Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Default Is There Room For Another Team in D.C.

I guess I'm talking from my own desires here, because I do like a lot of little known characters.. but..

Is there room for another team in DC that isn't hmm... how do I put this?

That ISN'T:
    A. "Justice Something"
    B. "Under the thumb of, the offspring of, the former sidekick of: "Justice Something"
    C. Inspired by, or hasn't been one of the endless enemies of: "Justice Something"

I'm not asking for the Authority but even in D.C. proper "The Elite" from "What so funny about Truth Justice and the American Way"
    eventually gave way to "Justice League: Elite" (to be fair I read all of that though)

Nor, am I asking specifically for a team of Ethnic heroes ala "THE GREAT 10" (though again I did read all of that), but
    that was a good take on having another book imho. And I found it interesting that while ... kenan kongs book showed the august general in iron, All
    I wondered during the "Justice League of China" was where is the great 10.

So... is there room for other Team Books?

I mean even the Terrifics was kind of made of former "justice" people ultimately, and Jim Lee's "The Immortal Men" (terrible name by the way) was gone in the blink of an eye.

That being said: See "Title". Is there room? Would you buy something team based outside of the JSA/JLA/LEGION/TITANS hegemony?
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 07-25-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member

Sounds like That Power Company Book they tried for a minute way back .... 10..... 15 yrs ago.

I take it "Birds of Prey" and "Outsiders" don't count for being too Batman or JLA connected?

I really liked "Power Company" and "Primal Force" but those didn't last.

I really liked the Palmiotti/Acuna "Freedom Fighters" - that team had a decent run comparatively.

I really liked Simone's "Secret Six" - I think that was fairly successful at the time.

And of course "DOOM PATROL." Those guys always seem to find a way back.

"Metal Men" are coming back - we'll see how much room there is for them.

What team of heroes would you like to see? There has to be some sort of draw.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved Shadowpact before it got replaced by Justice League Dark. I have always been a fan of stuff like the Metal Men, Outsiders, Doom Patrol, Omega Men, L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S., and the other non Justice League related teams.

With the right heroes in the cast. I always thought DC could have an espionage team with all their spy agencies. Or have a few characters who serve as spies all in one book where they try outplay each other.

Right now we’ve got Terrifics which features no Bat or Super characters and doesn’t have anyone bowing before the JL. Unfortunately the problem is that the JL has always been the team for DC, in a way that Marvel hasn’t had. The FF, X-Men, and now Avengers have all taken turns as the premier team, whereas the teams at DC have usually always had a Bat or Super character as either member or leader.

I would like to see something like the Global Guardians now. Or something to see more how all the international superheroes interact each other.

Or a Seven Soldiers team of people without superpowers fight against superpowerful menaces.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

there is room for just about anything, it's all a matter how competently it's executed.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

It depends on the roster and the team's purpose. If you have a roster of characters people want to see and do a competent job writing, no one cares about the team's purpose. If you have an interesting purpose and competent writing, a team of unpopular characters could sell because readers are interested in the team's concept.

The DC universe never really had an Avengers equivalent(Teen Titans in its prime was always closer to the X Men). I've seen a lot of people compare the Avengers to the JL but the concepts behind the teams are completely different. Avengers had a lot of reformed villains(Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver being the most prominent) and anti- hero types who remained mainstays on the team. JL only had one reformed criminal as a mainstay(Plastic Man, though he's not with the current roster)and the rest only joined for a story arc or two before reverting back to villainy.

DC could do with a team with a similar make-up to the old school Avengers. Pit them against some reimagined obscure villains and see what happens.

"Room" really isn't the question. In a universe with hundreds of unused characters, you gotta figure there's always a bunch of B, C, and Z-List heroes gathering together - you just don't read about them.

The question is "why would I want to read about THIS group?" What the hook that makes them interesting?

Justice League - The World's Greatest Heroes fighting the universe's greatest menaces.
    Justice League Dark - See above, but with magic.
    Legion of Super-Heroes - The future of the DCU protected by an army of teen super-heroes.
    Teen Titans - Young adults with young adult drama, preparing to make their way until the world of A-list super-herodom.
    Suicide Squad - Super-Villains coerced to do good in a backstabbing espionage setting
    Challengers of the Unknown - Explorers with spandex
    Doom Patrol - Strange and damaged super-heroes fighting menaces too weird for the JLA
    Outsiders - Unsanctioned super-heroes operating outside regular channels
    Hero Hotline - 9 to 5 super-heroes on call in an urban setting. Kind of an Uber for super-heroes.
    And so on...

So, you're making a group. Are they teenage super-heroes more concerned with upvotes than saving lives? Are they being crowdfunded to protect a city? Are they Booster Gold's secret timeline police? What's their deal?

'Cause there's always room for more super-hero groups.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I liked the concept behind We Are Robin. Shame the book didn't last

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

(~_~) .... this thread kinda fills me with sadness.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    Sounds like That Power Company Book they tried for a minute way back .... 10..... 15 yrs ago.
    Which was by Kurt Busieck and REAL GOOD!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

There's always room but if it's not Justice Something, written by a star writer or have a corresponding movie, DC's just gonna promote the number #1 issue during their debut and after that leave them to their fate.