Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    the human torch could kill every fire mutant by sucking all of their body heat out from their toes, and that's an objective fact
    Flameo. Flame-e-o.

Fantastic Member

the human torch could kill every fire mutant by sucking all of their body heat out from their toes, and that's an objective fact
    The human torch is probably why there are no pyrokineticists on the list but that reasoning alone is dumb because there’s no reason someone like forge should be disqualified by omega mutant status because a non-mutant can do what they can without a mutation, especially when it’s shown it isn’t just absolute unmatched in ability with multiple telepaths on it.

10charac

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    The human torch is probably why there are no pyrokineticists on the list but that reasoning alone is dumb because there’s no reason someone like forge should be disqualified by omega mutant status because a non-mutant can do what they can without a mutation, especially when it’s shown it isn’t just absolute unmatched in ability with multiple telepaths on it.
    I think people are misunderstanding, Forge 's ability isn't considered on the omega scale since it can be regularly surpassed. Omega abilities all have "undefined upper limits" if someone can pass your limits in a regular fashion is clearly defined. The human torch wouldn't keep anybody off the list if their upper level of powers where "undefined". Magma, Match, Oya, Firestar, Thunderbird, Sunspot if any their abilities had an "undefined upper limit" it would be called omega level. I think more simple understand way to put it is that Forge ability is easily measurable and omega level abilities are abilities that very hard to define the top end.

Which bring us back to Fastest man example because it just best way to understand I think. Forge ability isn't consider omega because it needs be to certain level so to speak. You wouldn't call someone someone who won 100 meters in 20 seconds the fastest man or for that matter fast. The same way while Forge is top among in his race ,He does reach the standards to be call fast. And since many people can run 100 in 20 seconds outside of that group. You can't call Forge fast.Replace Fast with Omega level and you have pretty good idea why forge ability isn't call Omega level.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-27-2019 at 09:11 PM.

BANNED

Even when thoughtfully written people still think Their favorite should be Omega.

Omega became about fanboying, a legit misunderstanding about what it means to have potential.

Your car has the potential to move but needs to be started to move. A race car has a higher potential to reach better speeds to move faster than a Toyota. But it also has the potential to crash and burn, and possibly kill the driver.

I like Toyotas, my Toyota can crash just as well as the "Omega" Racecar. But on a city street, their upper limits will never be reached.

It's not a popularity contest. Or it shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Even when thoughtfully written people still think Their favorite should be Omega.

Omega became about fanboying, a legit misunderstanding about what it means to have potential.

Your car has the potential to move but needs to be started to move. A race car has a higher potential to reach better speeds to move faster than a Toyota. But it also has the potential to crash and burn, and possibly kill the driver.

I like Toyotas, my Toyota can crash just as well as the "Omega" Racecar. But on a city street, their upper limits will never be reached.

However, mapping a scale that is by its very definition exponential and includes the infinite or transcendent, onto an analogy about cars which have a linear progression of power and are all measurable is precisely why the arguments about ‘my favourite mutant is super powerful’ are clouding the issue.

We have a story called ‘Power of Ten’ that evokes exponential growth. The writer has told us this story is about exponential growth. Exponential growth tends towards infinity. That’s an important theme of the story and Omega mutants are a key part of this theme.

The difference between Alpha and Omega is not a multiple, it’s exponential.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-28-2019 at 02:45 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Mighty Member

The biggest crime on this list is that Santa Claus is no longer an omega-level mutant.

No seriously, that was a thing in the 616 universe.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    The biggest crime on this list is that Santa Claus is no longer an omega-level mutant.

Because he would inevitably be neutral in the developing Cold War maybe he just isn’t part of Xavier’s strategy. Although maybe we should also see Santa’s take on whether or not Xavier was on the Nice list or the Naughty list. Although he better check twice.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post

Santa's too busy being a magician in, uh, The Magicians.

Now the real question is do non-omega mutants drive Toyotas.

Strange comparison if you think of the DNA. A gene in some situations could be a good thing and a liability in others circumstances.
    Why don't we have all race cars? It isn't just because buying one is expensive: it takes more space than a small car, more expensive in fuel, maintenance… It has a lot of disavantages and we don't really have any use of it.

And generally, too much power is not good news.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

When an author tries to classify things that are inherently unclassifiable, said classifications are likely to lead to a very bad story.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    If he doesnt belong, how can Jean be here? After what Stryfe did to her..Onslaught did...Exodus did..she was just a captive in all those storylines and meant nothing. If there is a Grey that transcends all potential..its of course Nate Grey.

Hasn't it been stated in multiple stories that Nate is as powerful as he is, because of Jean's genes something to the effect of her atoms are home to unlimited amounts of energy? Hence, Sinister needing to create Nate in a lab in order to ensure he was at his strongest?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

It was but she also did that with the aid of Cerebra. Jean was reaching the limits of her TP and couldnt hold Xavier's mind for much longer which is why she used Cerebra to split it up across the globe. Based on the definition, she would not be an Omega from that feat. I think dying and telekinetically creating a body for herself molecule by molecule is more impressive and she didnt have a machine to help her
    She was also suffering from toxicity in the blood stream , wasn't Jean literally dying while hosting Xavier's consciousness which made the whole thing more difficult! That and Xavier specifically mentioned afterwards that even with Cerebra what Jean did for him was impossible even for an Omega level mutant!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    But she didn't. She was the medium by which the catalysts for bringing back mutantkind were combined (The Phoenix, and Wanda's Chaos Magic).

I don't mind that because it's one of the big things that separates Jean from Emma. Jean was born with powerful abilities. Emma had to scratch, claw, and bite her way to getting her powers up to that level. That effort gave her a refined level of skill that matches just about any other telepath.

Is that true though? No, Emma didn't have a formal teacher like Jean, but her first experiences with her telepathy didn't leave her locked in a telepathic coma upon the death of a childhood friend. Besides, wasn't Astrid Bloom the expert on telepathy that Emma learned from. Before of course overpowering Bloom after an attack locking her mind and powers away, then stealing all her experiences and applications of telepathy, as well as her accent?

BANNED

so is this the objective list of omega mutants, the only ones

or are there still unknown ones out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    so is this the objective list of omega mutants, the only ones

or are there still unknown ones out there?
    The list says known mutants so there are others out there unconfirmed