Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Warlock

Default Adam Warlock

I've been re-reading the DnA Guardians run recently and quite fancy reading more about Adam Warlock.

I see he has a Marvel masterworks which is quite pricy, and also a Warlock: Complete Collection which is a lot easier on the wallet!

Can anyone recommend which of these is the better choice? Or any other collections worth picking up that focus on the character?

Thanks

Astonishing Member

The Marvel Masterworks v1 collects earlier stuff, which was good but not as foundational/lauded as the Jim Starlin run.

The complete collection is all Starlin, and is a fine start. If you like it a lot, you can go back and pick up v1 of Masterworks (vol 2 is essentially the "The complete collection", as far as I can tell, with a few minor extras).

I can't rightly say I cared for much of the post Return Starlin stuff, but of course that's some of the most popular Warlock around. Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade is where you'd find those.

I believe that is it for in print TPBs, though I could be wrong?

Just get this one:
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Just get this one:
    Haha thanks.

Can anyone recommend any other good Warlock stories? I know he was involved with a lot of the Infinity Gauntlet stuff.
    Any recommendations there?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrStrange View Post
    I've been re-reading the DnA Guardians run recently and quite fancy reading more about Adam Warlock.

I see he has a Marvel masterworks which is quite pricy, and also a Warlock: Complete Collection which is a lot easier on the wallet!

Can anyone recommend which of these is the better choice? Or any other collections worth picking up that focus on the character?

Thanks
    I recommend the Essential Warlock collection, according to description: Collecting MARVEL PREMIERE #1-2, WARLOCK (1972) #1-15, INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) #176-178, STRANGE TALES (1951) #178-181, MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #55 and ANNUAL #2, and AVENGERS ANNUAL (1967) #7. It's black and white, so if that bugs you maybe try for the color version (though this is cheaper). in my opinion black & white is strongest when the artist is very talented, and between Gil Kane, John Byrne in his prime, and Jim Starlin I'd say it looks and reads better than the color versions. One of my favorite collections:

warlock2.jpg

BANNED

As to later stories, stick to Infinity Gauntlet, skip just about anything Starlin outside of the Infinity Watch series after that. I loved his early stuff, but it really went off the rails after a while. War wasn't too bad, but compared to what came before it's pretty meh. It is a shame he wasn't a part of the rebooted GotG series.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I recommend the Essential Warlock collection, according to description: Collecting MARVEL PREMIERE #1-2, WARLOCK (1972) #1-15, INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) #176-178, STRANGE TALES (1951) #178-181, MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #55 and ANNUAL #2, and AVENGERS ANNUAL (1967) #7. It's black and white, so if that bugs you maybe try for the color version (though this is cheaper). in my opinion black & white is strongest when the artist is very talented, and between Gil Kane, John Byrne in his prime, and Jim Starlin I'd say it looks and reads better than the color versions. One of my favorite collections:

warlock2.jpg
    I think I'd find the black and white hard to read. I tried some of the Punisher and Spider-man essentials and couldn't enjoy them for the artwork.

i'd also suggest the Abnett and Lanning Guardians run. Adam isn't in every issue but he does play an important role.

Extraordinary Member

Just get this one:
    I have that, and it's a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    i'd also suggest the Abnett and Lanning Guardians run. Adam isn't in every issue but he does play an important role.
    I've already read that entire run twice through. On my third go round at the moment and that's what sparked my Warlock interest!
    Have bought The Complete Collection so hopefully I enjoy it!

Isn't Starlin bringing him back in the upcoming Thanos OGN?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Isn't Starlin bringing him back in the upcoming Thanos OGN?
    Yes, though according to the rumors Warlock is off limits after that.
    BB

Yes, though according to the rumors Warlock is off limits after that.
    Why?
    10char

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Why?
    10char
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/...ies-at-marvel/
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    BB

Well, hopefully that changes.