Page 19 of 70 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Only part I found really weird is Hickman went out of his way to redine Omega as being the "highest upper limits" of a specific mutant ability only to list both Jean and Quentin as Omega-level telepaths. Shouldn't, by that definition, only one of them technically be Omega level then?
    I agree with this- that’s why we must conclude that Hickman considers them exactly tied in terms of telepathy. That’s the only explanation that satisfies the rules he made.

Either that ore more clarification is needed
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    And the XGene has nothing to do with his ethnicity.
    But it has everything to do with his skin color and the oppression he's getting. What's your point? DNA manipulation is DNA manipulation. It doesn't matter if its the X-genes or other genes regarding your ethnicity. If you can say that someone could be white without the x-gene (mutation), I can tell you that another person can be white without another gene. Its basic logic.

This discussion is a good representation of what the X-Men discussed in a story I cannot remember where they talked about visible mutation vs invisible mutation and the differences in the oppression they were getting.
    Last edited by Magneto; 07-24-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    I love how everyone says that Nightcrawler would be white without his mutation (DNA removal or manipulation) when ethnicity is DNA based lol. As a black man, I could become white with DNA manipulation. Do y'all not understand how ironic your argument is? Do y'all sincerely believe that Nightcrawler doesn't get judge for his skin color (go read GLMK) because without his mutation he's white? Common. Its a metaphor where any person of color can relate to Nightcrawler because of the situation he's in.

The point is, Nightcrawler has a mutation and he's blue. He's a minority because he's a mutant. There's no ''blue community'' because there's a mutant community which is regrouping most of mutant kind.

Yes Nightcrawler is a minority because he’s a mutant. Not because he’s a POC.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Yes Nightcrawler is a minority because he’s a mutant. Not because he’s a POC.
    But that makes him a person of color because he has a visible mutation instead of an invisible mutation. Go read GLMK and tell me otherwise.

Anyway we are way off-topic. If y'all really want to discuss the implication of DNA manipulation, ethnicity and mutation, I'll be happy to discuss in private messages or in another appropriate topic. I got plenty of scientific article regarding this subject. This isn't really the place.
    Last edited by Magneto; 07-24-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    The power type can only be considered omega if it has not surpassed by humans. So that leaves very few power types.

I think the fact that Rachel, X-Man, Cable, Stryfe, MJJ, Molecule Man aren't there kind of hints to it being one per powerset. But I'm sure it'll be elaborated on later
    there are a few human telepaths, Dr Strange, Dr Druid or Madame Web (I think that was her name)
    if they had surpassed Jean and Quentin in the same way Reed Richards and Tony Stark surpassed Forge, Jean and Quentin wouldnt be Omega Level mutants.

Mighty Member

Mutants.

What? First of all, I never said white was the default setting nor did I said there was a black/arab/hispanic gene. I said that with DNA manipulation, your ethnicity can change. Please don't manipulate what I said. I have masters in Forensic DNA... Inform yourself before commenting.

I know he's white without his mutation. I argue the fact that he's 99% of the time blue, therefore it doesn't matter because he's getting oppressed all the time (see GLMK). Like I said previously, do you think people stop oppressing him because he's white when he's not a mutant? Which never really happen.
    What is your definition of ethnicity?

BANNED

The confusion here is that poc =/= nonwhite skin. Light skinned blue eyed middle easterners r poc. So are albino black ppl. Rachel Dolezal=not a poc.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    there are a few human telepaths, Dr Strange, Dr Druid or Madame Web (I think that was her name)
    if they had surpassed Jean and Quentin in the same way Reed Richards and Tony Stark surpassed Forge, Jean and Quentin wouldnt be Omega Level mutants.
    Thor has weather manipulation more powerful than Storm and she remains omega. Moondragon has telepathic feats as ridiculous as Quentin or Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I debate that many humans surpass Forge.
    Forge's most famous invention is a little PP gun that says no to mutants.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    The confusion here is that poc =/= nonwhite skin. Light skinned blue eyed middle easterners r poc. So are albino black ppl. Rachel Dolezal=not a poc.
    Rachel Dolezal used artificial product to appear more black. Please don't confuse the subject. There's no DNA involved in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    What is your definition of ethnicity?
    They are basically four views in the Forensic DNA field:

Ethnicity can be conceived as a primordial phenomenon, as an epiphenomenon, as asituational phenomenon or as a purely subjective phenomenon. There's a lot of dimensions regarding ethnicity. Lie I said in a previous post, It would be a pleasure to discuss this, but we are way off topic.
    Last edited by Magneto; 07-24-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    I debate that many humans surpass Forge.
    Well, yeah.

What argument did you think was being made?

BANNED

If you can say that someone could be white without the x-gene (mutation), I can tell you that another person can be white without another gene. Its basic logic.
    No because again there's no black gene.

BANNED

But that makes him a person of color because he has a visible mutation instead of an invisible mutation. Go read GLMK and tell me otherwise.

Anyway we are way off-topic. If y'all really want to discuss the implication of DNA manipulation, ethnicity and mutation, I'll be happy to discuss in private messages or in another appropriate topic. I got plenty of scientific article regarding this subject. This isn't really the place.
    You’re arguing semantics. Of course Nightcrawler is a person of color because his mutation grants him bluish-black tint. If his mutant power is nullified, he reverts to his melanin deficient state. In that way, he isn’t a POC the same way Kitty isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Thor has weather manipulation more powerful than Storm and she remains omega. Moondragon has telepathic feats as ridiculous as Quentin or Jean.
    Thor has weather “manifestion”, Ororo has weather “manipulation”. Magic vs Atmokinesis. One bends atmospheric elements within the confines of physics to suit their purpose and one jumps over them via enchanted hammer. Different but related categories, just like Legion and Hope. Legion “manifests” different powersets from personalities within his mind. Hope “manipulates” powersets within her surrounding area.
    Last edited by Ororo101; 07-24-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I agree with this- that’s why we must conclude that Hickman considers them exactly tied in terms of telepathy. That’s the only explanation that satisfies the rules he made.

Either that ore more clarification is needed
    But does he really say that? He talks about ”undefinable upper limit”, and from what I understand that means that several people with the same power can be Omega. Jean and Quentin’s telepathy has an ”undefinable upper limit” which makes them Omega, whereas Emma and Betsy’s power has a quantifiable limit.
    I don’t think that there is a ”only one person can be Omega within each power set”-rule. There is not a mantle to inherit when the top person (Omega) perishes.