Page 57 of 70 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    But Thor's divinity is pretty much magic in the Marvel Universe. It's actually pretty similar to Shaman's.
    Gods in the MU are ultimately derived from the Elder Gods, so it’s not quite the same as magic. But that’s a huge tangent. Before anyone says that this is wrong because it disqualifies Storm, technically belief shapes the ‘god stuff’ and there is nothing to say that god stuff can’t coalesce around a human or a mutant. That story hasn’t been written however.

So maybe it took human/earthly as a scale of measurement (otherwise if you open the comparison to all the Marvel Universe it gets quite tricky).
    That’s how I see the definition yes.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-11-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    "Rain comes in various forms throughout the solar system – water on Earth, methane/ethane on Titan and sulfuric acid on Venus. But did you know it also rains on the sun? Well, kind of. Huge drops of plasma – electrified gas – can drip from prominences (giant magnetic loops of gas) in the sun’s outer atmosphere, the corona, onto the scorching surface."

Are you saying Storm can manufacture this phenomenon?
    Not that this wasn't posted before.
    Attachment 85612
    Attachment 85613
    This happened as well.

Not for nothing, this happened as well.

Storm has already harnessed the power of millions upon millions of suns, stars and living planets. Anyone that like poking fun at her fans should be more than familiar with the galactic core. No? They all had atmospheres. Every single sun, star and living planet had an atmosphere. She harnessed it all. If you had a better understanding of how her power actually works and made good use of the link provided you would know that Storm is incredibly capable making it rain on the sun. Or the closest it comes to raining on the sun.

So, it's not a Storm attack or anything, but I just want to understand if I understood correctly.

If I got it right from the whole comparison between Forge and Magneto being the best at their respective powers mutant-wise but Forge not being the best on Earth, shouldn't we take Thor into account when doing the same comparison for Ororo? With weather manipulation opposed to technopaty. It's not really only about Storm, one could also take Sersi against Exodus when it comes to TK.
    It's just that I'm not sure I got it right. Is Omega "not superable" by other means that are not that specific mutant power?
    I agree with Cookie’s perspective. I don’t think its an apples to apples comparison (like maybe with weather witch or weather wizard). Thor’s magical weather powers allows him to manifest whatever he wants, which isn’t truly manipulation of the atmosphere like Storm. It is manifestation of anything he wants & where ever he wants and would have no impact on the natural balance of the forces that govern weather. Storm’s power of actual weather/atmospheric manipulation, where she has to manipulate existing forces within the atmosphere & either follow the boundaries of physics or risking the consequences/potential impacts if she exceeds them.

BANNED

Smile

OK, but can Storm make it rain on the sun?
    Imagine asking this.
    Only to receive this... https://earthsky.org/space/when-how-...n-coronal-rain
    Lol you clicked on the link only ask this...

"Rain comes in various forms throughout the solar system – water on Earth, methane/ethane on Titan and sulfuric acid on Venus. But did you know it also rains on the sun? Well, kind of. Huge drops of plasma – electrified gas – can drip from prominences (giant magnetic loops of gas) in the sun’s outer atmosphere, the corona, onto the scorching surface."

Are you saying Storm can manufacture this phenomenon?
    But somehow you completely missed this...

"Unlike water, though, plasma is an electrically-charged gas. It follows the prominences coming out from the sun’s surface, and is extremely hot – from a few thousand to over 1.8 million degrees Fahrenheit (1 million degrees Celsius). At the peak of the prominence, it condenses and then falls back down to the sun’s surface as coronal rain.

In Earth’s hydrological cycle, water evaporates on the surface and rises up into the atmosphere. It then cools and condenses into clouds, and when there is enough moisture in the clouds, it falls back to the surface as rain. Coronal rain is a somewhat similar process, but with a completely different composition of the rain itself.

As for helping to solve some of the sun’s mysteries, the coronal rain provides some clues.

Measurement of the gas in the slow solar wind – separate from the other fast-moving solar wind – indicated it had been heated to extreme degrees before cooling and escaping the sun."

"In previous theories, it was thought that coronal rain only occurred in closed loops, where the plasma heats and cools, but can’t escape into space. Mason’s work suggests, however, that the rain begins in a closed loop, but then switches – through a process called magnetic reconnection – to an open one, like a train switching tracks. Some of the plasma will then escape, but some will fall back to the surface as rain. The plasma that does escape forms part of the slow solar wind."

I'm not saying anything. I'm outright stating it as a foregone conclusion. I'm even bold enough to dare YOU to prove she can't.

So, it's not a Storm attack or anything, but I just want to understand if I understood correctly.

If I got it right from the whole comparison between Forge and Magneto being the best at their respective powers mutant-wise but Forge not being the best on Earth, shouldn't we take Thor into account when doing the same comparison for Ororo? With weather manipulation opposed to technopaty. It's not really only about Storm, one could also take Sersi against Exodus when it comes to TK.
    It's just that I'm not sure I got it right. Is Omega "not superable" by other means that are not that specific mutant power?
    Because Mjolnir was the prison for the "Mother of the Storms", we really don't know how powerful Thor's weather power is without the hammer.

I also assume Storm or Exodus ranking is based on potential..
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 08-11-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    [two huge posts]
    Sooooooooooooo... you're saying yes, Storm can make it rain on the sun?

If so, is the rain strong enough to extinguish the sun? Hmm.

Incredible Member

Hahahahhahah

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    I agree with Cookie’s perspective. I don’t think its an apples to apples comparison (like maybe with weather witch or weather wizard). Thor’s magical weather powers allows him to manifest whatever he wants, which isn’t truly manipulation of the atmosphere like Storm. It is manifestation of anything he wants & where ever he wants and would have no impact on the natural balance of the forces that govern weather. Storm’s power of actual weather/atmospheric manipulation, where she has to manipulate existing forces within the atmosphere & either follow the boundaries of physics or risking the consequences/potential impacts if she exceeds them.
    Thor does not use magic. He uses his dominion over the storm as a manifestation of the power of Atum. Writing him off like this doesn’t help anything. If anything it demonstrates the difference between Storm and a Marvel Universe God.

For the umpteenth time this omega list is not about comparisons with extra earthly entities. It is about transcending earthly scales of measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Because Mjolnir was the prison for the "Mother of the Storms", we really don't know how powerful Thor's weather power is without the hammer.
    You are seeing that backwards. Thor can wield and control Mjölnir much easier than Odin was shown to, precisely because he’s a storm god.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-12-2019 at 01:52 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You are seeing that backwards. Thor can wield and control Mjölnir much easier than Odin was shown to, precisely because he’s a storm god.
    Not really. I know Thor can control the weather without Mjolnir...but are his un-enhanced weather powers on Storm's level?
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 08-12-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Imagine asking this.
    Only to receive this... https://earthsky.org/space/when-how-...n-coronal-rain
    Lol you clicked on the link only ask this...

But somehow you completely missed this...

"Unlike water, though, plasma is an electrically-charged gas. It follows the prominences coming out from the sun’s surface, and is extremely hot – from a few thousand to over 1.8 million degrees Fahrenheit (1 million degrees Celsius). At the peak of the prominence, it condenses and then falls back down to the sun’s surface as coronal rain.

In Earth’s hydrological cycle, water evaporates on the surface and rises up into the atmosphere. It then cools and condenses into clouds, and when there is enough moisture in the clouds, it falls back to the surface as rain. Coronal rain is a somewhat similar process, but with a completely different composition of the rain itself.

As for helping to solve some of the sun’s mysteries, the coronal rain provides some clues.

Measurement of the gas in the slow solar wind – separate from the other fast-moving solar wind – indicated it had been heated to extreme degrees before cooling and escaping the sun."

"In previous theories, it was thought that coronal rain only occurred in closed loops, where the plasma heats and cools, but can’t escape into space. Mason’s work suggests, however, that the rain begins in a closed loop, but then switches – through a process called magnetic reconnection – to an open one, like a train switching tracks. Some of the plasma will then escape, but some will fall back to the surface as rain. The plasma that does escape forms part of the slow solar wind."

I'm not saying anything. I'm outright stating it as a foregone conclusion. I'm even bold enough to dare YOU to prove she can't.
    this post was epic!!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

You're fighting a lost cause, JK
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Thor does not use magic. He uses his dominion over the storm as a manifestation of the power of Atum. Writing him off like this doesn’t help anything. If anything it demonstrates the difference between Storm and a Marvel Universe God.

For the umpteenth time this omega list is not about comparisons with extra earthly entities. It is about transcending earthly scales of measurement.
    OK fine....how does that change any of the points made?

His weather manifestations isn’t manipulating what’s naturally there, where as Storm does. That’s the point of why it isn’t apples to apples. No ones writing off how he creates his manifestations but it doesn’t refute the point that he isn’t manipulating or has to adhere to the limits of nature like she does. The end.

Secondly, my post was a response to a question about a Thor comparison so.....By all means save your condescending speech about how the omega metric is defined/should be compared. Unless you tell me you’re Hickman your interpretation of how you choose to measure it isn’t any more valid than anyone else’s, so if people want to use him to discuss a point/make a comparison who are you to tell them otherwise...

Yeah but are the others capable of an omega level tantrum?

OK fine....how does that change any of the points made?

His weather manifestations isn’t manipulating what’s naturally there, where as Storm does. That’s the point of why it isn’t apples to apples. No ones writing off how he creates his manifestations but it doesn’t refute the point that he isn’t manipulating or has to adhere to the limits of nature like she does. The end.
    Repeat your assertion if you want, but he absolutely does manipulate the weather. Take for example him recently manipulating a cosmic storm in the sun to deliberately forge Mjolnir. That’s direct manipulation of the weather. You are drawing a false difference for rhetorical effect.

Unless you tell me you’re Hickman your interpretation of how you choose to measure it isn’t any more valid than anyone else’s, so if people want to use him to discuss a point/make a comparison who are you to tell them otherwise...
    Any theory has to align with what he actually wrote. He certainly didn’t write anything about being compared to mythical entities.

If we are asking the question ‘has Storm transcended her power to the point she is effectively a mythical entity’ then sure there is something to be teased out of that. Probably in a story, maybe in a separate thread. But it’s not something Hickman has touched on. He just put her in a list of Omegas. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    You're fighting a lost cause, JK
    I do have a tendency to do that.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-13-2019 at 01:42 AM.