View Poll Results: How many stars would you rate this issue?

Voters
392. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

261 66.58%
  • ★★★★

92 23.47%
  • ★★★

25 6.38%
  • ★★

4 1.02%
  • 10 2.55%
Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I think any rankings in general are too early. Marvel's hyped this so much that almost all responses are compromised in some way by hype, and more reflective of the person ranking it than the contents of the actual issue. This applies to both the high and low ends of the spectrum.

Having these rankings is a nice baseline for future response though. I expect more accurate response will come around issues 6/7/8.

One thing I'm curious about - because I didn't keep a close enough eye on it at the time - is how people responded to Rosenberg's run when it was first coming out. I know all of the anger and backlash from moments like what happened to Wolfsbane, and unnecessary character deaths. But knowing what people thought the run would be like would be more interesting to know.
    Not really. The issue is out and people are ranking based on the issue that they've read there will be time to judge HoX/PoX after it's all said and done. But for right now people seem pretty excited about where the X-Men are headed.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Not really. The issue is out and people are ranking based on the issue that they've read there will be time to judge HoX/PoX after it's all said and done. But for right now people seem pretty excited about where the X-Men are headed.
    Agreed. Example, if you asked me to rate Pak's Weapon X, I would give it a 2 out 5. lol BUT doesn't mean I didn't give a few issues a higher score, but it takes more that a couple of issues out of a series to make the overall run good.

For now, I give HOX 1 a 4 out of 5. Subject to change upon another re-read. The next issue, I may hate something so much, I grade it as a 1.

Then once all 12 issues are out, the score for overall can be tallied with the pros & cons to give a final series grade.

I don't see anything wrong with Scott's characterization. I'm not getting the mind control vibe either

Mighty Member

I'm still wondering how they got Vulcan to coopt to anything.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with Scott's characterization. I'm not getting the mind control vibe either
    Tbh it's probably the best he's been written in a long time he came off as respectful, friendly, at ease and yet still authoritative when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I can understand the sentiment though. Despite what people think of the minivent now, Battle of the Atom was widely considered to have an excellent first issue. But Bendis (as always) botched the landing and the overall work was a dud except for some meme-ready panels. Hickman doesn't have the 'unable to finish properly' reputation that Bendis does, but I can understand some people wanting to see more before rendering a judgement. Additionally, there was some praise for the first issue or so of Rosenberg's (thankfully finished) run, yet almost nobody likes it now.

Basically, it seems like a very good setup issue, but only time will tell if the whole is as good as the beginning.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I can understand the sentiment though. Despite what people think of the minivent now, Battle of the Atom was widely considered to have an excellent first issue. But Bendis (as always) botched the landing and the overall work was a dud except for some meme-ready panels. Hickman doesn't have the 'unable to finish properly' reputation that Bendis does, but I can understand some people wanting to see more before rendering a judgement. Additionally, there was some praise for the first issue or so of Rosenberg's (thankfully finished) run, yet almost nobody likes it now.

Basically, it seems like a very good setup issue, but only time will tell if the whole is as good as the beginning.
    And that completely valid people can do both. Personally I like to judge the story on a issue by issue basis then go back read the entire thing through to see how it ranks as a continuous narrative.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    People really gave this one or two stars?

How can you feel negative about this issue?
    What about “The Krakoa habitat is just another Utopia expect that this time it’s more greenish and organic. I don’t see anything refreshing yet.” And for the record, every mutant nation by far fell miserably at the end. I can’t see how this time it will end differently.

Fantastic Member

Some people are always unhappy with anything, but you can be damn sure they're gonna keep hate-reading the X-books and telling us all about it.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

By being a bore.
    "Cable was right!"

It's really like judging the whole of a tv season on the first episode. Amazing to me that people still do this with comic books knowing full well in 6 issues everything usually gets thrown on its head esp when it comes to Hickman.

I get not getting on the "glowing praise" train... but people need to seriously get over that _____ isn't in the issue or that everything isn't carefully laid out in front of them in 20 pages. Hell, even if you don't like the vibe, the Director's Cut is an X-Fan deep dive orgasm of information that should carry you through at least to POX #1.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    It's really like judging the whole of a tv season on the first episode. Amazing to me that people still do this with comic books knowing full well in 6 issues everything usually gets thrown on its head esp when it comes to Hickman.

I get not getting on the "glowing praise" train... but people need to seriously get over that _____ isn't in the issue or that everything isn't carefully laid out in front of them in 20 pages. Hell, even if you don't like the vibe, the Director's Cut is an X-Fan deep dive orgasm of information that should carry you through at least to POX #1.
    B..b..b..ut it doesn't have MY FAVORITE CHARACTER DOING STUFF! NO X-BOOK IS GOOD WITHOUT ANOLE, MAGGOT AND TRINARY!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I was rash & gave it 3 yesterday morning, but I would overall give it a 4.

Some hated it for one or more reasons.

1. Their favorite characters weren't in it or only had speechless cameos.
    2. Too much talking & info dumped.
    3. Don't like Scott's characterization
    4. Don't like Creed being with the X-Men
    5. Impatient & not getting the answers they want fast enough
    etc.

There can just be any number of reasons someone can hate anything.
    Welcome to Hickman. His FF started off with random one-parters before things picked up.
    "Cable was right!"

Finally got around to reading this.

Wow. Magneto really needs his skull kicked in.