View Poll Results: How many stars would you rate this issue?

Voters
392. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

261 66.58%
  • ★★★★

92 23.47%
  • ★★★

25 6.38%
  • ★★

4 1.02%
  • 10 2.55%
Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    In all honesty all people voting the book 5 stars are voting exactly the same way, they are giving this book 5 stars is a statement vote more than reality vote. Most people are voting 5 star because they are please not because it is "the perfect book." I don't understand how this is book that upset someone enough to give 1 stars but if you are give people flack about 1s then the fives should be look at the same standard. If we go back ask everyone if this is the single best issue of a comic they have ever read then answer well probably be no. Objectively this book should be lower but in this case 5 stars is vote of confidence by X-men fans in the concept pitch and if Hickman can stick the landing we are in for some good stuff.
    As a person that voted Five Stars myself, I voted because I see no problems with the book. The idea that perfection is elusive or doesn’t exist has always annoyed me, and the idea that a really good score has to be subjective and based entirely on emotion is equally problematic.

I can break down why I would give maximum marks to a #1. This is a shortened list because some things only apply to certain books.

On the art side I consider anything worth that mark if it displays a unified and fluid reading experience with a clear visual narrative. That requires crafted composition and a sense of visual punctuation, as well as a consistent style and approach to the subject. It can be a style I am not keen on, it can flow in challenging ways, but as long as it is consistent with the story and enhances the overall message then I can’t mark down the art.

On the story side there has to be evidence of craft. Specifically a starting issue’s job is to intrigue and draw us in. It has to create a situation and a setting and make us want to know what is going to happen next. The action needs to flow and be well paced, the points need to be delivered clearly. This includes new characters being fleshed out enough to get an insight into them and be intriguing and old characters being either recognisable and engaged in something intriguing or slightly off in ways that themselves intrigue. Any world building or exposition should be sprinkled throughout in a natural way, ideally as indirect exposition unless there is a good reason or excuse to do otherwise. Direct exposition should be easy to read and not take up undue space or attention, and it should tie back into what we are reading and enhance the story.

Now I could just go through that list and explain why this book meets those criteria, but this is where subjective elements come in. Subjectivity need not be based on intangibles like emotional reaction or notions of perfection. If one is rigorous and structured in ones critique they can go hand in hand. Subjective reactions within an objective framework.

In a nutshell this book subjectivity satisfied me in many ways that can be objectively teased out and appraised. (I couldn’t resist the Claremontian nod.)

I would like to think this kind of rigour is more common than it appears. That even if subconscious we have a number of objective questions we each ask of the text.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-28-2019 at 02:20 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Honestly, I don't see Rogue being omega level anything. I think Hope is superior in the aspect of copying mutant powers. So that makes sense.

I think a mistake that a lot of people are making is thinking that not being omega means their favorite character is second rate. This isn't true at all. Professor X himself isn't omega and yet he is renown around the world as one of the most powerful telepaths. And plenty of omega mutants haven't been shown to be invincible or OP all the time. Take Icemam for example, hes understanding of his own powers has grown by a large margin in recent years. To the point where we learned its possible he might be able to kill the whole planet by freezing it over. Thats the kind of unmeasurable limit that can't be replicated by other cyrokinesist. But just because hes omega doesn't mean I expect Iceman to win in a solo fight vs Rogue if she has the proper set of powers absorbed.

Having no measurable limit that can't be theoretically surpassed by other humans doesn't mean an omega mutant can always access the highest limits of their powers all the time. Nor does it mean that an omega mutant can't be beat by alpha level mutants even in a one on one fight. Which I imagine the vast majority of xmen fall into the alpha category.
    Last edited by Wissenschaft; 07-28-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    Honestly, I don't see Rogue being omega level anything. I think Hope is superior in the aspect of copying mutant powers. So that makes sense.

I think a mistake that a lot of people are making is thinking that not being omega means their favorite character is second rate. This isn't true at all. Professor X himself isn't omega and yet he is renown around the world as one of the most powerful telepaths. And plenty of omega mutants haven't been shown to be invincible or OP all the time. Take Icemam for example, hes understanding of his own powers has grown by a large margin in recent years. To the point where we learned its possible he might be able to kill the whole planet by freezing it over. Thats the kind of unmeasurable limit that can't be replicated by other cyrokinesist. But just because hes omega doesn't mean I expect Iceman to win in a solo fight vs Rogue if she has the proper set of powers absorbed.

Having no measurable limit that can't be theoretically surpassed by other humans doesn't mean an omega mutant can always access the highest limits of their powers all the time. Nor does it mean that an omega mutant can't be beat by alpha level mutants even in a one on one fight. Which I imagine the vast majority of xmen fall into the alpha category.
    Indeed, we have an entire thread where I have tried to express most of these points in multiple ways. The main stumbling block and most objections seem to be based on previous methods of classification which have mostly been about power levels. Whereas this list is not really about power levels.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    In all honesty all people voting the book 5 stars are voting exactly the same way, they are giving this book 5 stars is a statement vote more than reality vote. Most people are voting 5 star because they are please not because it is "the perfect book." I don't understand how this is book that upset someone enough to give 1 stars but if you are give people flack about 1s then the fives should be look at the same standard. If we go back ask everyone if this is the single best issue of a comic they have ever read then answer well probably be no. Objectively this book should be lower but in this case 5 stars is vote of confidence by X-men fans in the concept pitch and if Hickman can stick the landing we are in for some good stuff.
    So, in a scale of thumbs up or thumbs down, nothing should get thumbs up, because that leaves no room for something to be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    So, in a scale of thumbs up or thumbs down, nothing should get thumbs up, because that leaves no room for something to be better?
    Indeed there are things I would rate as perfect on their own terms. Some of them are things I don’t particularly love, just appreciate. I absolutely do not love Watchmen. I would be the first to criticise it and often have from many angles. But it’s still an example of a perfect comic. Sure it has flaws. Even Diamonds are categorised as flawless only at a specific level of magnification.

I used to ‘reluctantly’ give things perfect scores. Then I realised I was just being a perfectionist and perfection in art is often the opposite of great.

IMO this issue is perfect on its own terms. I certainly couldn’t improve it. To identify a flaw is not to criticise something, that’s the starting point of a discussion. Art’s place in our culture is partly about discussion.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-28-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Hey folks, let the why people voted the way they voted discussion die. Whether it's the people who really enjoyed HoX#1 laughably calling out those who didn't, or those who didn't enjoy HoX#1 miserably condescending to anyone that did, let it go. Discuss your own experience with the book, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

I can't remember the last time I read an issue 3 times in 3 days, AND now I'm chomping at the bit for the next issue. I only wish I hadn't seen the covers and teams in what comes after. I really don't want this to end, and knowing who's on what "team", in the aftermath sours this exceptional story for me just a little. Ah well...I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by stwaz View Post
    I can't remember the last time I read an issue 3 times in 3 days, AND now I'm chomping at the bit for the next issue. I only wish I hadn't seen the covers and teams in what comes after. I really don't want this to end, and knowing who's on what "team", in the aftermath sours this exceptional story for me just a little. Ah well...I'll enjoy the ride while it lasts.
    It’s awkward. I sympathise with Marvel. Black page ‘to be revealed’ solicitations can’t be a good idea. I tend to look ahead with as minimal eye for detail as I can. I mean, whenever we project the story months in advance we are inevitably wrong on some level anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stwaz View Post
    You're on a better place than me. I think I'm on my 8th read of this. I'm worried for my mental state.

BANNED

There's an incredible amount of good will for this issue, i can't imagine such universal acclaim will stick as we progress, but imagine if it does. I do feel like Powers will be less favoured just because it features a non present setting.
    Last edited by Punch Dimension.; 07-28-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

I'm a bit late to the party on this one but I like the comic a lot. Sure the comic was mostly set up but it was still interesting. The art work was great. I like the little graphs and extra little text that was with the book. Its cool to see the X-men and mutants not being victims anymore. That moment with Cyclops and the Fantastic Four was interesting, I'm going to assume that Franklin is going to be important in future issues. I can't wait to see where this story goes.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    There's an incredibly amount of good will for this issue, i can't imagine such universal acclaim will stick as we progress, but imagine if it does. I do feel like Powers will be less favoured just because it features a non present setting.
    This is going to be hugely divisive. Even Hickman suggested he half expects it to be controversial. But what Marvel work of his wasn’t controversial.

Loved this all the way through although Cyclops and Xavier made feel uneasy with their creepy smiles.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This is going to be hugely divisive. Even Hickman suggested he half expects it to be controversial. But what Marvel work of his wasn’t controversial.
    I'm good with controversial. The franchise can't survive more of the same.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I was rash & gave it 3 yesterday morning, but I would overall give it a 4.

Some hated it for one or more reasons.

1. Their favorite characters weren't in it or only had speechless cameos.
    2. Too much talking & info dumped.
    3. Don't like Scott's characterization
    4. Don't like Creed being with the X-Men
    5. Impatient & not getting the answers they want fast enough
    etc.

There can just be any number of reasons someone can hate anything.
    Tbf it's difficult to take most of these complaints seriously.