Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You're misusing the word "apropos" and saying the opposite of what you intended.

As a fictional character, Barry can't "take" anything unless he "takes" it within the story. Within the story, Barry saw The Turtle committing crimes and causing harm with his super powers. He didn't "take" anything from Wally by choosing to fight The Turtle. The language we use is important, especially when it comes to identifying grievances and attributing culpability.

Ultimately, I don't think The Turtle retroactively having super-powers is something that will bother most fans of Wally West, or negatively impact future story potential for Wally West. I think dwelling on it can only give a poor impression of the fan base and distract from the bigger issues.
    I changed my grammar but I feel like, at this point, you're being needlessly obtuse. Yes, fictional characters can't do anything because they're not real. But I'm absolutely sure you know exactly what I and others are talking about.

What is with you slicing out one tiny piece of what I'm saying and ignoring the rest? It's not JUST the Turtle thing. The Turtle thing is just another in a long list of a terrible behavior. Are you TRYING to misunderstand me? Because I'm sure you read my post and read that I listed a bunch of other things, but you straight up ignored all of it.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Barry Allen is a boring character. DC has realized this.

So DC's genius strategy to make him sell is by turning him into the Flash that everyone loves.

It's dumb but simple.
    Except they didn't have him dye his hair red and get green contact lenses. Which is a major thing to miss. Those are very iconic you know. I would having become a barry allen fan. if it wasn't for that. /s

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Except they didn't have him dye his hair red and get green contact lenses. Which is a major thing to miss. Those are very iconic you know. I would having become a barry allen fan. if it wasn't for that. /s
    I think that happened in a Bendis Superman issue .

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Barry Allen is a boring character. DC has realized this.

So DC's genius strategy to make him sell is by turning him into the Flash that everyone loves.

It's dumb but simple.
    Which Flash is that?

If we were in an alternate realty where every single fan’s “first choice” was Wally...DC would be pursuing a much simpler strategy...Wally would still be main Flash.

Let's face it DC has made a ton of mistakes on Flash franchise over the last 10 years.

Biggest one for me was bringing back Barry as "main" Flash...although I do actually prefer him to Wally overall. (Jay I prefer to both.) I think it threw the greatest story telling strength of the Flash set-up away...that it was practically only area in Marvel/ DC where legacy story telling held sway.

I actually think it was time to replace Wally as main Flash...his character development arc (as main guy) has run its full course, and he had grown massively too powerful over the years.

But he should have been replaced by Bart...ideally in a mega story arc in which Barry had come back to help Wally and Bart in some final adventure for them as a trio. Wally and Linda maybe could have gone into speed force together at the end...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Which Flash is that?

If we were in an alternate realty where every single fan’s “first choice” was Wally...DC would be pursuing a much simpler strategy...Wally would still be main Flash.
    When Barry came back the overwhelming majority preferred Wally. Though those fans are long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    When Barry came back the overwhelming majority preferred Wally. Though those fans are long gone
    I think the polls I saw on character popularity around time of comeback were surprisingly close..obviously Wally was substantially more popular, but not “overwhelmingly” so...it surprised me that gap wasn’t bigger given length of tenure Wally had at that point as main Flash.

Astonishing Member

I think the polls I saw on character popularity around time of comeback were surprisingly close..obviously Wally was substantially more popular, but not “overwhelmingly” so...it surprised me that gap wasn’t bigger given length of tenure Wally had at that point as main Flash.
    I don't know what vague gap or poll you're talking about but Wally, even now, crushes popularity polls because a lot of his fans are whiny, vocal, and online.

There was just nearly no call for Barry to come back at the time. Very little fan interest, as shown with mediocre sales numbers on his return special despite more advertising than Wally ever got in his entire life.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I don't know what vague gap or poll you're talking about but Wally, even now, crushes popularity polls because a lot of his fans are whiny, vocal, and online.
    Are you talking here, Dred? Dick Grayson beats Batman here a lot, too, but he obviously isn't nearly as popular as Bruce Wayne among CB purchasers or the average person in general. Now if there's a scientific poll stating Wally is significantly more popular than Barry (which may be the case, FWIW), then that would be substantive.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Are you talking here, Dred? Dick Grayson beats Batman here a lot, too, but he obviously isn't nearly as popular as Bruce Wayne among CB purchasers or the average person in general. Now if there's a scientific poll stating Wally is significantly more popular than Barry (which may be the case, FWIW), then that would be substantive.
    I’ve not seen anything I’d regard as super convincing. But 10 mins googling stuff such as “who is most popular Flash” is coming back with Barry Allen. What would anybody really expect now?

I’ve not seen anything I’d regard as super convincing. But 10 mins googling stuff such as “who is most popular Flash” is coming back with Barry Allen. What would anybody really expect now?
    At this point, Jack, I would bet money Barry is indeed more popular (though how much I have no idea) and every new year makes the gap that much greater. Having said that, a scientific poll would be nice to confirm our assumptions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Wally is certainly not more popular in any poll that would include a significant portion of people. Even just on comics fans alone these days Barry has more fans, just less of them trompsing around, looking in forums where these polls would be had. I wasn't talking about just here. Another example would be reddit where he won the first Character of the Year as a big popularity vote purely because he has a desperate, nearly radicalized fanbase who have literally nothing else. When you've got no comics to buy then the only place to enjoy your character is in discussion.

Wally was much, much more popular during his tenure. If only for the cartoon. Now Barry is much, much more popular, if only for the TV show.
    Last edited by Dred; 08-05-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Wally is certainly not more popular in any poll that would include a significant portion of people. Even just on comics fans alone these days Barry has more fans, just less of them trompsing around, looking in forums where these polls would be had. I wasn't talking about just here. Another example would be reddit where he won the first Character of the Year as a big popularity vote purely because he has a desperate, nearly radicalized fanbase who have literally nothing else. When you've got no comics to buy then the only place to enjoy your character is in discussion.

Wally was much, much more popular during his tenure. If only for the cartoon. Now Barry is much, much more popular, if only for the TV show.
    Okay, it looks like we're in agreement then, Dred.