Well I think the predominant reasons behind his lack of exposure/use is Quicksilver and Iceman. In terms of the promotional stand point the two most obvious qualities (powers/sexual orientation) of Northstar are overshadow by more prominent characters. This is part of the reason why I think Iceman and Northstar would be a good couple; it promotes Northstar and ties Iceman (Marvel's now most prominent LGBTQ character) to the LGBTQ history of Marvel. However, they are settling into a fantastic friendship.

Another downfall is Northstar doesn't really have strong ties to any characters. Alpha Flight is a cult team that is rarely used and even within the team Northstar was mostly a loner except for his sister (oh look another Quicksilver similarity). Northstar joined the X-Men in Chuck Austen's run and the only characters he spoke to was Iceman and D-Lister Nurse Annie. He mentors Anole. His husband is generic (no ties to anyone or thing). Fraction had him and Dazzler pair up which I thought was the first we see him branch out. It wasn't until Liu's Astonishing X-Men that Northstar felt like he was a central figure... on the C-Team, but nonetheless a star and central player. That was a short run. And then finally Amazing X-Men debuts and it feels like might just be on the flagship team; then Jason Aaron jumps the book and it completely goes directionless and cancelled. He appears in the 12 person X-Team in Disassembled; but as a background figure. They need to play up his ties to Wolverine, continue to expand his friendship with Iceman and Dazzler, and build new friendships and role within the X-Universe.

He deserves his big break. He is on the Dawn of X character chart but I don't believe any news as to where he will appear.