then he better showcase why she is an omega level telepath. Her TP not working on people isnt going to fly any more
    See my recent post.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

What? First of all, I never said white was the default setting nor did I said there was a black/arab/hispanic gene. I said that with DNA manipulation, your ethnicity can change. Please don't manipulate what I said. I have masters in Forensic DNA... Inform yourself before commenting.
    And the XGene has nothing to do with his ethnicity.

I debate that many humans surpass Forge.