Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Spider-Man: Far From Home is the first Spidey film to make over $1 billion

Box Office: 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' Crosses $1B in a Franchise First

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-first-1226598

Sony has gained entry to the billion-dollar club only one other time, with 'Skyfall.'
    Sony and Marvel Studios' Spider-Man: Far From Home has swung past the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office, becoming the first installment in the franchise to do so, not adjusted for inflation.

Further, it's only the second Sony movie to become a member of the billion-dollar club behind 2012 James Bond entry Skyfall ($1.1 billion), made in partnership with MGM. And Sony becomes the first studio besides Disney to boast the milestone since Universal's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom earned $1.3 billion a year ago.
    Don't expect the Sony/Marvel deal to end any time soon.

Deadline confirmed that those rumors were false, which makes sense.

Congrats to the film! I highly enjoyed it and am glad that it made a good amount of money. I just wished the first could've been for Spider-Verse, but I'm biased lol

Congrats for the Spidey Franchise I expect the 3rd film in 2021 cause there is space between Doctor Strange 2 and Thor 4 in terms of films
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spider-MONEY
    Spider-MONEY
    Does whatever a spider MAKE THAT MOTHERFUCKIN' MONEY
    Spins a STACK A DOLLLAS
    ANY SIZE
    Catchin' BENJAMINS
    BUT THE PAPER DON'T DIE
    CHA-CHING!
    Here comes the Spider-MONEY
    SWINGING STRAIGHT INTO THE BANK
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

When not adjusted for inflation ...

Inflation is a funny thing. When you adjust for inflation, things get crazy because a movie from 1939 is still far and away the highest grossing of all time. And Endgame is down the list a bit.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Inflation is a funny thing. When you adjust for inflation, things get crazy because a movie from 1939 is still far and away the highest grossing of all time. And Endgame is down the list a bit.
    Well that just takes the fun out of it.

Nice to see it do well. I think it deserved it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Congrats to all involved. I still don't like the film that much but that's just my view.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Congrats to all involved. I still don't like the film that much but that's just my view.
    "You try to be friendly..."
    - Captain Cold, Injustice 2

BANNED

The adjusting for inflation thing is mostly nonsense.

It ignores the fact that the entire culture has changed over time.

People went to the movies in much greater numbers in, say, 1939 because there was nothing else for entertainment.

Movies weren't competing with TV, or video games, or streaming, or DVDs or DVRs or any of the other modern distractions that fragment the entertainment dollar today.

And adjusting for inflation also assumes that somehow Gone with the Wind or whatever would have sold the same amount of tickets at today's prices.

It's ridiculous. People just need to stop trying to insert that "when not adjusted for inflation" asterisk when mentioning that a movies crosses a box milestone.

Congrats to Far From Home. Loved it, glad to see it meet with such success.

BANNED

Making a billion dollars seems to happen far more now than it did before. It was a big unattainable thing when Titanic did it in the 90s. None of the Star Wars hit that number in the '70s. But A New Hope is still the biggest of those films. But then all sorts of movies hit that mark these days...freaking Aquaman, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies nobody remembers, Minions, two of the Transformers movies, and so on. I wonder if that means a billion dollars means less than it did once, even if it still means more than any of us here can fathom.

At best it means highest grossing movie of a given year or year after doesn't mean anything inherently.

Also remember that Far From Home's US box-office sales is $329mn and more. As a rule, any Hollywood production rises and thrives on its US Sales. Foreign and international sales count for less because grosses there go into all kinds of fees, international distributors and so on. Like Age of Ultron made a billion dollars but disney executives and so on considered it a failure because it didn't make enough in US.

In terms of US box-office gross, Raimi's Spider-Man 1 is still #1. It made more money in America than Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 3. And adjusted for inflation, it's double FFH's current take.

Far From Home's box-office success also depended on Homecoming's good reception, the MCU's hot streak, Endgame's big success as well. Similar to how Spider-Man 3's high box-office returns depended entirely on the goodwill of the first two movies, and Spider-Man 3 cast such a pall that no Spider-Man film after it reached it until very recently with Venom making a higher profit margin, and so on.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 07-25-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Honestly, even with his relation to Tony, I still personally found Mysterio to be my favorite adapted to screen Spider-Man villain. I actually walked out of FFH pumped for a sequel, something which I didn't quite feel leaving Homecoming.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Don't expect the Sony/Marvel deal to end any time soon.
    Good, stop rebooting the character on film.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

just imagining the chat over the bubbly as the far from home team pop the champers tonight in celebration

"oh dear, before we sip...did anyone remember to adjust for inflation? despite the fact it would make no sense to do so?"

"hear hear!"

"and what about remembering that raimi's spider-man had a far better domestic box office than we managed to pull off?"

"hmmm, true. perhaps a moment's silence? in mourning?"

"i don't know if i want to spend the night being petty and grinchy...how about you guys?"

"NOPE. bottoms up!"

times are changing, the u.s box office doesn't mean as much as it once did (pacific rim) and there's reasons hollywood doesn't adjust for inflation and nobody in the business draws comparisons between movies decades apart. that's just left up to the "fans" i guess.

far from home is a huge success, and the entire team deserves to be congratulated on it.
    Last edited by boots; 07-26-2019 at 04:35 AM.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    just imagining the chat over the bubbly as the far from home team pop the champers tonight in celebration
    If they can afford champagne, I can' imagine they'd care for the opinions of any naysayer. I can't afford champagne, but I can denigrate and poke holes in other people's success for free.

In any case, since Sony is the one who gets to keep all this box-office money, it's in their interests, and that of their accountants to play down as much as they can the success of the MCU Spider-Man films in their Disney interactions. Because at the end of the day, Sony wants Spider-Man and its rights to be with them. The minute they lose Spider-Man, Sony Pictures will be gutted and sold off by its parent company. It is their Star Wars. Hollywood accountants are literal wizards and are notorious for playing up and playing down successes as a way to cheat people of profits, royalties, licenses, and other stuff.

times are changing, the u.s box office doesn't mean as much as it once did (pacific rim)
    Why do you think Kevin Feige runs the MCU single-handedly without interference by Isaac Perlmutter? He did it by banking on Ultron underperforming on expectations. It made $1bn+ but it fell below expectations. It earned far less in its US totals than Avengers 1 did, and Feige said that it could have earned more if there had been less Perlmutter. Both IW and Endgame exceeded Avengers 1 in US grosses, so that's why Feige gets to keep his job. For those interested, Avengers 1 earned $623mn in US grosses, Ultron earned $459mn, that's a loss of some $150mn and so.

And the bit about companies keeping most of the money in US releases is true. A movie that underperforms domestically but does well internationally is still considered a failure. International markets are important but they are mostly an extra special bonus.

...and there's reasons hollywood doesn't adjust for inflation and nobody in the business draws comparisons between movies decades apart. that's just left up to the "fans" i guess.
    It's also accountants, industry professonials and so on. The truth is box-office success and so on is always a mug's game. And it's imperfect. Adjustment for inflation being imperfect doesn't mean it's irrelevant mostly when it's deployed as a way for fans of movies to insist that their special movie be #1 even when it isn't. And it's totally fair to measure the past against the present. The fact that Gone With the Wind, a pro-Confederate nostalgia piece is the #1 movie of all time doesn't please me one bit, but the fact's are facts.