Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    I may be biased considering I read it when it was published, but I still view it as one of the best Titans stories of all time. It was sad without being cynical, and your heart broke for Gar. Plus, it is the story that gave us Nightwing, Jericho, and origin of Deathstroke.

I actually wish they would have stuck with the less-than-moral mercenary Deathstroke instead of the villainous, overpowered Deathstroke. He started out as the former, and I always inferred from his origin that the government experiment that gave him his powers may have affected his mind somewhat.

The apparent sexual relationship between Slade & Tara was more surprising than shocking. Amoral people do amoral things. Tara's personality and powers leave little doubt that she was a willing partner, even given her age. There was no intimation at the time that she was being controlled or manipulated by Slade. Used, yes, but she was using him too.
    Slade was depicted as villainous from the beginning, when Perez was involved in the writing for the book. He became "less than moral" when Wolfman got full control of the book's plot.

No one is ever going to buy that a teenager is a willing partner in a sexual relationship when her "partner" is a grown ass man. She even stated that she thought Slade loved her.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Slade was depicted as villainous from the beginning, when Perez was involved in the writing for the book. He became "less than moral" when Wolfman got full control of the book's plot.

No one is ever going to buy that a teenager is a willing partner in a sexual relationship when her "partner" is a grown ass man. She even stated that she thought Slade loved her.
    yes, she goes off the rails as soon as she thinks Slade betrayed her.

It'd be easier to accept Terra as a terrible person if the narrative treated them equally, but it bends over backwards for Slade when he doesn't remotely deserve it. it's not surprising that we got stuff like the cartoon in recent years as a result.

I love Judas Contract. I don't think knowing what happens effects the enjoyment of the story. Terra's betrayal, Dick's transition to Nightwing, there is a ton of awesome stuff in here.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I love Judas Contract. I don't think knowing what happens effects the enjoyment of the story. Terra's betrayal, Dick's transition to Nightwing, there is a ton of awesome stuff in here.
    I've been thinking that it really does NOT ruin the enjoyment of the story when you know what's going to happen.

It's just that you have to read the story in a different way.

Those of us who read Judas Contract or Great Darkness Saga or Dark Phoenix, etc. month-to-month enjoy it because we didn't know what was going to happen, but the story felt bigger than normal.

People reading it now can enjoy it from the perspective of knowing in advance that it is a pivotal piece of comics history that they now get to experience.

For me, it's the same as when I read the Death of Gwen Stacy as a reprint or buying the O'Neill/Adams Green Lantern-Green Arrow run as back issues. There is a certain thrill in getting your hands on a classic storyline knowing in advance that it is a classic. It's different than being part of the audience that DECIDED a story was a classic, but it's still rewarding nonetheless.