Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Fantastic Four #12 SPOILERS and review

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I like that Slott seems to have gotten the characters voices right, except for the Lyja joke. That situation shouldn’t be treated as a joke, but a serious violation of both Johnny and Alicia.

first hickman made reed cool again then he got a beard now he has a coat

it has to stop where is the line he can't become anymore DADDY
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Seems like a pretty straightforward old timey Hulk vs. Thing story. Comedy seems to be good, except for that Lyja joke. Ben giving out autographed pictures of himself will never not be funny.

Hope it's good.

Slott, don't screw this up.

Yeesh, I feel like some of Marvel's writers think it's okay to just make jokes about stuff that happened in the older ages, but I mean, seriously. That Lyja joke is fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I like that Slott seems to have gotten the characters voices right, except for the Lyja joke. That situation shouldn’t be treated as a joke, but a serious violation of both Johnny and Alicia.
    We'd think so, and I suspect that joke might have gone over considerably differently had one of the four not made it. Families dealing with tragedy like personal mistakes, or diseases sometimes make very inappropriate jokes about those circumstances. They just don't let anybody else do it.

And to be honest, Johnny's gotten off a lot of inappropriate stuff to Ben as well. I can certainly understand them being OK with it between themselves, anyway.

BANNED

Perhaps I'm not as up on my Fantastic Four lore as I thought I was. Is this 'annual transmutation' for the Thing something already established or did Dan Slott just pull the idea out of his ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Perhaps I'm not as up on my Fantastic Four lore as I thought I was. Is this 'annual transmutation' for the Thing something already established or did Dan Slott just pull the idea out of his ass?
    Established in Hickman’s run. The Future Foundation found a cure for his transformation that on lasts a day (or was it a week?) annually.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

2019 and writers still don't get that if two people have sex with one another, but one of them doesn't know who the other is (whether by shape-shifting, mind-control, etc), then that person is being raped. But, oh, Johnny's a man, so it's OK.

BANNED

Established in Hickman’s run. The Future Foundation found a cure for his transformation that on lasts a day (or was it a week?) annually.
    Ah, so there's precedent. Thanks for clearing that up. I must read Hickman's Fantastic Four at some point, I'm a fan of his work otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Ah, so there's precedent. Thanks for clearing that up. I must read Hickman's Fantastic Four at some point, I'm a fan of his work otherwise.
    It happened once in Hickman's run, once more in Fraction's, and counting down to one in Slott's run. Those worrying about time passing can state two years have passed since the Future Foundation found the fix for Ben.

As for the day or week, I'm leaning towards week. Ben only ages while human and died between 5012 and 6012. That gives him 3000-4000 days or weeks. Now 4000 days is only 11 years which isn't that much more and Ben should have easily made it that long. With weeks, Ben lives another 58-77 years which makes a lot more sense. But this assessment also ignores any changes made in the formula which, let's face it, are going to happen with every writer who thinks they have a nifty-keen idea.

I reread it recently. It's a week. Also the Fraction run took place in a whole isolated year or something.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I reread it recently. It's a week. Also the Fraction run took place in a whole isolated year or something.
    That's right. The Fraction year I've been going on about regarding the kids' ages and I forget it here. Perhaps I'd best get some sleep. Nice catch, Snoop Dogg.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    2019 and writers still don't get that if two people have sex with one another, but one of them doesn't know who the other is (whether by shape-shifting, mind-control, etc), then that person is being raped. But, oh, Johnny's a man, so it's OK.
    It might also have something to do with the fact that the situation ended up becoming a lot more complicated than that, and Johnny and Lyja getting involved for real after her deception was finally exposed.

It doesn't make how the whole thing started any less creepy or wrong, but it does mean that Johnny has moved past the whole rape/violation aspect of it and his history with her is about more than just that now.