Page 6 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I prefer a definition about destructiveness, for example, omega level mutants would be the ones that can destroy earth, or destroy life on earth, unaided, without any enhancement. Maximum level threats.
    That would include reality manipulators like Legion when he orginally created the AoA reality, or Iceman who can freeze the whole planet ending life on earth, or Xorn who can destroy earth with a black hole in less than 2 minutes.

I always thought Jean was stronger as a telekinetic than as a telepath. I am pretty sure that has always been the case until Bendis brought her back as teen Jean. I remember Exodus beating her easily a couple of times in the 90s with mind blasts, Xavier attacking her in the Phoenix Saga as Phoenix host and having some effect, and Morrison having her levitate forks and silverware, making it so she could even feel Xavier touching a spoon, as proof of manifestation of the Phoenix. Later in Here Comes Tomorrow, she rearranges the universe moving billions of billions of billions of atoms telekinetically, cutting away a bad future. Cassandra Nova was also a stronger telepath than Jean in Morrison's run. And Cassandra refered to the mind of Charles as the strongest one in the universe.
    I dont have a problem with Jean getting power level wank, her problem is the person who brought her back is Bendis, and he is the person who cares the least about continuity, so we have some stuff that contradicts old stuff, and we have to go with it now, because it seems Hickman gave us the official definition of Omega Level mutant to end all arguments.

Exodus does have iirc one of the most impressive showings of telekinesis, he crushed a whole island with telekinesis (I think it was Genosha) and only Hulk prevented everybody from dying, as if a mountain range had fallen over him, and Exodus also repaired the brain of Charles after he was shot by Bishop, only with his telekinesis.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I prefer a definition about destructiveness, for example, omega level mutants would be the ones that can destroy earth, or destroy life on earth, unaided, without any enhancement. Maximum level threats.
    That would include reality manipulators like Legion when he orginally created the AoA reality, or Iceman who can freeze the whole planet ending life on earth, or Xorn who can destroy earth with a black hole in less than 2 minutes.

I always thought Jean was stronger as a telekinetic than as a telepath. I am pretty sure that has always been the case until Bendis brought her back as teen Jean. I remember Exodus beating her easily a couple of times in the 90s with mind blasts, Xavier attacking her in the Phoenix Saga as Phoenix host and having some effect, and Morrison having her levitate forks and silverware, making it so she could even feel Xavier touching a spoon, as proof of manifestation of the Phoenix. Later in Here Comes Tomorrow, she rearranges the universe moving billions of billions of billions of atoms telekinetically, cutting away a bad future. Cassandra Nova was also a stronger telepath than Jean in Morrison's run. And Cassandra refered to the mind of Charles as the strongest one in the universe.
    I dont have a problem with Jean getting power level wank, her problem is the person who brought her back is Bendis, and he is the person who cares the least about continuity, so we have some stuff that contradicts old stuff, and we have to go with it now, because it seems Hickman gave us the official definition of Omega Level mutant to end all arguments.

Exodus does have iirc one of the most impressive showings of telekinesis, he crushed a whole island with telekinesis (I think it was Genosha) and only Hulk prevented everybody from dying, as if a mountain range had fallen over him, and Exodus also repaired the brain of Charles after he was shot by Bishop, only with his telekinesis.
    It's about a single display of power ever recorded in a specific category as long as man cant surpass it. At some point in her life Jean was able to reach across time and space and change Cyclops mind.
    She may have done that once but she has the potential to do it again
    Though the Phoenix was telekinetic godhood so I guess it's now telepathic godhood.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueisbae View Post
    Make that four powers in one--she basically has some low-level telepathy of sorts via the absorption of memories, thoughts, emotions etc, especially now when she doesn't need physical contact anymore. Basically, in certain situations, like an interrogation or something, you could replace a telepath with her and you'll still end up with the same results lmao.
    True, wasn't sure how to categorize it. I'd call it psychometry but she only reads people not objects or places. Her memory absorption can also be a negative in some ways, as someone mentioned the psych or memories can overwhelm her, but under optimal conditions or control she basically can read minds or emotions as well. This aspect of her power is probably why she can keep them unlike Hope or Synch, as well as why she picks up how to use them much quicker.

But yeah, simple looking power(s) but pretty complicated with a lot of layers lol.

It was a more useless term when every writer was claiming their favourite character was omega level. It's more meaningful now since Hickman has reduced the number of omega level mutants by more than half. The X-Men need Franklin for something, it'll probably be explained what it really means to be omega and why they are Krakoa's greatest asset.

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    It's about a single display of power ever recorded in a specific category as long as man cant surpass it. At some point in her life Jean was able to reach across time and space and change Cyclops mind.
    She may have done that once but she has the potential to do it again
    Though the Phoenix was telekinetic godhood so I guess it's now telepathic godhood.
    There was no mention of the phoenix in this issue. Jean and Quentin are omega without it.

IMO it makes more sense to say Jean is an omega level TK. Ive seen her do more impressive feats with that than TP

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Right, right.

I imagine Hickman will explore the impact of omega mutants, and having too many and/or not enough of them, too.
    Right now Omega mutants are acting as WMD for Xavier. The more he has the more threat of power he has that my interpretation. The thing missing from the list I put up from the comic was the alliances and every Omega alive except Exodus(no allegiance) and Franklin(human) are with Xavier. Mr. M, Legion and Jamie Braddock are missing.

Cassandra isn't a mutant

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    There was no mention of the phoenix in this issue. Jean and Quentin are omega without it.
    I'm sure it will be elaborate on as there's a lot of blacking out in the directors cut. As it kind of flies in the face of the definition given.

It's an outlier but there's a reason both are on the list. Possibly because they're in a dead tie based on what has been registered

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I'm sure it will be elaborate on as there's a lot of blacking out in the directors cut. As it kind of flies in the face of the definition given.

It's an outlier but there's a reason both are on the list. Possibly because they're in a dead tie based on what has been registered
    Reason both are omegas is given in the book. They both have no upper limit.

I haven't read HoX but I wonder… why do you take this Omega stuff so seriously?
    It's not Dragon Ball Z and his arms race. I hope that the plots are subtler than just a matter of raw power

The "super-powerful" mutants are either "Deus ex machina" or cosmic threats… Or both (like Phoenix). All of that has already been done.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Mighty Member

I'm really struggling to see what gives Hope the O rank and not Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Reason both are omegas is given in the book. They both have no upper limit.
    Look at the definition

Needs to be a single mutant power
    The nature of the power needs to be unquantifiable (Not technopathy but magnetism)

Both Magneto and Forge are the most powerful mutants of their power types on their planet but forge is disqualified because of the power type.

A mutant whose dominant power is deemed to register or reach an indefinable limit of that specific power classification.

Going by that you can't have two mutants sharing the same mantle unless they're in a dead tie. So there's a reason why Quentin and Jean are there and not one of her Brood

You have go satisfy all of that to be an omega it's not just one thing

Also the upper limit of Forges powerset could hypothetical ly be surpassed. So even if it can only hypothetically be surpassed that would disqualify Forge.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 07-24-2019 at 08:42 AM.

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post

It was never about destructiveness. And just because someone is classified as omega doesnt mean they cant be beat. They’re not always operating at those levels.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I appreciate Hickman finally defining what it means to be an omega mutant. Everything before was just speculative and not defined. As others have stated whatever your previous knowledge or understanding was of omega level mutants wasnt accurate and it would be best to accept the definition as described.

Also, to the Jean thing I think it goes to say she is a strong tk however she has limits to what she can do. not sure what's inherently wrong with that.

also, for years storm fans have said she is omega it's nice to see those who said we were wrong were incorrect.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!